well i screwed up today

cOoTeR

I installed a new set of sprockets and chain on the rc today. But as I was reinstalling the drive sprocket cover and clutch slave cylinder it wouldn't seat all the way. I determined it was because the rod that connects to the slave cylinder and goes into the clutch wasn't all the way in. I thought I'd just get it lined up and press it in by slowly tightening the bolts. I started to get it to work then I heard a slight pop noise and noticed the 2 main bolts that hold the slave cylinder were loose again. I wasn't able to get them to tighten down again. I pulled everything off again and put it back on this time it all went on and fit perfect. That is until I started tightening the bolts down and the 2 that mount the slave cylinder to the motor wouldn't grab at all. I pulled them out and inspected the holes to find out I stripped them out ( the holes).

Has anyone had this happen before. What are my options as far as fixing it? Do you think a machine shop or mechanic would be the best option to get it repaired? Any ideas on how to fix it.

If you plan on doing the repair yourself (its not too difficult) you will need to know the dimensions & thread pitch of the bolt. Then go to local auto parts store and find the right sized heli coil kit. The heli coil is a helical insert that basically looks like a small spring whereas the timesert mentioned above is a solid one piece threaded insert. Heli coil kit = $50 vs timesert kit = $215.

How it works:

[ame]

[/ame]

Not the best video, but only one I could find. Same principal anyways...

Hope this helps!

So I got one hole helicoiled no problem. But turns out I'm not the one who screwed em up. The one tab for the lower bolt hole that was damaged just fell off when I tried to brush some of the stripped threads out. After a closer look I noticed the other damaged tab /hole had been re welded on. I'm assuming this happened when the chain came off on the previous owner. I've tried jb weld and let it sit for 24 hours but it won't hold when I start to drill to put the helicoil in. So I'm going to have to get it re welded also. But I was able to get it together enough to go up the street about a quarter miletoday.