Worthless degrees

ReconRat

Yea, cliches abound, but I'm kind wondering if there's more to the story of "self taught, six figure"-guy up there. He may have mad skills, but I'm guessing he caught a lucky break here or there between opportunities and who's in his 'network'.

22403837.jpg

My degree in underwater basket weaving has sever me well. Just because employees require a degree doesn't mean they require a degree. I've actually been turned down for jobs because the person doing the hiring felt threatened by me. When I say threatened I don't mean by violence, but rather they were concerned I would take their job in a matter of time. The weird part is they actually told me that's why they wouldn't hire me.

When I went to lowe's I flat out asked the store manager what he made and how long to store manager. I was hired. :). I actually intended to follow through with that plan, but the next manager screwed me over.

Lots of degrees are worthless. If you have a degree that requires you to borrow 50k and you make $10.50 an hr after college tge degree is worthless because you will never get your 50k paid off.

He's not totally wrong, though. A lot of IT fields that I have seen out there look for experience. They could care less about a degree. Certifications seem to carry more weight than degrees, as far as I can see. Don't get me wrong, I bet a degree in the IT field helps a bit as well... I don't have a degree yet, but people jump all over me due to my military background with IT. That being said, the military is a great way to get your "foot in the door" in the IT industry, because it's experience, and that seems to be what companies are looking for more than degrees.

That being said, my wife is working on finishing her degree. Why? She can't get promoted without it. Which is dumb, because she already does the job that requires the degree, but HR simply won't budge. MUST have the degree, they said. Oh well, three classes left for her, all online. Too bad it hasn't taught her anything, and I do most of her homework and tests for her, and if not me, Mr. Google helps a lot! ;)

Yea, cliches abound, but I'm kind wondering if there's more to the story of "self taught, six figure"-guy up there. He may have mad skills, but I'm guessing he caught a lucky break here or there between opportunities and who's in his 'network'.

22403837.jpg

My moms ex-bf is a HS drop out who never went to college...he is a self taught programmer and owns his own company now and they deal with a lot of people...his goal was to make a million dollars by the time he was 25 and he did...the guy is doing very well for himself....he started from the ground up without "knowing people"....i dont know the guy above, just saying it is possible and doesnt have to be someone famous like bill gates

http://www.awh.net/ thats his company

My moms ex-bf is a HS drop out who never went to college...he is a self taught programmer and owns his own company now and they deal with a lot of people...his goal was to make a million dollars by the time he was 25 and he did...the guy is doing very well for himself....he started from the ground up without "knowing people"....i dont know the guy above, just saying it is possible and doesnt have to be someone famous like bill gates

http://www.awh.net/ thats his company

Exactly some people have the desire and strive to succeed! I doubt it was easy on him. Quite a few millionaires in America don't have college degrees.

lots of people make >6 figures, if they count the zeros = >9999.99

Exactly some people have the desire and strive to succeed! I doubt it was easy on him. Quite a few millionaires in America don't have college degrees.

its funny though - it always bothered him that my mom had a degree and he didnt....he was considering going to school just to be able to say he had one....my mom was making like 52k/yr when they were dating, and he was making substantially more lol.....real tight ass with his money though, which isnt a bad thing...nice average house in marysville, drove a honda pilot, didnt go out much...was banking money for his kids college fund and his retirement....only time i ever saw him splurge on anything was pre-ordering a camaro when the new body style was coming out, i know he probably paid at least 20k in dealer markup alone...he ordered it like 8 months in advance

its funny though - it always bothered him that my mom had a degree and he didnt....he was considering going to school just to be able to say he had one....my mom was making like 52k/yr when they were dating, and he was making substantially more lol.....real tight ass with his money though, which isnt a bad thing...nice average house in marysville, drove a honda pilot, didnt go out much...was banking money for his kids college fund and his retirement....only time i ever saw him splurge on anything was pre-ordering a camaro when the new body style was coming out, i know he probably paid at least 20k in dealer markup alone...he ordered it like 8 months in advance

No college degree wouldn't bother me at all. I would put a bumper sticker on that camaro look at me I'm a high school drop out, and I paid cash for this car. :)

"...where do you see yourself in10 years?"

You have a reasonable, well thought-out answer ready in 2 seconds or less and have better than average skills, I'll throw some $$$ at you, degree be damned. Can you somewhat/much more than minimally do the job without someone holding your dick, and get along with your co-loafers? That would be a plus...

10 yrs

House paid for, zero debt, loan officer or csr at a bank working my way up to branch manager. Oh by the way I drive a truck now. Why is this the plan? 5-5.25 day work week decent salary, home daily, weekends off, and I like dressing up.

Not guaranteed this is the route I will take but one option.

He's not totally wrong, though. A lot of IT fields that I have seen out there look for experience. They could care less about a degree. Certifications seem to carry more weight than degrees, as far as I can see. Don't get me wrong, I bet a degree in the IT field helps a bit as well... I don't have a degree yet, but people jump all over me due to my military background with IT. That being said, the military is a great way to get your "foot in the door" in the IT industry, because it's experience, and that seems to be what companies are looking for more than degrees.

there are quite a few people I work with that do not have degrees or there degrees are something other than IT such as art, music and history. In fact out of the people that have degrees, almost none of them are IT or even close! I got my associates in IT but I am continuing on to a business management degree because it really doesn't matter what degree you have in my field, and I think a business management degree would be much more valuable when I look to move up into management eventually.

Edited by JStump

Not spending a dime, just trying to get a bachelors since I have been in school for 4 years and still have 2 more to go since I changed majors so much. Still gonna be taking IS classes for all my electives though.

I was working on my degree in Mechanical Engineering Tech. as well as a second one in Drafting & Design awhile ago but dropped out after my GI Bill went dry to pursue to my current career path. The lack of a degree hasn't really hurt me, per say, but I do wish that I had finish it as it surely would have opened up other doors for me.

I also agree with the internship option as I had the opportunity to work in the Nuclear Engineering Department at a nuclear power plant back home while in school. That is one experience I've always valued.