ZX10R Rebuild

NateBob

As some of you know, I crashed my 2011 ZX-10R about a week ago riding the hills of Coshocton. It was my first time ever going down. After I did it I looked at the bike and I thought for sure it was totalled. However, after all the guys with me helped me pick it up and roll it to a better location we got a closer look at it and realized it just might be fixable.

I'm starting this thread to document my rebuild. I'm sure some other riders will go down this summer and I know people have in the past, so I figure people could use this as a resource for rebuilding their own.

Fortunately, bikes are really easy to work on. So even though it may look like a huge undertaking, I'm sure many of us have the skills necessary to work on their own bike and bring it back to riding condition and I encourage you to do so. You might as well learn about the mechanical fundamentals of your bike and how it goes together as opposed to shelling out a bunch of cash to your dealer who may not dedicate the time and patience to doing the job that you would want done.

That being said, this is what my bike looked like after the crash:

2012-04-15_14-39-44_238.jpg

2012-04-15_14-39-55_362.jpg

Thanks to the help of my fellow OR's I got it home and back to the garage. I took off the stuff I knew was wrecked (fairings, exhaust) and got it ready to rinse off.

2012-04-21_14-34-25_51.jpg

2012-04-21_14-34-36_804.jpg

After a little soap and water its a lot easier to asses the damage.

2012-04-21_14-51-32_153.jpg

2012-04-21_14-52-09_251.jpg

The tank and frame have some scratches, but so far the fork, engine, frame and swingarm look to be unharmed. It's key to determine the condition of these components before deciding to go forward. It could potentially double the cost of your rebuild or more.

As the bike sits now I have all the damaged components removed. I'll follow up with some updates on parts as they arrive and their installs. I expect it should take about a month to 2 months to get back together.

holy crap! how fast were you going, and how far did the bike tumble?

Mine cartwheeled last time it was on the ground, and wasn't nearly that bad. I hope you came away in better shape than the bike.

I was going about 50mph when I let go of the bike. I think...

What road were you on?

We were on Hwy 60. We had just turned off of 541.

Thats not a pretty site. Are you going to make a claim or pay out of pocket? Best of luck with rebuilding it, hopefully the forks/frame arnt damaged.

Definitely not making a claim. Didn't even bother with an accident report. Didn't want the crash on my driving record. My insurance rates are high enough already!

We were on Hwy 60. We had just turned off of 541.

That must be pretty close to where I went down on OH-60 a couple years ago - Looking at the photos in the other thread it almost looked like the same corner but I think we were closer to Millersburg. There seems to be a lot of black sandy stuff on some sections of that road that isn't very good for traction and is tough to see.

Glad you're ok. That looks like it was pretty nasty, and the bike can be fixed or replaced.

At least you didnt get a shingina like Udell

Seriously. I wasn't on that ride, but I saw photos of the aftermath. I still think about that photo everytime I consider 'pushing it' a little more on the street.

Edited by Hailwood

That must be pretty close to where I went down on OH-60 a couple years ago - Looking at the photos in the other thread it almost looked like the same corner but I think we were closer to Millersburg. There seems to be a lot of black sandy stuff on some sections of that road that isn't very good for traction and is tough to see.

Glad you're ok. That looks like it was pretty nasty, and the bike can be fixed or replaced.

Seriously. I wasn't on that ride, but I saw photos of the aftermath. I still think about that photo everytime I consider 'pushing it' a little more on the street.

I wasnt with him either but he wrecked into my cousins yard. Udell come down on more then a few rides after that and made it home ok!

Trust me...I KNOW ABOUT THE 10... Ask anybody about my little old bike.... its 7 year old bike.. she old.

..lolololol

he cant ride a naked motorcycle, that would be indecent exposure and if he is riding her that would be committing lewd acts in public...

And if she is only 7years old thats wrong on so many levels... Or does this work like dog years :lol:

Best I could do, couldnt find panties so I went with a dress :dunno:

moto-d-summer-motorcycle-riding-undersuit-s-1.jpg

MotorcycleBraBike.jpg

But seriously, im personally not a fan of naked bikes, not saying he couldn't ride it naked, just saying it wouldnt look as good.(unless he had a few beers in him, the who cares how good she looks)

238416.jpg

Edited by Exarch

If you need any help let me know. You definitely went for a few flips. How you feeling?

Thanks, Brent. I'm fine now. I had some decent whiplash and some bruised ribs but I'm totally healed up.

Wow..I am guessing you had gear on. Did you get hurt? Good luck on the re build

I had a joe rocket jacket on with the armor pieces in and my helmet on. I was definitely lucky considering my lower body was pretty much unprotected.

My first purchase was a 1-piece leather suit. I'm not going to rely on luck again.

2012-04-19_20-53-29_522.jpg

Does anyone have any recommendations for places to get OEM parts cheap in the area? I'll be checking ebay and craigslist but theres some obscure parts I'm just going to have to get from a supplier.

• 1 month later...

Just figured I'd post up. I haven't abandoned this, but I'm waiting on funds for more parts. I went with a racing tubular rear subframe and got it powder coated red and installed. I'm pretty stoked about that. I need to get the race bodywork for the seat and tail as well as a new fender eliminator/tail light. At the nose I discovered I need to purchase a new headlight assy, so I'm waiting for one of those to pop up used since they are super expensive new. I was able to find a race version of the intake snorkel that is made of aluminum and is larger volume with less obstruction than the stock snorkel. It will take some modification to fit but it looks like it will work. I already have all the new fairings, so once I get those other parts and figure out an exhaust solution I will be ready to ride hopefully in about a month. I'm looking forward to getting back out there!

2012-05-28_12-07-53_846.jpg

2012-05-28_12-07-19_528.jpg