Motorcycle Service Departments (General)

rubbersidedown

Does anyone else see a problem with motorcycle service departments and the fact that they do not schedule appointments? It frustrates me that when I need service performed the service department expects me to drop off my bike and accept that they will get to it when they get to it usually quoting a one to two week turn around based on the season. Now compare that to “cage” maintenance, a service department might say, “I can get you in next Wednesday, drop it off Tuesday night or Wednesday morning and we will call you when it is done.” (Heck, mine will even shuttle me to work.)

It appears to me that bike shops do not have any type of scheduling software. Sure software costs money and dealerships are in a struggle to survive but how hard would it be to create a simple excel to see who is doing what and when so that customers can be serviced better? (Excel even has a template that could be used.) Sure, build in extra time for oil changes and tire changes or hire a low level tech for this low hanging fruit. This can be done.

I am a daily commuter so I dislike being asked to leave my bike in the shop to collect dust for a week since I lose $40 a week to the gas man when I have to drive the cage. I would be much happier dropping my bike off the night before and picking it up in the evening after service. I realize that some of us only ride on the weekends and this scenario is ok with them but come on service managers!

I do most of my own maintenance so this is fueled by the fact that I needed to have my valve clearances checked and adjusted (that will be a different thread). While I was there I talked to the service manager about this situation and he really didn’t see a problem or care. I brought up the fact that society views our motorcycles as toys and not as transportation. His response was, “Well they are.” I was shocked to hear that from a guy who pays his mortgage based on this business. My response is that I commute 12,000 miles a year on my bike and 3,000 miles per year in my cage, which is the toy?

Does anyone else feel my frustration?

If yes, why do we accept this level of service?

Does anyone know of a metric bike shop in Cincy that meets my need for a scheduled time?

:rant:

Yes and no. Yes it's annoying because I hate not having to option to ride on really nice days, but it also does not bother me too much because I do not NEED the bike everyday like I do my car. Yes you save some gas but it's not the end of the world to drive a few extra days. Now if they are being unreasonable with time that's another story but a few days to a week is normal for bikes IMO. It takes some time to get parts in a lot of cases, especially mine since my bike is so uncommon, so mine may sit there an entire week without being touched just waiting on parts.

I'm already fairly relaxed, but pass it here anyway Papa......I'm game:D

I sort of agree with rsd here - there should be some sort of schedule kept simply to accommodate customer satisfaction.

If I took my riding mower into a service shop and they said "we'll be in touch once we get around to it and let you know what the problem is" I wouldn't be leaving it there......afterall, if my lawn doesn't get mowed the city will evetually threaten to fine me, and ultimately do so if I neglect to cut it for too long.

The same situation applies to my bike - if I'm forced to commute in my truck for more than a few weeks of beautiful weather, someone is eventually going to get a roadrage induced ambulance ride as I'm unable to lane-split past their assjackity texting, reading, or ignoring the surrounding public:nono:

I don't know how to do this' date=' so I want you to do this...and I want it done on my terms.[/quote']

Out of curiosity, why can a car service department do this but not a cycle service department?

Well... clearly' date=' you are in the minority. If you weren't, the market would adjust its behavior. I suggest you hit the bong and try to relax.[/quote']

Maybe I am the minority but the power of social media is amazing. Many businesses have and will continue to change the way they do business if it means more $$$ and satisfied customers. That my friend is the true reason for this post. I do not accept the status quo as the best answer.

Or maybe I'm a grouchy old man. :D

You could always do more commuting on the track bike and more tracking on the commuter bike to alleviate your scheduling issues.

I like the way you find solutions! Problem is the trackbike is not street legal and the VFR is too expensive to fix if something goes wrong.

doesn't make sense to me. :dunno:

I literally live 10 mins. away from Middletown cycle and it always seems like they are four weeks out.

Went with my buddy to clinton county motorsports with a buddy that was in the market for a bike and found out they did same day/ next day tire changes. Took my business there, even tho it was an almost hour long ride. Well worth it too.