Advice from OR on oil/filter...

Turbotom09

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still waiting to hear about an engine that failed prematurely due to the oil somebody used.

I've often wondered about the old "Slick 50". It had a lot of graphite in it. I knew a couple of people that used it and had engines fail. But as near as we could tell, they had pretty good engine oil leaks, and the graphite made it leak faster. Causing simply an unexpected engine failure from oil loss.

edit: good grief it's still being sold as an oil/engine treatment. It used to be sold in quarts for oil changes.

http://www.slick50.com/products/AdvFormulaEngineTrt.htm

edit again: a little reading, and Slick 50 isn't graphite anymore, it's now PTFE, which is teflon, invented by DuPont, who say that "Teflon is not useful as an ingredient in oil additives or oils used for internal combustion engines."

edit more: I thought of one more back in the day. Kendall sold a bad batch of oil, and it failed prematurely. Lost all of it's viscosity quickly. In my bike, it lasted only hours, and the engine was making noise. They weaseled on that one, but too many people saw what happened.

Edited by ReconRat

ATTENTION:

Pepboys is getting rid of all of their 4T motorcycle oil 10w-40 and 20w-50 in 4qt jugs Castrol only. While supplies last just pick up two 4qt jugs for $31 and a fram filter for like $7 at Orielly Auto

• 2 weeks later...
Confusion... Shell Rotella has dropped the JASO-MA specifications from their website for Rotella T3 and Rotella T6. It now shows JASO-MA for "Rotella T Triple Protection". I won't be using Rotella any more, not if they can't make up their minds...

edit: HA!, I just looked, it was actually the Rotella T Triple Protection that I bought. It was the only Rotella that had the JASO-MA in the Walmart. Still not impressed that the website said T3 and T6 and then changed it. Pardon me while I go drain that crap.

My jug of Rotella T6 shows JASO-MA on the back of the label. Not sure why the website doesn't say it, but the jugs do.

Mobil 1 and k&n.

I put Rotella T syn in your bike this time, store was out of Mobil1 that I typically use and haven't ordered more Amsoil yet - but that's what I plan to get us. I switched over to Amsoil on my bike last year, so we'll do the same on yours when it's due again.