$40 removable wheel chock

2talltim

Ok as im installing the chocks in my new trailer i decided to share my novice idea.

Here is what you will need....

Parts:

1. One or more harbor freight wheel chocks if you watch your cycle mags you will find a coupon for these for $24.99

chock.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-chock-96349.html

2. Two removeable anchor tie downs per wheel chock from TCS you can get these for $6.49each

bolt.jpg

http://www.tractorsupply.com/erickson-removable-anchor-5000-lb--3013515

3. Bolts /Washers... (2)-3/4" washers...(2)-1/2"x 1 1/2" bolt with washer and lock washer..all are per wheel chock...about $2 if you buy by the pound at TSC

total price $40 ish

Tools:

Drill w 1/2" chuck

1/2" drill bit for metal

3/4" drill bit for wood

1 1/8" wrench or socket

First figure out where you want to mount your chock, in your truck , trailer, floor, where ever, But keep in mind that you will need room on the underside of the floor for the 3/4" bolt and washer. (i found out the hard way)

Picture005.jpg

i took the chock apart to make it easier

Picture002.jpg

You will also need to figue out where to drill your holes in the chock plate every applcation will be different, i recommend one a couple inches from the back and front on the center line.Then drill using your 1/2" bit

Picture004.jpg

after drilling...

i had to put my front hole further back dure to obstruction in my trailer floor

Picture001.jpg

Next you need to drill your floor, the easiest way i found was to lay the chcok on the floor where it going to be and using the holes in the chock plate as a guide drill the holes holding the plate down with your foot. Or you could mark the spots and drill without the plate. I started with my previous 1/2" bit then......

Picture006.jpg

using the 3/4" bit to make the holes larger...

Picture007.jpg

then the removable anchor will slide in...

Picture008.jpg

then go underneath and tighten up as tight as you wish, with my wood floor i tried to get them pulled into the wood so they would be flush..

Picture009.jpg

from the under side...

Picture012.jpg

Then simply bolt your chock into place...I forgot to get my 1/2" bolts so for sake of the pic im using the eye bolts...

Picture011.jpg

Here are a hand full of final pics of the chock in and out and of the trailer with and without, and of eye hook if you would need to use them for other applications....

Picture014.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Edited by 2talltim

i believe these are more secure and more heavy duty than the pitbull ones ive seen...i can ride my bike up on these and let it stand without straps for a long period of time with no worries. And ive never seen the pitbull ones for less than $50-$60

Edited by 2talltim

I personally like, and use e-track, rather than eye bolts for tie down points.

I like the idea of being able to adjust for different bikes...Just a thought for you...

I use two of the black Harbor Freight wheel chocks with the tie down eye bolts already attached up front, and one just like the two you installed for the third bike in the rear.

I am very anal when it comes to hauling bikes, I use as much caution, and tie them down more than needed.

Two tie downs is more than sufficient with my set up, but I use four instead, just to be safe.

Im set up for 6 tie downs if needed per bike and im going to install a couple more in floor bolts to make my set up more adjustable. I didnt want to use etrack because im also going to use my trailer as a camper for quad riding and i wanted less trips in the floor

I used threaded inserts into the floor of mine and the bolts have a tab that can be removed by hand. This makes it so you can remove them from inside the trailer super quick.

took me maybe 5 min to remove all 4 when i took the pics, maybe the same time to reinstall

Thanks for the info on the coupon I almost bought that chock for full price. I'll have to start checking magazines for it.

i think sport rider has them more frequent...i gave my last one a guy at work ..the rest i have are expired

Im set up for 6 tie downs if needed per bike and im going to install a couple more in floor bolts to make my set up more adjustable. I didnt want to use etrack because im also going to use my trailer as a camper for quad riding and i wanted less trips in the floor

Good Job...

If you do e-track right you won't trip on it. I made mine flush to the floor. The added benefit was since my floor had beams 2ft on center. The e track stiffened up the floor and eliminated the bounce. I was able to pull my bikes out roll out the carpet and camp inside without any bumps.

IMG_0151.jpg100_0702.jpg

Edited by c7fx

Good Job...

If you do e-track right you won't trip on it. I made mine flush to the floor. The added benefit was since my floor had beams 2ft on center. The e track stiffened up the floor and eliminated the bounce. I was able to pull my bikes out roll out the carpet and camp inside without any bumps.

IMG_0151.jpg100_0702.jpg

WANT!!! Man I hope this guy actually comes today and buys my trailer. I like ones that the work is already done :D

Thanks I'll check it out. :)

there are coupons in this months motorcylist and sport rider, i just got mine and if anyone needs one PM me your addy and ill mail you one. Please only ask for one if you are going to use it, not just because im going to do the leg work for nothing

• 1 month later...
there are coupons in this months motorcylist and sport rider, i just got mine and if anyone needs one PM me your addy and ill mail you one. Please only ask for one if you are going to use it, not just because im going to do the leg work for nothing

I picked up a copy of motorcyclist magazine looking for the coupon and liked it so much I subscribed. Damn, they got me! I haven't subscribed to a paper magazine in years.