Drag Racers, Some Advice?

magley64

All those shifter mods are cheating imo, just me, the bike, and the lights... pure.

Agreed. Drag racing a 600 is boring enough as it is after the first 15ft.

I think the really fast guys though (and by really fast, I mean the ones riding equipment that actually justifies having a tether kill switch requirement) never even get their feet back on the pegs.

http://www.racegadgets.com/airshifter.htm

Quick shifter does an ignition kill that accomplishes the same thing as the throttle roll-off when you're doing it yourself. I've never looked at an air shifter setup, but I assume it must do an ignition kill as well, just adding an air cylinder to replace what you would do with your foot.
I just realized you can use both air and quick shift at the same time, but I think air shift is useless outside of racing. I did a lil research on the differences and found your correct, it replaces the foot control, for some reason I was thinking it replaced the hand control.

All good stuff to know more about for when I get a chance to hit the strip again(watching, not racing of course)

Thanks again.

Here's my e-credentials for posting like I know what I'm talking about. From my one and only time bracket racing a motorcycle. There was some serious competition that night. :D

fx5a9.jpg

Epic race story:

There were five entries. Myself, a buddy, a guy on a quad, and two guys who showed up expecting test and tune that I had to explain bracket racing to. I was actually lined up to race my buddy in Rd 1, when the two new guys proposed we split up and race them because they "race each other on the street all the time and want to do something different for a change." We eliminated them while the quad took the bye. Rd2 my buddy drew the bye while I took on the guy who was pretty optimistic about how fast his quad was (despite a handful of practice passes that said otherwise). It was kinda fun giving a three second head start and then blowing by at a 50+ mph speed differential. I beat my buddy in an epic final round showdown, taking home the 3ft winnar trophy while he got a 1ft runner up. I think he was actually pretty jealous of that, especially since it sat at his house for a month or so before I picked it up, since his girlfriend was the only one we knew at the track that night with a car.

:trophy:

quad vs crf250 :lol: did he think he was riding quadzilla or some shit? Them crf250s are beastly. the first time I rode one I underestimated its power and bout landed on my back. Touchy lil buggers.

No, I was on a CBR600F4i. He was topped out at 69 before the 1/8th, and I passed him at 120 near the 1/4. It's bracket racing, google it. He was dialed in at 14-something, I was dialed in at 11-something, so he got a three second head start.

Only dirtbikes left in the stable now. I'm sometimes OK with that.

Edited by brn6604
F4i, not RR... forgot what year that was

I dont even know how to do a burn out :cry:

grab the front brake, lean forward, rev the throttle and release the clutch slowly until it breaks traction.

NOT like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAuPTo2XfJI&feature=player_embedded

or like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqeNRH87KyY&feature=related

definitely not this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8c0tDzyKlA&feature=related

Edited by magley64

I remember my first and only day of doing burnouts too. Normally unneccesary on the 600, I went to the track on opening day, and with no rubber down yet I was spinning bad halfway through second gear, and I figured a burnout might help. The starting line grandstand was pretty full by this time, and I was nervous as hell about screwing this up. I straddled the bike, grabbed a handful of front brake, put as much weight as I possibly could on the bars, revved it up and started letting the clutch out. At some point I turned around to make sure the tire was spinning and it wasn't just the clutch slipping, and I was shocked by the GINORMOUS wall of white tire smoke I had created in such a short time. That was one for the spectators. After I realized how easy it was, I got pretty cocky with it and was leaning the bike from side to side to get more of the tire. I didn't have the balls to roll out of it the way the cool kids do though, I would just grab the clutch to end the burnout and then proceed from there.

Just reminiscing... good times.

You don't need to burnout on street tires*

*There are a few exceptions. For example, depending on the track that day, my bike will either launch or spin at the line. If it spins, then I'll do a 1-2 second burnout (literally, I'll just spin the tire 5-10 rotations, only enough for barely a wisp of smoke) the rest of the night, followed by a couple dry hops to the staging beams to makes sure it won't spin. But the traction compound on the starting line usually makes it unnecessary to do a burnout.

Ohh, and the other exception is cameras, if someone is filming, you gotta rock the burnout!!! Yut ugh!!!

Edited by JRMMiii

thanks for the $.02 Justin. I had not planned on doing any burnout or any other prep work my first run...

My plan is just to let my bike run long enough to get the temp gauge to register before my run, get to the stage, wind to 1000 above idle, focus on the lights, wind it up and get the clutch out as quickly as possible. From there it's wide open throttle and shifts at 10k til I cross the finish.

I'm still up 1 tooth on the front sprocket, so if i catch this racing bug, that will probably go back to stock as the first "mod"

Edited by magley64

I think he means when it actually tells the temp of the bike mine doesn't show up till a certain temp is reached till then it's just some lines

And that was my plan as well just take it easy and have some fun at WOT without a worry of cops, dumbasses or woodland creatures.

It's a Honda not a Pontiac - just run it at operating temp. I don't like romping on things that aren't fully warmed up.
I think he means when it actually tells the temp of the bike mine doesn't show up till a certain temp is reached till then it's just some lines

And that was my plan as well just take it easy and have some fun at WOT without a worry of cops, dumbasses or woodland creatures.

My temp gauge starts reading at 137F I believe... when i ride it normally, I hit the key, wait for the speedo to go from 180 to zero, then hit the starter button. Gear up, and by the time i'm ready to go, the temp gauge starts reading. at temperatures below 137f it just says "-- F"