JHM Memorial Poker Run

djcody

Hey there fellow Ohio Riders, I wanted to give you all a heads up and let you know about a poker run I am working on at the present time.

I am sure you all remember John H McConnell, but in case u dont.... He was founder of Worthington Industries and the founding owner of the Columbus Blue Jackets. His son now has them. Mr Mac as he was called by friends, was a wonderful man and had a heart of gold. He gave to the community in every way he could. Some examples is the addition of the amphitheater at the Columbus Zoo, the expansion of the McConnell Heart Hospital to Riverside just to name some.

It has been a while since his passing and I want his charitable legacy to continue and will put on this annual event. It is still in the planning stages and collection donations for raffle prizes. The event will be on Aug 18th and start at the McConnell Park at the Worthington Industries complex at end of Dearborn Dr.

If there is any businesses out there that would like to sponsor this event, please contact me. Currently in talks with A D Farrow and if it works out, there will be a great party at the end of it. I would appreciate any help we can get. The proceeds go to the Blue Jackets Foundation and Worthington Cylinders Adopt a Family Christmas Program.

Thanks,

Cody

Edited by djcody

You work at Columbus or Westerville Cylinder, plant or office?

Mr. Mac was a great businessman and an even better human being, had the pleasure of meeting him multiple times at work.

One (of many) stories: Worthington Industries used to have an annual Christmas Party. Food, drink, Columbus Zoo petting zoo for the kids, and Santa would arrive via the Worthington Corporate Helicopter. All kids got a bag of gifts, and could get their picture taken sitting on Santa's lap.

Who played Santa? Mr. Mac. He truly loved his employees and their families, and relished playing Santa.

Oh, and he paid for everything out of his own (admittedly very deep) pockets. This wasn't some Corporate event that could be written off come tax time.

/Free bump for charity in the name of an awesome individual.

I should be off that saturday I will talk to my group that usually rides together to get them on board! Sounds like it will be a great time and it ends about 5 minutes from my house so that will be great! Just keep us informed.

• 2 months later...