Generic Fuel Pump?

Blitz

I have a 97 ZX6r and the fuel pump is going bad. I have read in some places online that its possible to replace it with a generic Autozone (Mr. gasket) fuel pump as long as it's the same psi which is like 2.4 to 3.1 psi, I think. Is this possible? how is it wired.....just cut into the wiring harness that runs the fuel pump now or does it need to have another source of power? Any ideas guys?

you're just opening a can of worms in my opinion. unless you're saving like $100 bucks or something.

Over $100. I've read about this on multiple forums. Problem is nobody gives any specific ways to do it as far as the electrical wiring.

Fuel pump pressure is 1.6-2.3psi

New fuel pump is $160. How much is the generic pump?

As for the electrical, it's only two wires. Positive and ground. If I was going to go the generic route as you talk about I'd cut the connector off the old pump and use Posi-Lock connectors to splice the connector onto the two leads of the generic pump. Pretty simple really.

Fuel pump pressure is 1.6-2.3psi

New fuel pump is $160. How much is the generic pump?

As for the electrical, it's only two wires. Positive and ground. If I was going to go the generic route as you talk about I'd cut the connector off the old pump and use Posi-Lock connectors to splice the connector onto the two leads of the generic pump. Pretty simple really.

That's about what I was hoping for. I found the OEM pump for $143 plus shipping. Generic pump is $50 or less. May be worth the extra hundred bucks to just get the right part, but I haven't decided.

If it's as easy as just splicing a positive and negative and attaching the fuel lines then maybe that's the way to go.

I found the wiring diagram in the service manual. Looks like it's just a positive and a ground going to the pump after the relay. If that's the case it would only make sense to buy the generic pump.....as long as it's the same psi. I think that's what I'm going to do.

And it confirmed 1.6-2.3 psi. Thanks

I'm finding the lowest psi available is 2-3.5. Is that going to be a problem? Will it require a carb adjustment? I'm finding in other forums people saying it runs fine but I'm not sure about it.

Bought an OEM pump. 2 day air so hopefully I'll get it before next weekend.

In the meantime I JB welded the seam around the fuel pump where it was leaking and it no longer leaks. Little worried about running it like that though. Bad idea or should be ok? What do you guys think?