Hub bearing

M_Quick

Last September I replaced the left front hub wheel bearing on my 2003 Chevy Malibu. Well it started getting noisy again already! I purchased through ebay Detroit Axle. they give a 1 year warranty. Not sure how that works, it's not like I can send the bearing in and wait for a replacement 2-3 weeks. So I am wondering who makes a good bearing at a decent price that will last more than a year? I've herd Raybestos and Timken. There around $75 to $100 each. The one I received from ebay was like $36.00 Some bargain ehh, if you don't mind changing them every 5-6 months.

my 98 grand am ate 2 bearing up in about 9 months time, after the second one it was recomended to me i replace the cv half shaft too so i did, and never had to replace another..just some food for thought

That's odd. I'm

Having the exact same issue w my 04 grand Prix. But I didnt get off eBay. I got it from a local parts house. Replaced both. And less than a year later it's roaring again.

NoBama 2012

This video shows how to replace on a truck, but guys says GM vehicles are known for this issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBuGts_Fckw&feature=player_embedded

I buy OEM now my 2000 explorer I had the OEM bearing lasted 120k I changed it with after market and less than a year later needed again

My Malibu just turned 80k. And another thing bad about this vehicle is the front rotors. I had them turned by dealer under warranty at 20k. Then around 40k I replaced, and then at 60k. And they just went again so I tried upgrading to the cross drilled and slotted rotors. I have herd the rotors warping will cause the hub bearing to go. And someone else told me the Malibu's have under size front brake system, the same size as the Cavaliers. I am hoping the better rotors will help dissipate the heat, and eliminate my problems with warping rotors and hub bearings. I have over 155k on my Firebird, I bought used with 86k on it. And I have never changed a bearing or rotor. So I don't believe the video stating all GM's have hub bearing troubles. Maybe my bird isn't new enough to have these problems, idk it's a y2k bird

Edited by M_Quick

my 98 grand am ate 2 bearing up in about 9 months time, after the second one it was recomended to me i replace the cv half shaft too so i did, and never had to replace another..just some food for thought

It is interesting that you didn't have any more failures after replacing the half shaft. I wonder if it was just luck that you got a better bearing that time? I'm pretty sure that there would be more of a problem with the smaller bearings in the ends of the transmission (differential on a 4X4) than the wheel hub, if the cv joints had a problem that would effect a bearing. Not doubting, just trying to make sense. I work on these vehicles all the time and would LOVE to find some way to prolong the life of the bearings!

I see this problem alot on gm vehicles. most of the aftermarket wheel bearings are junk, I suggest only using oem bearing if you plan on keeping the car and dont want to change it every couple months

This is one of the few solutions I've found.

This video shows how to replace on a truck, but guys says GM vehicles are known for this issue.

I stopped watching that video after the guy generalized that "if your wheel moves when rocking it up and down, the wheel bearing is definitely bad" since you HAVE to check and make sure that it's not a ball joint that's bad. On a truck, it's 95% of the time true, but on many front wheel drives, the lower ball joint could be the culprit. MANY times, the growling noise is NOT accompanied by any noticeable play in the bearing. In fact, if the bearing is not replaced fairly soon after it's noticed, the additional heat from the bearing going bad will often make it much more difficult to disassemble. If it was my call, I would add on additional labor at the shop if they're warned about a bearing going bad and they neglect it for a long time before having the job done, and warn them of this when they're told about the bearing going bad.

And another thing bad . I have over 155k on my Firebird, I bought used with 86k on it. And I have never changed a bearing or rotor. So I don't believe the video stating all GM's have hub bearing troubles. Maybe my bird isn't new enough to have these problems, idk it's a y2k bird

Different animal. The firebird doesn't have a cv shaft/hub bearing setup.

NoBama 2012

I stopped watching that video after the guy generalized that "if your wheel moves when rocking it up and down, the wheel bearing is definitely bad" since you HAVE to check and make sure that it's not a ball joint that's bad. On a truck, it's 95% of the time true, but on many front wheel drives, the lower ball joint could be the culprit. MANY times, the growling noise is NOT accompanied by any noticeable play in the bearing. In fact, if the bearing is not replaced fairly soon after it's noticed, the additional heat from the bearing going bad will often make it much more difficult to disassemble. If it was my call, I would add on additional labor at the shop if they're warned about a bearing going bad and they neglect it for a long time before having the job done, and warn them of this when they're told about the bearing going bad.

If it's an 4wd IFS truck in my experience balljoints do go bad at least as often as the bearings.

GM really screwed the pooch with their design change going from the old wheel bearing setup to these new sealed hub assy's that have a very short life and are expensive as hell to replace. The last one I (just) replaced had a 3 year warranty (it failed 1 month before the warranty expired), and I got it from NAPA. Luckily we save all our receipts....lol