Drag Racers, Some Advice?

magley64

Sure thing. If the weather is decent I'll probably be going. I'll let you know.

If you are going to run a night on your bike in the hopes of learning how to launch better, you best be getting a spare clutch for after... But, it will certainly help. By the way, 8k isn't high enough to launch in a race...;)

I'm just going bone stock my first time or 2 for sure, if I feel like something is holding me back, and catch the legal racing bug, then I'll start to consider more prepping/mods. I feel like my bike is already faster than my ability to ride it.

If you are going to run a night on your bike in the hopes of learning how to launch better, you best be getting a spare clutch for after... But, it will certainly help. By the way, 8k isn't high enough to launch in a race...;)

I have spares, lots of spares! I part out wrecked Daytonas to fund my track days so I have boxes of spares. I've kept clutches, chains, sprockets, brake pads and rotors, wheels, levers, etc.

Also, that's why I want to practice. I know I'm not doing it the best I can. But even then, I know I'm a super Noob at track racing but I've done pretty well on the starts. Last year at Beaver in the mini 20 I went from about 12th on the grid to 2nd into turn 1, passing a lot of the seasoned riders, even Andrew. Of course he passed me back by turn 9. ;)

For Thompson you will be good with your normal riding gear I've run 140 there and they have never said anything about needing leathers.

As far as launching goes take it easy and get used to how your bike reacts on the sticky track don't go out there and try to launch hard your first time you need to find the sweet spot for you on your bike. Just take it easy at first you want to avoid bogging the engine down, get the clutch out as quick as possible without pulling a 12 o'clocker, get WOT and keep it there, oh and don't miss a shift.

Oh and stay off the rev limiter

If my ankle is healed up by then I'll join you

I don't go there trying to set any records.... insurance doesn't pay if I wreck it on drag strip... but it is fun and something to do other than bike night.... I never made it out there last year I'm curious how I'll do now with the stretch.

I think the critical part is traction, but the ability to stay in it w/o upsetting the chassis to the point you need to roll out.

I learned clutchless shifting at the drag strip long before I ever made it out to the track. It proved key to keeping the front end down by not giving the rear suspension a chance to rebound.

I'd love to at worse just hang and take it all in.

You're going to head all the way to Geauga just to hang and take it all in? How about you sign out some KTMs an meet me at 42 or MCIR? :D Wish I still had a sportsickle. :(

The clutch in my 600s showed no ill effects after many drag launches, but I wasn't quite a 60ft hero. I would hold at 8 at the line, and guess I would end up slipping about 10. Quick internet search for a dyno graph shows peak torque at 11.1, seems about right.

I'm no pro but I DO post on the internet.

I learned clutchless shifting at the drag strip long before I ever made it out to the track

isnt it hard on your transmission without an air clutch(air shifter? Not sure which is correct, ive heard both terms used)? Ive done clutches shifting a few times just to see if it was possible. I know its harmless on a car, but couldnt it lead to bending the shifting forks(not sure if thats the correct name) if you force it on a bike?

Edited by Exarch

isnt it hard on your transmission without an air clutch? Ive done clutches shifting a few times just to see if it was possible. I know its harmless on a car, but couldnt it lead to bending the shifting forks(not sure if thats the correct name) if you force it on a bike?

Yes, if you do it wrong.

isnt it hard on your transmission without an air clutch(air shifter? Not sure which is correct, ive heard both terms used)? Ive done clutches shifting a few times just to see if it was possible. I know its harmless on a car, but couldnt it lead to bending the shifting forks(not sure if thats the correct name) if you force it on a bike?

It's not forcing it if done right. Bike transmissions are quite different than todays' street cars. Most modern sportbikes have a significant undercut on the dogs and it works very smoothly. Just a relatively light preload and quick breathe off the throttle. I personally only like doing it at high-rpm WOT, where there is a significant engagement load on the current gear to preload against.

Better to have someone who knows what they're doing explain it to you in person. Guy at the dragstrip my first time when I was nervous about it actually knelt and pushed down on my toes to give me a feel for how much preload it takes - it was akward for a second until I realized what he was doing.

P.S. On a random side note about the differences between car and bike transmissions, I'm driving a manual trans car again for the first time in 10 years. I backed out of a parking spot at Chpotle today and was blocked out of first. I tried to do what I would do in a bike in that situation - preload the shifter and let the clutch out a little bit. The proper answer would have been to spin the mainshaft back up in neutral and let the synchros do their job. I'm sure anyone who heard the grinding got a chuckle out of the guy that can't drive a stick.

Edited by brn6604
P.S.

Thanks, I dont really plan on doing it again since I dont plan on racing/dragging down the road. I didnt realize there was a right and wrong way to do it(I might of done it wrong, although it seemed to.shift fairly smooth. I honesty had no clue what to expect, maybe a grind or jerk or figured it wouldnt do anything)

Thanks for clarifying that for me though. That questions been bugging me for like 2 months now lol.

there is, some try to force it, just like brn said a slight roll off after the shifter is loaded and pops right in or be lazy like me and get a quick shifter.

Quick shifters work diff from air shifters by allowing you to WOT shift right? It 'stalls' your engine so to speak? Where as air shift requires you to be off.the throttle? Or is.that.backwards?

Im cool just using the clutch, but who knows down the road(I dont plan on anything, but maybe a couple or so years from now when im more experienced) . I find all this stuff interesting, especially the drag racing. Unfortunately I havent been to a kill kare bike night for almost a year now. Its a nice change from watching cars.drag.all the time.

Quick shifters work diff from air shifters by allowing you to WOT shift right? It 'stalls' your engine so to speak? Where as air shift requires you to be off.the throttle? Or is.that.backwards?

Quick shifter does an ignition kill that accomplishes the same thing as the throttle roll-off when you're doing it yourself. I've never looked at an air shifter setup, but I assume it must do an ignition kill as well, just adding an air cylinder to replace what you would do with your foot.