Planning a 1900 mi trip to Ft Benning and back

fazer1sniper

If you have the time, might as well head through Deal's Gap area and then northern Georgia on the way south.

I'd ride highways to the Lexington, KY area and then head south parallel to I-75, but to the east of it. 52 east out of Richmond is good and then head south on Route 11. Smooth road with loads of sweepers in it. Always fun. 11 South to 25E and take that south to Morristown, TN.

Then west on I-40 for a short bit to 441 south. Follow that to Cherokee. Takes you through Gatlinburg - which can suck big time if there's traffic. But ya gotta get south of it somehow. Goes right through Smoky Mtn Nat'l Park.

Then hit Route 64 to Hiawasee, GA. Right at the beginning of the best roads of the north Georgia mountains. South on 76 to Route 180 - head west. Looks like a goat path in a couple of spots, but leads you over to Route 129 - take that south over Blood Mountain. Windy assed road with two lanes on the uphill side and one going down. One of my favorite roads in the USA.

Given the time, do The Loop - 129 South to 19 West to 60 North to Suches and then 180 east back over to 129. Only takes about an hour, but it's fantastic.

After this, just head towards Atlanta and then on to Columbus via Highways. It gets a bit flat after Atlanta. No good way to avoid the city without adding a shit ton of miles either.

If ya do it over a weekend, let me know as I'd be happy to go along to at least northern Georgia. And then maybe we could meet up on your way back.

Enjoy!

Also, if you are trying to ride on base, you need to be completely geared up, they stopped me at the gate and made me wait for a commander to show up because my footwear didn't completely cover my ankles (they let me proceed after he showed up, but it was a hassle)

If you have the time, might as well head through Deal's Gap area and then northern Georgia on the way south.

I'd ride highways to the Lexington, KY area and then head south parallel to I-75, but to the east of it. 52 east out of Richmond is good and then head south on Route 11. Smooth road with loads of sweepers in it. Always fun. 11 South to 25E and take that south to Morristown, TN.

Then west on I-40 for a short bit to 441 south. Follow that to Cherokee. Takes you through Gatlinburg - which can suck big time if there's traffic. But ya gotta get south of it somehow. Goes right through Smoky Mtn Nat'l Park.

Then hit Route 64 to Hiawasee, GA. Right at the beginning of the best roads of the north Georgia mountains. South on 76 to Route 180 - head west. Looks like a goat path in a couple of spots, but leads you over to Route 129 - take that south over Blood Mountain. Windy assed road with two lanes on the uphill side and one going down. One of my favorite roads in the USA.

Given the time, do The Loop - 129 South to 19 West to 60 North to Suches and then 180 east back over to 129. Only takes about an hour, but it's fantastic.

After this, just head towards Atlanta and then on to Columbus via Highways. It gets a bit flat after Atlanta. No good way to avoid the city without adding a shit ton of miles either.

Enjoy!

This^^^You will not be disappointed...

Have a safe trip!

Also, if you are trying to ride on base, you need to be completely geared up, they stopped me at the gate and made me wait for a commander to show up because my footwear didn't completely cover my ankles (they let me proceed after he showed up, but it was a hassle)

Yup - and have your up to date insurance card as well. Hi viz vest or jacket would help too.

Edited by Earache
spelling correction

The trip on the way back I may mod my route for some fun stuff. I'm heading out a thursday am, she grads friday and I don't have to return to work till sunday. I'm aware of on post bike rules and that shouldnt be a problem. Other than having to get with Columbus GA PD or a local gun shop to secure my firearm while I attend her grad.

My son just graduated at Ft Benning (101st Air Assault Infantry) last September. There are a slew of gun shops around the base (as I'm sure is common for all bases). I have a recommendation on a nice restaurant in that area if you are interested...I'll have to ask the wife the name of it.

As a former Infantry guy, I've been to Benning ALOT! This is the first time on 2 wheels. Last trip was '03 I think. I may have to hit the post register and see who I know down there.

I'm off tomorrow and hoping for alot of progress on the the bike as far as electrical, fluids and the cargo load plan.

So after some free time to get this bike a bit more travel friendly here what got done on my days off.

12v power plug under the left side of the fairing

DSCN1736.jpg

DSCN1748.jpg

Cargo Rack / trunk mount fab.

DSCN1751.jpg

DSCN1750.jpg

DSCN1745.jpg

DSCN1746.jpg

Mocked it all up.

DSCN1743.jpg

DSCN1739.jpg

Tore it back down for paint.

DSCN1753.jpg

Got my fresh KN oil filter and Mobil 1 syn for the oil change, soaked the chain in lube, I hope I'm not forgeting anything....

I was stationed there for Basic and Jump as well. (Now at Ft. Campbell)

Hotels are scattered around almost all the exits (I-185 leads into the public gate, lots of exits off it).

Lots to do at the mall east of the intersection of I-185 and 80 (Wittlesey Blvd).

You are required to meet PPE standards because you are a Family Member (MCoE 210-5, 5-10, a.)

PPE:

DOT Helmet

Eye Protection (Windscreen does not count, glasses are required)

Full Fingered Gloves

Long Pants

Long Sleeved Upper Garment

"Sturdy" Over the Ankle Footwear

Regulations do not require a reflective vest/belt, but having one in case would be a potential stress reliever.

You will also have to provide a Driver's License with Endorsement.

You are not required to carry your MSF card. (MCoE 210-5, 5-10, f.)

Standard DoD rules apply. (No cell phone while driving, Obey the speed limit to the letter, etc.)

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

I'm an ATGATT guy anyway and got 14 years service, 5 in the Infantry, 7 in USASOC and 2 teaching so I know Benning pretty well (Basic, AIT, Jump, Ranger, Sniper) but it's been about 12 years. I need to find out what gate is going to be open to visting families... like I said, been a while.

Easiest way to go (Providing nothing has changed since 2009):

Unknown route prior

1. I-185 South for ~50 miles (This will take you through Columbus, GA)

2. After passing the exit for Victory Drive, I-185 turns into Lindsey Creek Parkway, which takes you to the main gate.

3. Right before the main gate there is a small building on the left in the median area. This is the Visitor's Center. Stop there and get a pass. Make sure you have an address with building number in case the guard is feeling moody and won't take Jump School as a vaild destination. (Bldg 2748 Riordan, Ft. Benning, GA, 31905 - Should work) (Once you have the pass you should be able to use any gate)

4. Pass through the gate

5. Right on Custer Rd. (Directly after gate, if you go under the interpass you went too far)

6. Left on Fort Benning Rd. (~1.4 miles)

7. Right on 10th Division Rd. (~.5 miles)

8. Left on Anderson St. (~1.3 miles) (There will be a water tower on the right. If you pass it you went to far.)

9. Left on Marchant St. (~.4 miles) (Anywhere around there should be available parking)

10. Right on Riordan St. (Directly after the Barracks building)

11. Left on Burr St. (There may be parking in the lots around there)

12. The ceremony should be off Burr St., South of the East tower. (32.354536,-84.969273)

Hope that helps, and hope they haven't changed too much since I was there.

Edited by BDBGoalie

Hopefully the ride goes smoothly and safely. If you're around my area (Ft. Campbell - Clarksville, TN) on your way back you're welcome to stop by. Just PM me first so contact info can be exchanged.

I will be out of town 20-22 Apr 2012.

• 5 weeks later...