Hello from Blacklick!

MiDe84

Greetings!

My name is Mike and I live in Blacklick. I very much look forward to being apart of the community. I do not have a bike yet but wanted to get on here and introduce myself.

I am currently in the market for a bike and have right at about 3k to spend. Cant really go more than that due to my Misses aka the banker. :p

I have a question for you guys. I found a 01 Katana in what looks to be good shape. The rear tire looks like it needs a replacement and there is a small amount of rust on the outside of the chain. There are 2 little imperfections on the paint but other than that it idled nicely and seems like a nice bike. It was owed by someone who seems legit and only has 11k miles.

Here is the twist he wont let me test ride it until the title is in my name. That scares me a little bit as I am afraid that something may be off that cant be seen without a test ride.

2nd he is asking for about 400 over kbb due to it having 1/2 the miles its suppose to have per kbb charts of a 2001 motorcycle. Does that seem normal?

Thank you guys for having such an awesome community and help with my first time buying experience.

First, welcome aboard.

About the bike, I'd never buy something I can't ride first. Also, I'd never pay over kbb. For $3k, we can find you some deals. Personally, I'd be looking at SV650's, F4i's, Bandit's, etc. $3k can get you a nice bike, nicer than a 12k Katana that the owner won't let you test ride. Good luck.

PS: If I get some free time I'll post some links to deals for you.

Whats he asking? I wouldnt give him over KBB no matter the miles. Plenty of bikes in the 3k range...

I wont buy it unless I can ride it.

He was asking 2900. He came down to 2650 for the bike and helmet. The helmet surprisingly fits very well. KBB is 2215. The helmet is an arai if i am remembering correctly.

Here is the link to the Katana.

First, welcome aboard.

About the bike, I'd never buy something I can't ride first. Also, I'd never pay over kbb. For $3k, we can find you some deals. Personally, I'd be looking at SV650's, F4i's, Bandit's, etc. $3k can get you a nice bike, nicer than a 12k Katana that the owner won't let you test ride. Good luck.

PS: If I get some free time I'll post some links to deals for you.

Thank you for the offer. The bikes you listed seem like a dream atm. Most of the ones I find are around the 4k mark. I need to find a bike around 2600 2700 so that once taxes and stuff is done I should be sitting at around 3k or the wife will kill me.

Welcome !!!

SV's are great bike's for around 3,000.

I would love to find a sv 3k or less I am rather fond of the sound of a vtwin from riding on my dads Harley for years. O and the 2nd thing I need a rear seat or I would have been all over the one that was for sale on here.

Welcome to OR!

Search the bike shop for bikes that are being sold might be able to one there.

I did try the shops but they seem a bit steep in prices. Cycle Co has a nice z750s but I offered 3k cash and they said they needed more. I emailed them asking how much more but never got a response.

Independent has some nice bikes. They even have a Katana but wanted 3995 and when I called they wouldn't budge on the price at all.

Edited by MiDe84

That price seems high to me. As far as test riding, I actually understand where he is coming from as we would not allow anybody to test drive any of our bikes unless they gave us the cash first. The signing over the title is a little over the top but I don't think it's unreasonable to have the cash in hand. Once the test ride is over, if they no longer wanted the bike, we gave the cash back. Our bikes were always (and currently are) pristine so nobody ever wanted the money back but the options was there. As a previous owner of several salvage motorcycles with less than 15 miles on them (they make nice race bikes!) accidents can and do happen within miles of leaving the showroom so there is no way I'd trust ANYBODY to test ride my bike without covering myself.

Mary

First, welcome aboard.

^^^

This

That price seems high to me. As far as test riding, I actually understand where he is coming from as we would not allow anybody to test drive any of our bikes unless they gave us the cash first. The signing over the title is a little over the top but I don't think it's unreasonable to have the cash in hand. Once the test ride is over, if they no longer wanted the bike, we gave the cash back. Our bikes were always (and currently are) pristine so nobody ever wanted the money back but the options was there. As a previous owner of several salvage motorcycles with less than 15 miles on them (they make nice race bikes!) accidents can and do happen within miles of leaving the showroom so there is no way I'd trust ANYBODY to test ride my bike without covering myself.

Mary

I completely understand this. That is why I offered to have cash in hand for the test ride but he said no that the title needed to be in my name first. I just have an odd feeling about the situation so I am no longer going o try and buy that bike. So time to start over with my search.

welcome.

What part of blacklick do you live in?

By east broad and wagner road.

Oh and welcome!!

Thank you guys for all the welcomes. If anyone comes across a good deal 3k or less I would appreciate the lead.

also when I was looking for my first bike...the world of difference from 3k to 4k is crazy. Find a ton of better options at the 4k mark if you can be patient and save up a bit more