AMA: Who's a member and is it worth it?

namtugeoj

I joined a few years ago after AAA left me hanging. Much cheaper than AAA and the roadside assistance does pretty much all of the same-for all your vehicles.

I also travel a bit, and the 15% discount on motels more than pays for the membership. That, and my MC insurance gives a discount for rider associations.

Member since the week I bought my bike. Being a member would have helped the Guy that broke down on our ride last weekend. I Aldo now realize why Harley gets ragged on, panhead broke down twice on the ride the 2nd time required a trailer.

Edited by crb

Why would you need them with a reliable bike like a Sportster.:p

I actually signed up because its a group that lobbys for the rights of motorcyclist. The towing is an added bonus. Besides I can only carry so much oil I'm my saddlebags. I'm also a NRA and Ooida member.

I am a 9 year member now. I believe you have to sign up for years for the free road side unless things have changed. Plus I never pay to visit the museum. Discounts at bike bandit and other places also save $$$. The magazine has something interesting every once in a great while. Plus it is required to race and support on and off road riding. Win-win.:D

The bad, it is pulled in so many directions often nothing seems to get done. :(

I know some on here have a beef with the AMA...That being said, I think $49/year for roadside assistance for ANY vehicle you're driving/riding or are a passenger in/on is worth it.

There are also a lot of legislative-type issues that relate to motorcycles that the AMA lobbies for - access to areas to ride, fight against motorcycle-only checkpoints, etc.

I'm a member and think it's worthwhile. I look at it like I do the NRA. It's an advocacy group with some pull to fight for us. The magazine is broader than my tastes go, but it's well-written.

...The magazine is broader than my tastes go, but it's well-written.

I take it into the bathroom and can make it through it in less than a pot-of-coffee-inspired dump. :wtf::)

It is well written as Brian says, just not much in it that interests me...

• Upvote 1

I've been a member for two years, figure I'll maintain my membership indefinitely. I enjoy the magazine, and the roadside assistance is comforting. Incidentally, that roadside coverage applies to your family (same household) members too, whether you're in the car with them or not...

I was a member for several years, but stopped due the political nature of the orginization.

I'm curious about what you mean. They are political by design. They are lobbyists. I've honestly never picked up on a right/left tendency.

Some of the AMA political battles goes against the interest of some riders. Like sound checks for off road riders. Some like their bikes loud and don't see the need to limit the noise at events. So for some it becomes a matter of not feeling properly represented. I used to dislike the support the AMA gave the HArley stigma of no gear, bad ass drunk pirate being the coolest rider. Since then I've seen the issue die (literally) as rider saftey became their greater concern. I've also liked the added support and representation that Dual Sport riding has received so it isn't just lumped in with the moto x rider crowd.

I've had to use the road side assistance once for my car. Made the membership very worth while.

• Upvote 1

$49 a year? I have been a member for 11 years now. It cost me $39 a year, if you sign up for auto renewal the Moto tow is free. It covers all the vehicles in your household. The 1 st 35 miles are free after that you have to pay, can't remember how much.