anyone use electric heat in their garage?

oldschoolsdime92

I def like jfvb's comments and totally agree. If Im working in the garage it's a quick oil change or just prepping the bike. Normally it's not that cold during those times. In the winter months we normally get our oil changes done at a garage just for this reason. BUT the one I posed will def. keep it in the 70s too, just work harder than the hanging model I posted etc.

Have you checked out garagejournal.com. There is all kind of info on everything related to garages/workshops. If you have a window in your garage, you could try a window mount heatpump-like a window air conditioner but it heats & cools!

Have you checked out garagejournal.com. There is all kind of info on everything related to garages/workshops. If you have a window in your garage, you could try a window mount heatpump-like a window air conditioner but it heats & cools!

I remember seeing some of those at wally world last year

OldSchool, no bigger than your garage is you would probably be fine with the tanktop propane radiant element heaters but may take an hour or so to get the garage up to a desirable temp. Or use a tanktop radiant along with a 120v space heater together, probalby be fine and easier to store them away in the warmer months :dunno:

I have the double propane tanktop heater. It's rated at 30,000 btus with both running on high. The expected time is 14 hours to empty a 20lb tank. I hardly ever use both burners and can heat my 800 square foot garage to a comfortable 60 degrees or more in hardly any time at all. No fumes, approved for indoor use. The nice thing about propane is it's a fixed cost, no surprises.

The rest of the time I have a gen4 edenpure running that can max out at 5000 btus and only requires a 20 amp circuit. The edenpure was a scratch and dent unit I found on ebay for half retail price and I usually run it at 50% or less.

unfortunately if your garage isnt insulated decently, heating it will be a issue.

i had to run a 150k forced air kerosene heater in my 20x22 to keep warm before i re did the garage.

fumes sucked, , no real temp control.

if you turned it off it would get cold quick.

best thing i ever did was insulate the garage. now i can leave my wall unit on setting 3 and she gets warm pretty quick. i had to put a fan up top to circulate heat. works great.

in your situation, unless you insulate you need somethign small you can direct heat onto you. try one of those Mr.Heater Big Buddy heaters

http://www.tractorsupply.com/mr-heater-reg-big-buddy-trade-portable-heater-18-000-btus-2133493

infared panels, and has a built in electric fan.

the propane isnt very noticeable smell wise.

The biggest trick to getting the most out of any heater is good insulation, and good air circulation. A good ol ceiling fan works great for pushing warm air around (plus it doubles as ventilation during warm weather), and a good amount of ceiling insulation keeps it from going straight through the roof.

My workshop is an insulated area about 8 1/2 ft x 26 ft. I have an old ceiling fan in it, and use either a propane barn heater like someone pictured in an earlier post, or sometimes I just crank up a small portable kerosene heater and in minutes I can raise the temp by 20-30 degrees.

I built this small stall area within my barn thats 26 x 48 and left large door openings so I could drive a vehicle in and just bought some 4 x 8 sheets of 2" dow board (pink styrofoam from Menards) to use as doors, which I just slide back and forth side to side.

Yes for sure I agree, if you're not well insulated it's not too easy to keep a space heated consistently. At the very least start off by getting some of the 4x8 foam panels and do the walls and ceiling. Once you've done that, heating (and cooling) is much easier.

Yes for sure I agree, if you're not well insulated it's not too easy to keep a space heated consistently. At the very least start off by getting some of the 4x8 foam panels and do the walls and ceiling. Once you've done that, heating (and cooling) is much easier.

You can insulate (reg. fiberglass roll type) and drywall pretty cheap. Also, anything I buy like that I get a gift card to home depot from Giant Eagle and get discounted or free gas from the "points".

You can insulate (reg. fiberglass roll type) and drywall pretty cheap. Also, anything I buy like that I get a gift card to home depot from Giant Eagle and get discounted or free gas from the "points".

Yep, good plan I have a buddy that does that with everything he builds.

Roll, panel, whatever insulation you want and drywall helps to fireproof.

I'm going to go ventless propane, for next winter when i insulate the garage better, but for now I bought an 4500 watt 13,500 btu electric heater. Between thst and my convection kerosene that's 23000 btu. I heated my garage to 60 degrees from.30 in about 25 minutes. I'm pretty happy with that.

I'm going to go ventless propane, for next winter when i insulate the garage better, but for now I bought an 4500 watt 13,500 btu electric heater. Between thst and my convection kerosene that's 23000 btu. I heated my garage to 60 degrees from.30 in about 25 minutes. I'm pretty happy with that.

You will be very happy with the ventless it will heat the garage up in no time.

• 8 months later...

how many BTU's are necessary to heat a 2-car garage in the winter?

My insulation sucks, but I just want to be able to keep my treadmill out there and not hate life while i'm running and using the pullup bar, so 50 degrees is plenty warm.

In the most extreme situation, I would want to get the garage up to more like 60 or 70 for a few hours if we have a new year's party where people are playing beerpong in the garage.

is 30,000 BTU about right?

image_6319.jpg

a radiant heater like that isnt gonna much of anything. if you stand next to it, yeah youll feel the heat.

but with out some circulation of the air its not gonna do squat.

INSULATE!!

no really thats the only way to actually get heat to stay in the garage. otherwise youll just be working against yourself.

trust me, i have went through this.

the only way to really heat an uninsulated 2 car garage is with a big ass torpedo heater..

a 45k - 60k btu can do it.. but it will be running constantly

you can get one of those little buddy heaters, and they have a built in fan. the fan isnt really enough to circulate but it does an ok job of atleast pushing the hot air out.

get a used ceiling fan and put it in, or a box fan and stick it in the corner. that will help out ALOT