Water Wetter vs. Ethylene Glycol vs. Poly Glycol

rubbersidedown

I'm looking to step up to the next level this year, Intermediate and Open groups. To do so I need to change my coolant in order to tech so I'd like to get some insight about my choices.

Ethylene Glycol is slippery and that makes is bad for tracks. I R that smart!

But what is the deal with Poly Glycol? Is it also slippery on tracks? I image not since some orgs permit it, so why don't all allow it? It also offers some freeze protection and claims to significantly lower running temps so it would be my coolant of choice since winter draining would not be a requirement.

Then there is Water Wetter. Accepted at all orgs but no freeze protection. Does it lower running temps? Does it protect from corrosion?

Can you answer questions about these products?

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/WaterWetter%20Tech%20Info.pdf

Here is some info about it. It can't really lower running temps, at least not passed the thermostat's operating temps. It does how ever cool down faster and takes longer to heat up.

Run water. Water cools better than any glycol mixture. Use distilled water. Water Wetter is an additive that provides corrosion protection and lubricates water pump seals. Add 1oz per quart.

Flush the cooling system with water 2-3 times to get all the antifreeze out in the spring. Add 50% coolant in the winter for cold storage or use.

Run water wetter, Engine Ice is a pain to clean off the track and some orgs don't allow it. Honestly you should be changing your fluids every season(at the minimum) anyways, so flushing the water wetter is not an issue. In a way it forces you to stay up to date with your maintenance.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/WaterWetter%20Tech%20Info.pdf

Here is some info about it. It can't really lower running temps, at least not passed the thermostat's operating temps. It does how ever cool down faster and takes longer to heat up.

That is a great PDF! Thanks

I see that Propylene Glycol is even more slippery on the track than Ethylene Glycol. The BIG reason some orgs dont allow it. Interesting that some still do.

Run water wetter, Engine Ice is a pain to clean off the track and some orgs don't allow it. Honestly you should be changing your fluids every season(at the minimum) anyways, so flushing the water wetter is not an issue. In a way it forces you to stay up to date with your maintenance.

Clean up the other BIG reason Propylene Glycol is disallowed.

I disagree with needing to change every year. Manufactures recommend a three year change, mostly to replenish the corrosion inhibitors. The Water Wetter recommends a 15,000 mile maintenance. Most riders will not reach that in one year.

Also, Maxima's Kool-Aid is the better way to go vs Water Wetter. It is already mixed and is essentially the exact same thing.

No mess and fuss... Accepted everywhere Water Wetter is...

??

I'm doing the swap this weekend since its going to be about normal temps for getting the bike warmed to temp etc. and Jennings is over so time to prep for MS.

Can you tell me more dude?

Also, Maxima's Kool-Aid is the better way to go vs Water Wetter. It is already mixed and is essentially the exact same thing.

No mess and fuss... Accepted everywhere Water Wetter is...

Do you run Moto Series? Their prep instructions are Water Wetter only. Wondering if they can tell the difference or if they care.

I like the idea of premixed, its easier if you need to top off later down the road (read at the track).

Do you run Moto Series? Their prep instructions are Water Wetter only. Wondering if they can tell the difference or if they care.

I like the idea of premixed, its easier if you need to top off later down the road (read at the track).

Iron Pony sells Water Wetter, both pre-mixed and concentrated, and Kool-aid pre-mixed.

Water Wetter is BS. Buy me a beer and I will piss in your radiator for you. It will be cheaper and accomplish just as much.

It is? You do understand that not lubricating your water pump, etc is going to end badly... The Water Wetter idea isn't BS. That lubrication is essential...

??

I'm doing the swap this weekend since its going to be about normal temps for getting the bike warmed to temp etc. and Jennings is over so time to prep for MS.

Can you tell me more dude?

It's a close call, really. Maxima protects the exotic metals a little better than Redline. You can also add tap water to Maxima if in a pinch and will not add concern over corrosion.

Maxima also mixes great with coolant and will not harm the abilities of that coolant.

Basically, unlike what people on here think - OK, one guys so far... Water has electrolytes. Those used alone will rot your cooling system over time. Scaling and rust.

The big thing is that Redline doesn't protect magnesium which Maxima does. Redline was really designed for cars initially and they do not have the exotic metals the bikes have. Sure, today's cars do more so, but when it was introduced, they didn't.

Water Wetter is good to use. Don't get me wrong. The whole protection of the system is essential. Especially with us using these bikes for racing and track days. But, the little extra you get from the Maxima stuff is better and the price is rather cheap.

Yup, I run MS. Did last year... Ran Maxima. Again, there is nothing in the formula that is hazardous. It is actually the same, but a tad better as mentioned above.

Big thing is if at the track and you need to add water from the tap or a jug of water, etc., WW is done for if you add. You can add to the Maxima...

It is? You do understand that not lubricating your water pump, etc is going to end badly... The Water Wetter idea isn't BS. That lubrication is essential...

I'm trying to get a free beer here and a chance to piss in his radiator. Work with me on this.

It's a close call, really. Maxima protects the exotic metals a little better than Redline. You can also add tap water to Maxima if in a pinch and will not add concern over corrosion.

Maxima also mixes great with coolant and will not harm the abilities of that coolant.

Basically, unlike what people on here think - OK, one guys so far... Water has electrolytes. Those used alone will rot your cooling system over time. Scaling and rust.

The big thing is that Redline doesn't protect magnesium which Maxima does. Redline was really designed for cars initially and they do not have the exotic metals the bikes have. Sure, today's cars do more so, but when it was introduced, they didn't.

Water Wetter is good to use. Don't get me wrong. The whole protection of the system is essential. Especially with us using these bikes for racing and track days. But, the little extra you get from the Maxima stuff is better and the price is rather cheap.

Thanks boss, IP sell it or online only? I'd need to get some tonight/tomorrow/Saturday before I drain my Engine Ice (shhh I ran it last year but don't tell anyone).

Thanks Brian.