Flooded Basement Basement Advice Needed

tyler524

Looks like you should buy a rowboat.

FYI, those submersible pumps are only about $115 at home depot and hook to a garden hose. I think anyone with a sump pump in their house should have one on hand in the event of an emergency like this or sump failure. Its a small price to pay not to have a flooded basement.

Not to mention, having a battery backup sump pump installed above the primary in the event of primary failure or power outage.

Well the basement is pumping out right now. I looked at all the plumbing through the basement and can't find anything that looks like it has been wet or been dripping. I will have to let the water finish pumping out which might take a while since its probably about 800 gallons of water. Now I just wish I knew where the hell the source of the water is. It didn't appear to really be filling up any more this morning. If the water doesn't come back and the hot water heater is ok, then I don't know what the hell to think.

Well the basement is pumping out right now. I looked at all the plumbing through the basement and can't find anything that looks like it has been wet or been dripping. I will have to let the water finish pumping out which might take a while since its probably about 800 gallons of water. Now I just wish I knew where the hell the source of the water is. It didn't appear to really be filling up any more this morning. If the water doesn't come back and the hot water heater is ok, then I don't know what the hell to think.

How often does your sump run? If its clogged or not pumping out right, it could flood your basement fairly quick. You already said you had not been down there in a few weeks. Could just be a shot sump pump as well. Running doesnt mean pumping.

yeah I mean, I test my Sump Pump about 1 time a month. I put a bucket of water in there and make sure it pumps correctly. No issues yet, knock on wood, but mine also doesn't fill often. But yeah like Flounder said, I definitely have backups too. Never have too many things like that. Actually, I will most likely buy a new sump pump this summer just because it's an older one that I'd like to have.

yeah I mean, I test my Sump Pump about 1 time a month. I put a bucket of water in there and make sure it pumps correctly. No issues yet, knock on wood, but mine also doesn't fill often. But yeah like Flounder said, I definitely have backups too. Never have too many things like that. Actually, I will most likely buy a new sump pump this summer just because it's an older one that I'd like to have.

this is actually a good idea....theyre cheap enough, i know some people who replace theirs every 5 years and keep the most recently "old" one as a backup in their garage

Water heater is good, sump pump is good, water is mostly gone. I am thinking that this water slowly creeped its way into the basement over the past few weeks. I did find out that the outlet of the pump blew the pipe adapter off of the end of it. I don't know if there was a pipe clamp on there to begin with but there wasn't anything there. So a 99 cent hose clamp cost me a few hundred dollars atleast

this is actually a good idea....theyre cheap enough, i know some people who replace theirs every 5 years and keep the most recently "old" one as a backup in their garage

This is what I do. My sump pump runs all the time. My property sits loswer than the majority of the neighborhood. I also installed the basment watchdog battery back up pump. That has saved my as a time or two already. looking into replacing that with a water powered backup pump since we have Delco water. Cant use those on a well.