Bump Start

ReconRat

Ok, I promised myself I'd replace the weak 10 year old battery really soon. But apparently not soon enough for a dork move. I left the key on for 5 minutes with the kill switch engaged, and yup, no start. Let it sit a couple of minutes, and still weak, no start. (Unplugging the headlight and tail light is a cool move, but I wasn't in the mood.) Enough juice there to pressurize the fuel pump.

Ok, get ready, get the gear on, get on bike, back up, walk uphill, downhill, enter street (still walking), turn left, turn right, and enter a really long gentle downhill parking lot I knew would be there. Still walking, but now pushing with both feet at same time. Get feet up and coast for a while, pop clutch in second gear and start engine. Turn around and go home.

I'm getting too old for this...

I used to run along side holding the clutch in, and jump on side saddle and pop the clutch. Wasn't feeling the balance act for that move today. Shoot, we used to kill batteries so hard the kick starter wouldn't work. Pushing always works if there's anything left of the battery at all.

Pushing always works if there's anything left of the battery at all.

not on the XX, couple years ago I even had enough juice to crank the starter but wasn't enough juice to build fuel pressure required, so no vroom.

I've done this dance with my bike once when I first got it I was out at a mall and luckily there was a hill so pushed it up to get about three starts with the distance I had walked up to the top. Firt time bump starting a bike hopefully won't have to do it again.

When I bought my '83 Nighthawk, I didn't know enough about it to buy a battery (I now know any motorcycle battery will work lol) so I bump started it for a couple weeks straight. I didn't realize I could at first so I was jumping the battery from a car.

Sounds like some fuel pumps won't spin up on some bikes. Guess I'm lucky mine does.

But pushing/bumping always works on an old kick start points firing gravity fed fuel motor sickle.

edit: Come to think of it, I've even pulled them with cars to get them started.

Really really really not recommended. You can put the bike on it's side in a heartbeat.

Edited by ReconRat

Let me tell you a little bump start story, there was a guy here that had an older Suzuki Intruder that the starter was bad so he would bump start it each time he wanted to ride.

So he wouldn't look bad to the babes, when he would leave a bar he would lean on his bike and have a smoke till nobody was looking then take off running and bump start it. One night some of the guys he hung out with took the plug wires off his bike, he'd take off running and jump on it and it would just sputter to a stop.

Everyone was hiding behind their cars watching him run with that bike down the street and I kid you not, he pushed that bike for over a quarter mile. We laughed our asses off as he run about 20 yards and jump, then he'd huff and puff and hit his cig then take off again.

OK, one more, there was a guy where I used to work that had a Harley. His shifter was a pair of vise grips with a bolt welded to them for a tab to shift with and his front brake lever was also a set of vise grips, two of us would help him bump start that thing about everyday for two weeks until he could get a battery on payday.

only had to do it once and it was last April on the way home from the Dyno Day. Knowing me, Pauly just said let me do it so you don't hurt yourself. Its great to be friends with someone so mechanically inclined :D

oww... the muscles on the inside of my thighs are goosed today.

I guess all that waddle walking the bike rubbed me the wrong way.

Oh well, charging a new YUASA AGM from IP.

I figure if the old one was good for ten years, get another one.

Yeah, I rode the bike in the wet to get that.

Daring fate to whack me with a "no start".

Saw a lot of accidents in the North East part of town.

Saw one car that had hit another in the back end,

but no other car was around. Weird, guess that one ran away?

Or maybe hit something that didn't get damaged, and they left...

Edited by ReconRat

Ok, so I charge and swap the new battery in before it got completely dark. Then charge the old battery for kicks. But it looks like the battery terminals are reversed. What de heck? How would it run like that? I got three batteries, and that old one I took out of the bike says positive and negative reversed? But, but, that's not how I hooked it up, what gives? I'm starting to freak out. I get on the Yuasa website. Download the specs, and it says the terminals are backwards! .............

And then I notice that old battery is on the charger and it's on it's side..... oops....

edit: which means the terminals appeared backwards when viewed from that side.

On it's side won't hurt an AGM. It can't leak.

Nothing to see here, move along....

Edited by ReconRat

Ok, so I charge and swap the new battery in before it got completely dark. Then charge the old battery for kicks. But it looks like the battery terminals are reversed. What de heck? How would it run like that? I got three batteries, and that old one I took out of the bike says positive and negative reversed? But, but, that's not how I hooked it up, what gives? I'm starting to freak out. I get on the Yuasa website. Download the specs, and it says the terminals are backwards! .............

And then I notice that old battery is on the charger and it's on it's side..... oops....

Nothing to see here, move along....

Don't feel bad, I once tried to jumpstart a battery with the cables on the wrong terminals... it surged so bad it fried the starter and the battery...

Don't feel bad, I once tried to jumpstart a battery with the cables on the wrong terminals... it surged so bad it fried the starter and the battery...

Once saw a guy install a car battery that was the wrong one, it had the terminals opposite of his original. The alternator was reversing the charge on the battery, and it would die and need a jump. (Bet it got more than a little hot also.) I could not convince him he was doing it wrong. You'd think that hooking positive to your block ground would be enough of a clue, but nooooo....