Project Cheapskate...

magley64

Picked up a wrecked 82 Honda CM450E for backpack to learn on. :D

met the man at the DMV, got the title swapped over and paid the man a pittance for his "motorcycle"

Borrowed moms car (only vehicle we have right now with a hitch) helped the man squeeze it backward through a door it barely fir through forward, and put all the pieces together well enough that they wouldn't fly off in transit... and brought her home in the lil wagon.

2012-04-06_14-49-58_473.jpg

Bent handlebars, bent forks, sitting on a dog porch for over a year, partially disassembled, broken headlight bucket, broken brake pedal, broken turn signal... Clear title;)

Put it n the garage, started tear down.

2012-04-14_17-44-02_460.jpg

Replaced handlebars, front fender, halfway straightened the forks, got the engine running pretty smooth...

2012-04-14_17-43-46_64.jpg

2012-04-14_17-44-30_492.jpg

More updates to come....

Still getting a new paint job, perhaps a hard tail conversion, big ugly crash bar, and the float bowls/needle valves need cleaned (drips gas pretty bad at idle.)

Pics mostly reassembled... turns out the front fender I put on wasn't quite tall enough to bold up without rubbing, I'l have to fab up a bracket to mount it a little higher... also have some wiring bugs to chase.

2012-04-15_21-38-05_922.jpg

2012-04-15_21-36-55_234.jpg

2012-04-15_21-36-38_279.jpg

Edited by magley64

actually kinda impressed with project cheapskate today...

rode it out to visit my g/f, thinking maybe she'd want to do a little practicing (not the case today)

So we chat for a while, and then i head down to DQ for some ice cream. Speedo cable breaks on the way.:cool: (who needs a speedometer anyway?)

A sportster is there, and there is a temp tag on the back. I asked the guy "been riding long?"

he starts on this story about how he used to have a crotch rocket 600, and how his sportster was so much faster than his old rice bike, it is 300CC bigger after all :rolleyes:.

So i smell the manure he's shoveling, and I can't help myself.

I start egging him on a little,

"well this is just a little 450 twin, but i bet it's got enough to leave your sportster in the mirrors :D"

he bites, "oh yeah?"

"Yeah, and I just paid an enormous amount for it, too... $300"

"Man, I paid more than that for that custom skull air filter"

so after some more bantering he insists that we race ;)

long story short, he was shifting earlier than I was, and the little twin indeed left him in the mirrors, but i have no idea how fast we were actually going.

I also couldn't help giggling like a school girl the whole time :lol:

The wings flapping story is from before your time here...

Idk the story behind it, but he mentions flapping his wings like a xxx or flapping his wings will racing an xxx all the time :lol: the first time I saw him post about flapping like a penguin it reminded me of a joke.i.heard of a fapping..penguin :) I had to take a double look to make sure he didnt type fapping :lol:

He was just talking out of his posterior in all likelyhood, and never owned any other bikes...

I highly doubt a 40-50 hp sportster could ever even feel remotely as fast, and definitely not faster than a 100ish horsepower 600 cc sport bike

Exarch, search for all posts by ringo, you'll find some of the references, lol

Edited by magley64

Idk the story behind it, but he mentions flapping his wings like a xxx or flapping his wings will racing an xxx all the time :lol: the first time I saw him post about flapping like a penguin it reminded me of a joke.i.heard of a fapping..penguin :) I had to take a double look to make sure he didnt type fapping :lol:

Its just xx, not xxx. As in cbr1100xx, his motorcycle

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

updated pics

2012-06-06_17-42-30_482.jpg

2012-06-06_17-42-18_178.jpg

2012-06-06_17-42-42_815.jpg

2012-06-06_17-42-58_687.jpg

Custom Made Crash Bar Mount...

2012-06-06_17-43-22_57.jpg

Welded up the brake pedal myself, the previous owner broke it pretty close to the pivot point, and cob jobbed it back together with a couple pieces of metal, a couple of hose clamps and a large spring.

2012-06-06_17-43-37_993.jpg

the thing runs even better than it looks, Pull the choke, hit the button and she purrs.

Edited by magley64