Wild new engine design...

pista

definitely interesting concept! timing would be a major pain (extremely critical), im having a hard time seeing how they would keep it well oiled thou?

I kinda like this one, V8 with only 2 connecting rods and its made to fit in a ducati 900SS :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E6KglXPmTs&feature=player_embedded

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2010/10/01/ducati-elenore-868cc-v8/

edit: added links

Edited by VanDySS
bad link(s) fixed

Due to it's unweighted spooling capacity, an engine like this could spin up to 20k-30k rpm in no time flat - the intake/exhaust systems look as if derived from variable-geometry turbo's with actuated vane inlets and outlets.....mmmm, sort of rotary engine like. I'm assuming these would be high maintenance powerplants. Still, be interesting to see the capabilities of both output and longevity. 2 cyl. version in a sportbike would be a sweet concept to see prototyped, and aircraft would love this thing! Lighter and more powerful would make it less demanding on "lift" and turn an average Cessna into an acrobat:D:D:D

Mixed feelings. Unless the power to weight ratio is something better than an ordinary engine, there really isn't a performance advantage. Somewhere in the data it says 1 to 2 pounds of engine weight per horsepower. 2 pounds per isn't special. 1 pound is impressive.

How do you get fuel in there?

it said something about a swivel fitting on the cylinder 'wheel' with, i would assume, a channel, manifold style, in the cylinder assembly feeding through to 'top' of the cylinder.

also, i was left to assume this works off of pressure, like a diesel? didnt see any plugs in there......

Mixed feelings. Unless the power to weight ratio is something better than an ordinary engine, there really isn't a performance advantage. Somewhere in the data it says 1 to 2 pounds of engine weight per horsepower. 2 pounds per isn't special. 1 pound is impressive.

it gets cool points, though. it would be fun on a go-cart.

How do you get fuel in there?

Because there are no intake or exhaust valves, the combustion chamber can be designed for optimum combustion efficiency. Direct fuel injection in the center of the cylinder chamber and spark ignition in the center of the piston also insures a clean exhaust (for diesel it allows for optimum piston configuration)

I think cooling and frontal area are two deciding factors against aviation use, cooling in recip aircraft is about 70+% of drag (iirc)

The Circle cycle engine is air cooled from the inside and as such does not require a radiator, because of this, the aerodynamics of the vehicle can be significantly improved.

now i'm not the worlds greatest engineer, but to me, that looks like a HORRIBLE design for an engine...

Agree. Looks like if it gets slightly out of align it's going to explode.

Edited by Gump

The Circle cycle engine is air cooled from the inside and as such does not require a radiator, because of this, the aerodynamics of the vehicle can be significantly improved.

i missed that part! but small aircraft engines where most experimental stuff takes place are about 65-100hp and .58hp to weight ratio, so that would be a plus, but... the cooling air has to come from somewhere!

i missed that part! but small aircraft engines where most experimental stuff takes place are about 65-100hp and .58hp to weight ratio, so that would be a plus, but... the cooling air has to come from somewhere!

It's a vane-type intake/exhaust system that would probably pull air from one side and exhaust it on the other? Not exactly sure, haven't read that much about it on their site but I'm under the assumption that's how it would work

Yikes on the timing belt replacement!!

No valvetrain so no timing belt/chain :D completely gear driven for bigger wallet woe's later :mad: