63 members have voted

1. 1. What browser do you use the most?

• Internet Explorer
    • Firefox
    • Chrome
    • Opera
    • Safari
    • Other

Asking since I notice there are alot of computer folks on here. I'm just a user who doesn't like change - if it ain't broke don't fix it. Been using Internet Explorer since something made me switch from Netscape Navigator sometime long long ago.

What do the cool kids use for a web browser these days?

IE seems to load up on all these ads and apps and scripts and plug-ins and whatever the hell else is running on web pages these days. More and more frequently it gets to the point where it is damn near locked up and I exit and reopen to start with a fresh memory allocation.

I just want the least memory- and processor-intensive thing that is compatible with whatever add-ons are necessary to view typical webpage content these days. Anything that can bypass all this "googleads" and whatever stuff that requires me to go back three pages on my back button would be a bonus. Anything with cookie control that keeps me logged in but prevents Google, Yahoo, Facebook and whatever else from knowing and sharing when I take a shit is preferred.

1st Firefox

2nd Chrome

3rd Opera (mobile)

Explanation:

When I surf the web I have usually upwards of 100 tabs open. Maybe its bad practice but I have found it to be extremely useful when switching between subjects that I am researching or whatever. Firefox can support that great, but unfortunately I have to restart it every couple weeks/days (depending on how many new tabs, how many old remain, flash, pdf's etc) when the memory leak gets to be too great and it slows down. Chrome works better for keeping the browser open for longer periods of time, but cannot support nearly the same number of tabs or amount of change over. I have found there to be a memory leak with Chrome as well when the turnover rate of tabs/windows gets to be excessive. When Chrome has trouble it just closes the windows and all of my tabs are lost. When Firefox crashes, it saves all of the tabs including individual browsing history for each tab (you can go backward/forward pages). Chrome still feels far too unrefined for me to use it exclusively. The well supported add-on community for Firefox puts it leaps and bounds ahead of Chrome as well as many other features. Although I think the memory leak has just gotten worse with newer revisions of Firefox, it is still my primary browser. I would like to see some accessibility features of Chrome added to Firefox in the future and the memory leak fixed (haha) but until then it will have to share the spotlight, once the memory runs away, with Chrome. I use opera mobile because it is simply a better browser than the Symbian S3 native browser and I have limited options.

Firefox at home and work

Chrome at home if Firefox is having problems

Safari on iPhone (don't have much choice)

I used to only use IE until someone showed me Firefox back in middle school been using it since and love it, Chrome is bad ass too I'm just used to Firefox and don't want to change

On computer:

-On Windows: Chrome 19 & FF 12 for non-work, IE 9 for work stuff. All work equally well, IE 9 required for some sites.

-On Linux: IceWeasel, SwiftFox, wget (!)

On the phone:

Google Mobile

On the tablet:

Built-in Android browser, Opera, Dolphin, Maxthon, FF, XScope, Skyfire. Dolphin seems to usually run best balanced with ease of use. Still trying to find something that works consistently that has nothing I don't like. I might be awhile on this quest.

Edited by jblosser
forgot about one on the tablet

Chrome for almost everything. IE9 is pretty good, but I run Folding @home GPU client, and IE9 uses the hardware acceleration, and is slow unless I pause the Folding work, which I then forget to resume when I'm done quite often.

At work, we have an older version of IE I believe, it has XP on it. That thing is probably too old and slow for Win7. It's ok, it does what we need it to!

Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll try Firefox first and if I have problems with that move on to Chrome.

Guess I should have mentioned that I run IE8 on XP. Like everything else, I'll stick with XP until I'm forced otherwise. I even set everything to "classic" view. Just starting to get over my hatred of Office 2007...

Guess I should have mentioned that I run IE8 on XP. Like everything else, I'll stick with XP until I'm forced otherwise. I even set everything to "classic" view. Just starting to get over my hatred of Office 2007...

I felt the same way about XP until I bought a new pc and had no choice but to go with Windows7.

I was reluctant but now I love it. The pc has crashed ONE time since I got it probably almost a year now.

W7 is pretty solid.