Drag Racers, Some Advice?

magley64

I was told ( by a regular dragbike rider ) to do the following on MY bike to help me have fairly good results ( under 10 sec )

strap down the front ( within reason, don't want to bottom out ) and lower the rear about the same ( this is on a stock wheel based machine ) - soften the preload, slow the rebound ( would probably take a few "good" passes to tinker it in correctly ) and drop my rear tire pressure to 15-20lbs ( to begin with ) and run the front tire at normal psi. Clutch work is key along with near perfect shifting. Gearing is played with dependant on your engine rpm when you cross the line ( don't want to be out of pull before and don't want it shifting just before either ) so that's another variable to deal with the more you run it. Use lightweight oils ( 0w or 5w ) to help the engine spool up as quickly as possible. Drop in the least amount of fuel possible to complete the run with the highest octane you can map for. Airfilter in or out is up to you, the gain is small but could play a part if you're trying to break into that next 10th of a second. Lighten the bike as much as possible by stripping whatever is considered ballast, dead weight slows you down but you need good aero so the bodywork stays. A clean and sleek bike is a quicker bike? He said something about waxing the entire front down for just a little less drag. Pull your mirrors! Brock Davidson estimates it takes on avg. 12HP to push a pair of mirrors down the 1/4 mile.

I'm sure you wont want to gut your bike and build a strip-only machine, but if you can apply any of the above it "could" better your chances in trimming your timeslips that much more. Hope this helps - btw, did you go run it yet?

in areal world situation, i never saw a difference with my mirrors or without on the strip.

strapping the front helps a lot, not as much if your front forks are lowered but some, lower helps too, both of those mostly for wheelie control.

dropping a tooth on the front sprocket helps your 60' times a bit.

clutch control is key.i like to pop it just a hair to jump off the line then get out of it as quickly and smoothly as possible without wheeling.

only use the clutch to get off the line, then speed shift the rest, adds about 2mph.

I will be at Thompson with some others this Wednesday if anyone wants to join.

are you still going? trmn8tr and i are talking about going tonight assuming there aren't any special requirements we need to meet or something

btw, please PM if you see this and you are going (cause i'll get the email notification). otherwise, i'll just start harassing every blue zx14 i see. i'll report back with my injuries.

trmn8tr and i tried to go last night but got there a bit late and they said it was too late and that we wouldnt be able to run til like 930 so we just left. i thought it was an open setup but i was wrong.

can you tell me how the races are setup?

Yes it was a worthless trip, and the gate attendant was even more worthless. I was hoping she could tell me a little about the format but she was just interested in telling us we were late and giving us a schedule with the same lack of info that's on their website.

Basic run down is they start the time trials at 5:30 you run as many times as possible some nights we've gotten in 8 or more runs last night got there a bit late only got in 2 before intermission. After intermission they start the eliminations this is where you tell them how fast you think you will run winner of bike group gets trophy.

Thanks for the info. Its been years since I went there with my car and I remembered that we were basically running as many times as we could. This must have been the "time trials" part of the night. I don't think we stayed for the eliminations.

Sorry for making you drive all over for nothing last night Jinu!

Thanks for the info. Its been years since I went there with my car and I remembered that we were basically running as many times as we could. This must have been the "time trials" part of the night. I don't think we stayed for the eliminations.

Sorry for making you drive all over for nothing last night Jinu!

meh, it was our collective ignorance. next time, we'll have our shot to make fools of ourselves for sure! well, i will... unlike mr. blazing race starts over here.