How to deal with hard water

SnowCrash7

Ok so we know that the water here is very hard and leaves all kinds of spots that have to be dealt with on a washed bike. So what's the best way to deal with this? Can anyone recommend a water softener that works with a garden hose or is there a better way to go?

Thanks

If you're washing the bike I've never used water just Bike spirits in a can works for all bikes and its never let me down. If that helps

This[^^^^^^ the only hard water I know of is called ice.

The whole house system is not an option. I had one installed when I was in Texas and the water, which is literally shipped to your community from way out of town is basically mud and the outlay would not make sense as I plan on putting the house on the market in a few months.

I need something that works on a hose.

I guess I dont really have an issue as long as you dry your bike immediately. I live in kettering and its amazingly hard.

This^

Wash bike, park in shade if possible and immediately dry with a clean towel. No spots. If you do end up with a few, hit them with some spray detailer or just go ride, bike's gonna get messy again anyway :)

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product.asp?ImageName=ORIGINAL-SPRAY-POLISH.jpg&Brand=ORIGINAL%20BIKE%20SPIRITS&Class2=Chemicals&Class3=Cleaners,%20Waxes,%20Polishes&Class1=ATV%20PRODUCTS

This is what I've always used works great on chrome. Spray on let it sit a few seconds (not dry) wipe off. Simple. I've never used water since I found this. Water gets into those hard to reach places and can screw things like electrical connections up.

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product.asp?ImageName=ORIGINAL-SPRAY-POLISH.jpg&Brand=ORIGINAL%20BIKE%20SPIRITS&Class2=Chemicals&Class3=Cleaners,%20Waxes,%20Polishes&Class1=ATV%20PRODUCTS

This is what I've always used works great on chrome. Spray on let it sit a few seconds (not dry) wipe off. Simple. I've never used water since I found this. Water gets into those hard to reach places and can screw things like electrical connections up.

Don't you ever ride in the rain?

Don't you ever ride in the rain?

Yes but I don't unless I get stuck in it. The water doesn't always get in there but I've known people who have had problems with water messing up electrical systems.

Just a fyi. "Hard Water" is Calcium and Magnesium in water. It accumulates in tight spots like coffee machines, irons etc and on air tried surfaces.

When it comes to washing your bike/car the calk is the last thing I worry about. More important is when, what you use and how you clean and dry the bike, like a brush, sponge and leather.

I washed hundreds of cars and bikes in my car mechanic apprenticeship in Germany in the 90's. The most important I learned:

Never ever clean/dry your car/bike or window in direct sun light, ever!

The paint/widow etc must be cool to the touch, always!

Cover the ignition system with a plastic bag before you begin.

Use lots and lots of water while the sponge is in contact with the paint/chrome.

Don't ever push to hard on the paint/chrome and rinse the sponge constantly.

Compressed air is very handy to dry your bike and all electrical connectors.

Leather works too but make sure its wet completely and the dirt is completely removed from the bike.

Oh and keep great distance between the power washer nozzle and your bike. Electrical connectors can handle water (Rain for example) but if you get to close you literally push water by the rubber gaskets. I personally stay away from power washers when I clean my bike.

Don't use to much force pushing the sponge leather etc onto the bike.

Pre soak heavy, dry dirt.

IMO: Wax is a waste of money.

I only Polish a vehicle once, when I sell it.