How Do You Know If a Used Helmet is Safe?

JohnG

So, OK, I got a hellacious deal on some used gear but comments I've received have me wondering about the helmet... It's a Shoei RF1000 and seems to have been used very little. No real wear on the inside, everything looks clean. However, there's one spot on the crown of the helmet that got a scuff about the size of a quarter... PO said that he clipped a tree limb with it? Only has one scratch that's thru the finish and it's about 3/8 inch long and maybe as wide as a pencil lead.

I don't really think it's anything to worry about myself... Opinions?

Yeah, unless you know and trust the seller, I would never buy a used helmet.

I have a Bell vortex sitting in my garage that looks pristine. I was wearing it when I tumbled through the grass at 90mph. The only damage was to the visor, which I could replace for $30 and then sell it as "like new! Only worn 4 or 5 times!" (which is true. I barely sweat in that helmet before crashing it)

i feel like even if a helmet is crashed in, it is still safe to use if the damage is only to the visor. so basically, if there is no huge scuffs or damage to the shell of the helmet, i would not hesitate to buy it

i feel like even if a helmet is crashed in, it is still safe to use if the damage is only to the visor. so basically, if there is no huge scuffs or damage to the shell of the helmet, i would not hesitate to buy it

That is the worse advice you can give. You do realize the EPS inside the helmet absorbs the impact during a wreck and is damaged after the wreck. So even if the exterior of the helmet looks fine you can have critical damage to the portion of the helmet that actually matters.

How much does Shoei charge to inspect helmets?

Nothing. All you have to do is ship it to them. It cost me about $20 via USPS last time I sent one. They even pay to ship it back and will include a report about the helmet. But they will only do inspections on their own brand. They will not inspect other brands.

Only way to truly know is to send it out to Shoei and have them inspect it.

Dont know how they opererate but i'd venture to say they are going to tell you it needs replace most of the time. mostly looking for another sale:dunno:

So, OK, I got a hellacious deal on some used gear but comments I've received have me wondering about the helmet... It's a Shoei RF1000 and seems to have been used very little. No real wear on the inside, everything looks clean. However, there's one spot on the crown of the helmet that got a scuff about the size of a quarter... PO said that he clipped a tree limb with it? Only has one scratch that's thru the finish and it's about 3/8 inch long and maybe as wide as a pencil lead.

I don't really think it's anything to worry about myself... Opinions?

Run into a brick wall (on your feet...don't mess up the bike) and check for stars?:wtf::wtf::wtf::rolleyes:

Is it worth the chance of the helmet not completely doing its job? Nope. Don't take that chance, replace it. I've got a helmet that my ex dropped in my garage on the concreate floor from about three feet, and i won't wear it. And it was only worn twice before that happened.

Nothing. All you have to do is ship it to them. It cost me about $20 via USPS last time I sent one. They even pay to ship it back and will include a report about the helmet. But they will only do inspections on their own brand. They will not inspect other brands.
That is awesome. I was unaware they did that.

From Shoei's site:

Shoei offers a free impact inspection service for any Shoei helmet.* To have your helmet inspected, please send it to;

Shoei Helmets

3002 Dow Ave

Suite 128

Tustin, CA 92780

Attn: Inspections

Be sure to include a letter with a brief description of the issue with the helmet, as well as a daytime phone number and return address. Once we receive the helmet it will take 1-3 business days to complete the inspection. Upon completion the helmet is returned to you with a letter stating the findings of our inspection. Your helmet is returned to you if it passes the inspection or not. There is no charge for the inspection, and the UPS Ground return shipping is free. To see a video on how to pack your helmet for shipping, click here.

*For USA and Canada residents only.

Is it worth the chance of the helmet not completely doing its job? Nope. Don't take that chance, replace it. I've got a helmet that my ex dropped in my garage on the concreate floor from about three feet, and i won't wear it. And it was only worn twice before that happened.

Everything I have read says that the helmet itself doesn't accelerate enough in a fall from seat-height to damage it, but I agree it's better to be safe than sorry.

I slid, hit the grass, and the rolled during my last crash. I don't know how hard or even IF the lid took a significant blow, but based on the fact that I was (in hindsight) acting a bit loopy afterward, I believe I got my bell rung at least a little.

Helmets are way cheaper than brain damage. Turning my last one into a "trophy" was an easy decision.

Plus many vendors have killer close out deals on good helmets. No reason not o replace one that's questionable.

Everything I have read says that the helmet itself doesn't accelerate enough in a fall from seat-height to damage it, but I agree it's better to be safe than sorry.

it doesnt have the weight of your head inside of it, as such, the foam doesnt compress.

pretty sure the Arai guy mentions it in this video

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras/accessories/arai-helmets/index.shtml

Dont know how they opererate but i'd venture to say they are going to tell you it needs replace most of the time. mostly looking for another sale:dunno:

Last RF 1000 I sent them, they shipped it back with the test report and said it was fine. It's been a few years though.

if you buy used, you're at the mercy of the seller and his honesty. the same goes for anything used (or even new, if it's something that is often ripped off from china... ie, there was a pretty big hub bub over replica a-stars gloves a while back)

i try to buy from whom i believe are trustworthy. if you get a smokin deal and are not sure and are willing to take a risk... buy it, cough up the bucks to get tested. if it fails, then write it off using line item "caveat emptor". if it passed ok, then you got a good deal minus $20 which is cheaper than a possible concussion or worse.

Personally I'd never take a used helmet. My head and brains are worth much more than saving a few bucks (despite what my wife says...)

Also, I'd rather avoid other people's stinky sweat. If that doesn't bother you, I've got a jock strap I'll sell to you for $0.50. It's clean and only worn one time.

...it's a size XXL as well.

Helmet liners can be removed and washed. I rinse mine after every weekend at the track. Sometimes even in the sink AT the track on Saturday night.

Removing sweat really extends the life of the foam too.

Helmet liners can be removed and washed. I rinse mine after every weekend at the track. Sometimes even in the sink AT the track on Saturday night.

Posts can be double posted. :D

Posts can be double posted. :D

• Upvote 1

Wow. Lots of good opinion! Thanks. Since the helmet new is anywhere from 3 to 400 dollars, I think I'll spend the 20 bucks to send it to Shoei for the inspection. I know my brains and quality of life are worth more than a few hundred, but if I can save the money, I will.