Another Hobby

Oryon

Along with Aviation, R/C Jets, and Motorcycles now! (yay)

I also am an amateur storm chaser, NWS Storm spotter, and dabble in photography..

Grabbed this shot last night!

403403_3183292900395_1207913535_32317406_64208821_n.jpg

Not from last night, I do have some from over the years, including a few tornado shots and video, that i'll link up here sometime soon...

Hoping to get some more tonight with the weather we are having down here...

I also am an amateur storm chaser, NWS Storm spotter, and dabble in photography..

Grabbed this shot last night!

Just don't combine your other hobbies with storm watching :D.

What & where do you fly?

Still flying out of Warren Co. Rent a Cherokee 180, I also rent/borrow a PItts S2C upon occasion out of Muncie Indiana, old friend of mine owns.

Plan is to build a Vans RV-8 someday, probably not till I retire though.. got that family crap going on...

On a side note of combining those activities, I read that the Natl Weather Svc is buying a fleet of retired A-10 warthogs, and outfitting them with meteorologic instrumentation, and then going to use them to fly into the mesocyclone and possibly even the funnel of Supercell storms out west! Kind of a twist on the "hurricane Hunters"

Now THAT would be a hell of a job for a pilot!! If I had my commercial ticket and turbine time.. etc etc, id apply for that job!

Noce shot Buildit! I mainly shoot lighting after dark where can leave the shutter open, any advice for daylight shooting?

(I of course shoot other weather stuff in the daylight, chasing a tornado after dark is just stupid)

Time exposure or really good luck?

Time exposure, set up the shutter for 30 second release, triggered via remote. basically aim the cam @ the active part of the sky, trigger, wait, trigger, wait. etc etc.. wound up with over 120 shots last night to get that one good bolt shot!

Noce shot Buildit! I mainly shoot lighting after dark where can leave the shutter open, any advice for daylight shooting?

(I of course shoot other weather stuff in the daylight, chasing a tornado after dark is just stupid)

Night shots are hard because the flash over exposes the shot most of the time. During the day it is easier as the setting can be set for bright situations. Any lightening shot is just dumb luck unless you have high speed photography equipment. I have dumb luck. :lol:

Here are some night shots that were okay

9-16lightening.jpg

This is a flag pole in the foreground, I was trying to get the flag illuminated.

lighteningflag2.jpg

Grabbed this shot last night!(pic removed)

NWS huh? you should at least warn us before you catch a downpour of naked women on camera...

That shot was at night, auto exposure, ISO 400, turned out pretty well i think..I shoot with a Nikon D70 DSLR... funny that I have a harder time with daytime shots than night, since ive heard night is harder before too!

If I catch a downpour of naked women on camera, I promise I will post the photos and video!

The best shots I get always seem to be before the rain and clouds move in. The lightening reflects off the clouds too much most the time for a good shot. As I said though, it's mostly luck for me. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

theres alot of talent and luck in taking those photos that way. has anyone tried using digital video camera? then you could use a single frame exported as an image? they won't be as high definition, but if you want a good web shot or 5x7 quality, might be ok enough depending on what your use is. either way thank you for sharing!

theres alot of talent and luck in taking those photos that way. has anyone tried using digital video camera? then you could use a single frame exported as an image? they won't be as high definition, but if you want a good web shot or 5x7 quality, might be ok enough depending on what your use is. either way thank you for sharing!

Yes, I've tried several video cameras including my contour. Problem is they can not adjust fast enough in most cases for the flash of the lightening so all you get is a big white frame. :(