VFR800 in Chillicothe

JohnG

http://chillicothe.craigslist.org/mcy/2916362084.html

I have an appt with this guy on Monday to look at this... Anybody know anything about it? I'm guessing someone on here has called about this already. Looks like its been treated pretty badly... And I have very limited knowledge on fuel injected, water cooled bikes.

Don't be afraid of it. Just remember that CL is a place for a lot of people who know nothing about what they are selling. More than likely this bike is a wreck but if it's fixable it's a great bike.

Hard to tell much about condition from those pics. Looks like it was dropped on the left side - mirror missing (~$85) and the clutch lever looks bent. Not a dealbreaker unless the bodywork and tank are messed up too.

I can't figure out the turnsignals, are they smoked dumbo signals, or some weird ghetto flat ones?

The wheels have been repainted or powdercoated. The high outlet pipe is a plus, unless it's ridiculously loud (you could put in a quieter can if needed). Usually when a high mount comes up for sale it gets snapped up pretty quickly.

Plan on replacing the regulator-rectifier and connectors right away unless it's been done recently; probably the biggest weakness of the VFR.

Otherwise, they're very durable if taken care of, lots of them with 50-75k on them. The valve check is 16k, mine were still within spec at 32k.

Check out www.vfrd.com, probably the best resource for VFRs

Its got a nice aftermarket seat. Either a Sargent or maybe a Corbin.

If its clean (other than the drop damage) i'd pick it up. Those are nice bikes.

Check out VFRForums to fine specifics related to that year and model.

Excellent posts. Thanks, guys.

FYI, it's missing both turn signals lenses... I'm kinda mystified by that one myself, need to find out more from him about that. He says it sat all year last year (doesn't have current tags on it now) and when I saw the pic of the fuel gauge I got a little concerned that it had had a small amount of old gas sitting in the tank for a year. Not a good combination. But I'm told that fuel injection makes bad gas a little less of an issue? The old Suzuki's I had didn't like old/dirty gas at all and you could count on a carb rebuild. The old Suzi's had R/R issues, too. Had to replace both mine with CBR R/R's to get the charging system in line. I'll have to find out more about the VFR's...

Thanks again for the input! I'm really hoping this bike works out for me. Been off the road since last June and missed it every sunny day.

I don't know that id run seafoam on a nearly empty tank. Id show up with a gas can and fill it up before starting it. That will thin out the old gas enough that it won't matter. Plan on it needing a battery also. All the things it needs are barganing chips for getting it dirty cheap.

I don't know that id run seafoam on a nearly empty tank. Id show up with a gas can and fill it up before starting it. That will thin out the old gas enough that it won't matter. Plan on it needing a battery also. All the things it needs are barganing chips for getting it dirty cheap.

I was considering taking a can of gas. Sounding more like a good idea all the time. :-)

So from all the pictures I've seen on line, the wheels are supposed to be black? Might be interesting to see how they got to be silver... :eek:

If it runs good, $2500 is a fair price for it. It may have had a tip over with the mirror missing, ask about it. I wouldnt freak over the wheel refinish, but ask about it too. But with 11k miles, even with some minor fix up, should be a solid bike. The R/Rs in 5th gen viffers have a history of eating it early, ask if its been replaced.

VFRD.com is a great VFR forum

With that body style, is that the more desirable pre vtec or what ever the electronic boost was called. I say go look at it. They are great bikes.

Yep the last year before the VTEC, and chain driven cams.

If there is just cosmetic issues, I think this is a good find.

Edited by LINK

If the turnsignals got broken from drops, the tabs that hold them into position in the fairing might be broken off as well. Again, not a dealbreaker, but something to be aware of and use as a negotiating tool.

If nothing else, that would be a good excuse to get a plastic welder :).

Let us know what happens!

I don't know why people are so hung up on the VTEC being a bad thing. It really isn't that bad at all. Don't like the feeling of hitting the "go baby go" button at 6400 rpms, get a PCIII and throw on a sweet tune and it nearly disappears

If the turnsignals got broken from drops, the tabs that hold them into position in the fairing might be broken off as well. Again, not a dealbreaker, but something to be aware of and use as a negotiating tool.

If nothing else, that would be a good excuse to get a plastic welder :).

Let us know what happens!

Again, Great Info, Andy. I was wondering if there were some issue with the lenses that might make it necessary to buy a new upper fairing. Then again, me and JB Weld are like buds... :rolleyes: There's stuff I've learned to do to make things usable. Comes from buying 30 year old Suzuki's and hanging out at the Rice Paddy too much.

I didn't hear from the guy today so I have to assume that the one person that was interested before me didn't make it to see him today. It was somebody from that state up north, and I think I saw on the VFR forums that he found another bike instead. I'll call him midday tomorrow before I head his way at around 2p.m. just to be sure. Getting pretty excited about the possibilities... Trying not to count those chickens or talk myself into the sale before I give it a good going over and weed out the issues.

Thanks, Brothers!

I don't know why people are so hung up on the VTEC being a bad thing. It really isn't that bad at all. Don't like the feeling of hitting the "go baby go" button at 6400 rpms, get a PCIII and throw on a sweet tune and it nearly disappears

I think the gear driven cams to chain driven cams is the bigger hang up for most, it would be for me...same as newer HD's, people change to gear driven, more money, but money well spent...

Manufacturers save huge with the chain driven cams from my understanding, cheap bastards!

Many complaints heard on the VTEC engine, most I have read sound mostly like people afraid of change, some make sense though, sort of like the latest "ride/drive by wire" being installed on motorcycles, several people being skeptics, maybe for good reason, I don't know.

• 3 weeks later...

If you get the chance get it. Bought my 92 VFR750 about 3 years ago with 44k miles on it, now has 58,xxx miles on it still runs AMAZING. I'm planning on keeping it even if I get a second bike, just to see how many miles she really wants to go.

• 2 weeks later...
Take (& post) before and after pics. I just like seeing the process of something that has been neglected get transformed into something nice again.

I've got the before pics. She's in pieces in the garage right now. Prepping for the center stand. Then tires. Then fix the front headlight and turn signals.