Taser C2

Scruit

Seriously thinking about adding a Taser C2 to my EDC...

- The C2 can go places my EDC can't (when I have to go into the building to pick my son up from his school every day, for example). "Conceal it well" will not make me feel good about committing a felony - risk is too high.

- The fallout from tazing someone is much less than killing them. Even good shoots leave the shooter to suffer. Legals bills, threat of jail time, death threats from "bruh-bruh's" friends, living with the knowledge you took a life or permanently injured someone.

- EDC would still be there as a backup, or a go-to tool if the C2 isn't going to help.

- Currently I can't carry my EDC every day because I go from CPZ to CPZ all day long. CPZs don't stop the C2.

- The C2 works like a police taser only the range is reduced to 15' and the cycle time is 30 seconds, not 5 seconds. Designed to let you flee while the bad guy is doing the floppy dance inthe floor.

Thoughts?

No training required. Legal in ohio. Smaller than a pistol but, if you hit, much more effective. Instant incapacitation for 30 seconds so you can run away or immobilize tha bad guy. Running away requires you leave the taser behind, but taser will give you a new one if that happens.

Registered? Why carry a tazer when you can carry a gun. :dunno:

It is shipped in a deactivated state. You have to register the it with taser international. They do a background check (felonies only, only took 2 minutes). The cartridges shoot out confetti with micro-printed serial numbers on them and they can tie it back to you so if someone ever robs someone with a taser they can go back to the registered owner. Once registered they give you a 5-digit code that you have to enter into the taser using a combination of trigger presses. Once activated the green led lights up, the flashlight and laser aim turn on and you're ready to go.

As for carrying a gun... I have a CHL and I do carry a gun where I can. There are too many places off-limits (felony-level off-limits) to guns carried by law-abiding folks so the taser is a happy medium.

(G) Stun gun restrictions

(1) Stun guns shall not be stored, dispensed, carried or discharged in any building or on the grounds of any facility under the operatingcontrol of theOhio department of mentalhealth, except when a visitingpoliceagencyneeds to lock its stun gun(s) in a safearea.

(2) No person, including policeofficers and other hospital employees,shall possess, store, dispense, carry or dischargea personally-owned stungun on the grounds of a facility under theoperating control of the Ohio department of mental health.

(3) Ohio state highway patrol officers, local law enforcementauthorities,or other persons duly authorized to carry stunguns may not carry such weapons into patient contact areas of the facility unless a special request has been made by the chief executive officerin theeventof a life-threatening emergency situation which could require the use of deadly force.

(4) Special requests granted by the chief executive officer, which areexceptions to the rule stated in paragraph (G)(1) of this rule shall be reported immediately to the director of the Ohio department of mental health, or designee, and a written report of such incident shall be madeto the director within twenty-four hours explaining the need for such actions.

(5) Any person who violates this policy shall have committed an actionwhich may be cause for removal.

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/5122-7-04

so, basically anywhere but hospitals? i guess this could be useful for people who work in schools and have to walk to their cars at night time *college professors, etc*

I'm sure they aren't allowed in court buildings either. I bet if you are a school staff member its in the rule book that you couldn't have one either. Most schools have s strict zero tollerence rule for weapons.

The test fire was interesting. I did a spark test first (no cartridge, just bare electrodes) That spark is something else - jumps over about a 2-3" air gap. The cycle is 30 seconds and cannot be stopped unless you pull the battery out. The spark is loud.

I set up the metal-backed paper target on the wall and installed the dummy cartridge. It is blue in color and is the same as a regular cartridge except for having fishing line instead of metal wires. I aimed using the laser pointer from 10' and the top dart hit right there - the bottom dart was about 15-16" lower than that. With the dummy cartridge the spark still jumps the gap between the drive-stun electrodes instead of going through the wires, so it's still loud.

In actual use, I am warned, the loud sparking noise won't be present as the power is going down the wires. Loud sparking in real use means the dart tips are insulated (clothing too thick, one dart missed, etc) so on to plan B.

The cartridge cannot be removed during the firing cycle otherwise you'll get shocked instead. Multiple discharges are possible if you want to keep a person down until help arrives, versus escaping. 30 seconds is quite a long time, but in order to make use of this time you must leave the taser behind. But then you are leaving an activated taser behind. It's the cartridges, not the body, that dispenses the tracking confetti, so a stolen taser won't be tracked back to you unless the police get hold of it.

The taser is 6" long and weight about as much as a stapler. It points very naturally and the aim was dead on the red dot.

Taser lists the Platinum kit (body, battery, 4 live cartridges, 1 dummy and a holster) for about $450. The basic model as no holster and only 1 cartridge for $350. New cartridges are about $35 each, but I'm not sure how you go about registering them.

I shopped around and got the Platinum C2 for $370 shipped, so I'm happy with that.

Overall, it will never replace my gun, but it's a great fill-in for places where it would be a felony to take my gun. It also could be carried in addition tot he gun to give an extra level of force option for situations where you are attacked with less than deadly-force.

I'm sure they aren't allowed in court buildings either. I bet if you are a school staff member its in the rule book that you couldn't have one either. Most schools have s strict zero tollerence rule for weapons.

gotcha...thats what i was wondering, if it was considered a "weapon"...if so, i guess i dont see a point having one if you cant take it anywhere you cant take a gun

is a taser not considered a firearm/weapon? like, can you carry in school and gov buildings etc?

A taser is not a deadly weapon under Ohio law. A handful of states (including Michigan - but they are working on that ) ban civilian carry of tasers.

The only places that are off-limits to me are Mental Health Facilities, and the place I work (strict no-weapons policy). Beyond that, all the places that are off-limits for my ccw are back on the table.

Overall, it will never replace my gun, but it's a great fill-in for places where it would be a felony to take my gun. It also could be carried in addition tot he gun to give an extra level of force option for situations where you are attacked with less than deadly-force.

just move to BFE and when you get attacked, just throw some elbows

• Upvote 1

just move to BFE and when you get attacked, just throw some elbows

:lol:

Employers can make up their own rules for their employees. We have a strict no weapons policy, but its total BS as dock guys use box knives at times. Most all of us carry pocket knives? What is a weapon? Am ink pen is techienically a weapon a lethal one in the right hands. How about the fire extinguisher I'm required to have ? Flashlight? The hammer I use as a tire thumper? (21 oz eastwing claw hammer :) )