Saddle bags - suggestion?

NinjaDoc

Looking for decent saddle bags, the hard bags for vfr is $$$ :( hence just going for saddle bags since the most it will be used is like 8-9 times every year. Any body have any suggestions from experience? Bad recommended cortech, but he is yet to use it a lot i guess. Any other economical brands out there?

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/91/

^ all fit VFR or should if the link works

JC Whitney makes cheap cases too that I think are cheaper.

Check Givi luggage too...theres a few other but I cant think of them right now

I would invest in the hard luggage for lockability and waterproof. You can get a much cheaper set up than Honda OEM gear.

Edited by Mykill

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/91/

^ all fit VFR or should if the link works

JC Whitney makes cheap cases too that I think are cheaper.

Check Givi luggage too...theres a few other but I cant think of them right now

I would invest in the hard luggage for lockability and waterproof. You can get a much cheaper set up than Honda OEM gear.

after few months i might go in hard bag direction

I don't really know the difference between good bags and bad ones, but my experience with the Tourmasters (cortech) in my avitar has been positive. They don't fall off and zip when I want them to.

Cortech sport saddlebags that I picked up used on ebay they work nice and are holding up good. I have an older set that is not expandable so not as much room in mine makes me wish I would've bought new. I have made two trips to Sturgis with them and have never had an issue and I cram the damn things as full as I possibly can I was worried the zippers would burst open but they hold tight.

Edited by conn-e-rot

For low cost, try to find an older model of a Nelson Rigg or Cortech. An older style set that is on sale will save a fair amount of money. Later on you'll want to move up to something else more expensive. But those will work for now.

Be careful about paint getting rubbed by the bags. It will wear it off in spots if it isn't protected with something.

edit: oh, and a nice tank bag can be useful also. I see the twistedthrottle link, and I'm a big fan of the unique stuff they have. But some of the gear can be found cheaper somewhere else. It's just that some stuff can be found only there.

Edited by ReconRat

The MTS has hard luggage' date=' and I don't think I would ever go back to soft bags. However, for years I used NelsonRigg tank, tail and side bags. Easy to use, light, durable.. so long as you don't get caught in a downpour. They usually come with "rain covers", but water will find its way to the inside if it's really raining buckets.

You'll need to ride your bike to IronPony and ask to 'dry fit' them to your bike. Sometimes the side bags are large enough to bury the passenger foot rests. That's a problem I had with the Givi soft bags on the FZ6. I couldn't ride Isaac with them installed.[/quote']

oh yea have to keep that in mind, the whole point in getting saddle bag is for storage when we 2 up. might be going for some thing mid size, not too big nor small. Like max 2 day stuff thats all.

my buddy ran the coretech bags on his VFR, and the right side bag ended up getting a hole burnt in them.

DOC i may have a hard bag option for you, i have to double check some things, but give me a call sometime and we can discuss

my buddy ran the coretech bags on his VFR, and the right side bag ended up getting a hole burnt in them.

DOC i may have a hard bag option for you, i have to double check some things, but give me a call sometime and we can discuss

sure will call, but i might hold off till few weeks until i know where i am going with the budget, as of now i am thinking a heli bar would be more helpful for me than luggage which i can use soft ones,

these mods are so damn expensive :(

I worried about the heat also. Apparently it's common with high pipes. And some low pipes, what the heck. But my can shields run cool unless I'm really thrashing it.

There are shields and tapes made to add to soft bags that don't have that built in, but then the cost just goes up to where you would have rather gone with hard bags anyway.

I wish I could show a sw motech quick release setup with pelican cases, but I didn't get around to assembly of it yet. Guess that's on the short list now. And no, it wasn't cheap after all the necessary parts and pieces.

You might consider the Ventura pack system.

http://www.ventura-mca.com/

I have used mine for years and it works great. Mounts on the bike in 5 minutes and the pack stays put. If you get a new bike just buy the rack and reuse the existing pack.

That also. Still not cheap, but really nice. I have that on the other bike. Just having the sport rack with small sport bag is cool. I use that a lot.