New from Stow/Kent

nautical1

Hey all. My names Brett and I just got into motorcycles and recently bought a ninja 250 to learn on. Still waiting to take the MSF course so I'm gonna hold off on riding until I at least learn the basics there but figured I'd introduce myself and maybe meet some people in the area, seeing as no one I keep in touch with anymore even has a bike. So for now I'll just be around until I can hit the road.

Thanks for looking.

The best way to learn is hands on experience. If you can drive a stick the shifting should be a snap, just butterfly youe controls as you would in a car. The only difference is 1down is 1st 1/2 click up for neutral, full click up for second, third, 4th etc... And just click down to go into lower gears. Look where you want to go, not where you want dont wanna go(i.e. Dont look straight if your turning right) dont panic, even if you make a mistake, it just makes things worse, mistakes happen so just keep calm and focused. If your stuck in neutral or cant get into first try rocking the bike a little or letting off the clutch a littlebit(common on the ninja, its nothing you did wrong) dont grip the bars too tight, keep your elbows relaxed. umm, wear all ur gear(helmet is the law, atleast untill after you have held an endorsement for atleast 1 year) and lastly have a good, safe time riding. you should watch the captain crash 60 second lessons(or all his vids) on YouTube, they are really easy to understand and very informative. :-)

The best way to learn is hands on experience. If you can drive a stick the shifting should be a snap, just butterfly youe controls as you would in a car. The only difference is 1down is 1st 1/2 click up for neutral, full click up for second, third, 4th etc... And just click down to go into lower gears. Look where you want to go, not where you want dont wanna go(i.e. Dont look straight if your turning right) dont panic, even if you make a mistake, it just makes things worse, mistakes happen so just keep calm and focused. If your stuck in neutral or cant get into first try rocking the bike a little or letting off the clutch a littlebit(common on the ninja, its nothing you did wrong) dont grip the bars too tight, keep your elbows relaxed. umm, wear all ur gear(helmet is the law, atleast untill after you have held an endorsement for atleast 1 year) and lastly have a good, safe time riding. you should watch the captain crash 60 second lessons(or all his vids) on YouTube, they are really easy to understand and very informative. :-)

Thanks for the tips, and I do plan on riding a little on my street. I just need to get the clutch/braking down and it'll come in time with practice.

• Upvote 1

Make sure to practice your left, right, and u turns on your street, also around 4k on the tach is where youll probably be at(shifting normally) unless you prefer higher RPMs, but around 4k is good, especially since you wont be accelerating fast in a 25mph zone.

What's up no front breaking in corners

I'm assuming this is a question.

Upsets the suspension, transfers the weight to front tire and makes it easier to lose traction, also when you break it tends to stand the bike up which is bad in a turn.

I'm assuming this is a question.

Upsets the suspension, transfers the weight to front tire and makes it easier to lose traction, also when you break it tends to stand the bike up which is bad in a turn.

I think it was a statement, he just forgot the comma :) he is telling him to use his rear breaks around the corners(assuming he needs to use breaks) instead of his front breaks.

I think it was a statement, he just forgot the comma :) he is telling him to use his rear breaks around the corners(assuming he needs to use breaks) instead of his front breaks.

Actually it's not good to use back break either in a turn. Best to brake before then maintain throttle then accel out. If you need to brake in a corner or turn stand the bike up and break hard and turn back in if possible.

Actually it's not good to use back break either in a turn. Best to brake before then maintain throttle then accel out. If you need to brake in a corner or turn stand the bike up and break hard and turn back in if possible.

I know, which is why I said assuming he needs to break :) there could be a fallen tree branch, a large box, an accident, or some other emergency where immediate breaking is needed if there is very little time to react.