Colorado woman shot after drunken home invasion

idodishez

Attempted murderer homeowners should have tried:

-talking

-retreating

-throwing elbows/fists

-a Taser

...before resorting to attempted murder.

Sounds like they initiated the confrontation, but we will only know one side of the story, as the victim is now (presumably) sober and has forgotten the experience.

What is this world coming to? Poor, innocent, tiny young girl was simply on her way home, got lost, and almost got killed.

:trolldad:

Edited by jblosser
  • Upvote 3

I had a drunk guy walk in one night. Or try to, his house keys weren't working too well. I put my arm around him, I took his keys, I put him in his car, and I took him home. Which was fun, since he was drunk and couldn't find his place. It didn't take me long to figure out where he lived, a block away. And I gave the keys to somebody sober. You do what you gotta do.

Funny that part about always remembering where you live. One of my friends would always snap out of it sitting in the driveway of the place he used to live before he moved. Then he would go home.

edit: btw, most states have a provision that the intruder must be violent. Not just drunk and belligerent.

Edited by ReconRat

I read through that article. It was complicated. Both home owners were psychiatrists that had stalking restraint orders against patients. One of which was a female that followed them by moving into the same neighborhood. The confrontation took place in a dark bedroom, that the intruder was stumbling into.

I'm really not surprised at the outcome. But I think they should remember to lock their door, it was open.

edit: And learn to turn the lights on. Motion detection lights, big flashlight, etc.

Dark, in my house at 330am, stranger, yelling at her and she ignores you telling her to get out.....shoot the drunk dumb shit. Her voluntering somewhere before doesn't make it ok to do what she did. I hate when they pull that card in crime.

Dark, in my house at 330am, stranger, yelling at her and she ignores you telling her to get out.....shoot the drunk dumb shit. Her voluntering somewhere before doesn't make it ok to do what she did. I hate when they pull that card in crime.

Completely agree.

I agree that I would be feeling in danger if a random person showed up in my home and wasn't responding to verbal commands.

I always would want to visually verify my target before firing. (That is why there is a light on the nightstand next to my pistol). She did not sound like she was moving quickly, and more so like she was moving slowly and clumsily, which should have given time for a light to be turned on. However, with both homeowners already having to deal with perpetual stalkers, I can see how the situation would be a bit more fear motivated than normal.

Of course visually verifying your target just tells you who you are going to shoot. If she still does not respond to commands after the lights are on, and continues to presents what you interpret as a threat, then she gets shot.

Now if I feel the intruder is really just there by mistake and means no harm, I am willing to try a different response. That different response still keeps a pistol in my hand, a space bubble between me and the intruder, and my wife with a clear LOS and the shotgun on the intruder.

Sadly, the homeowners will likely get sued over this. That light thing is helpful for shot placement too.

They shouldn't get sued. Colorado has a castle law somewhat like Ohio's. The homeowner is protected from any prosecution in the even of a defense shooting in the home. The old folks did the right thing. Pretty girls can commit horrible nasty murders too. Ask Charles MANSON.

I agree that I would be feeling in danger if a random person showed up in my home and wasn't responding to verbal commands.

I always would want to visually verify my target before firing. (That is why there is a light on the nightstand next to my pistol). She did not sound like she was moving quickly, and more so like she was moving slowly and clumsily, which should have given time for a light to be turned on. However, with both homeowners already having to deal with perpetual stalkers, I can see how the situation would be a bit more fear motivated than normal.

Of course visually verifying your target just tells you who you are going to shoot. If she still does not respond to commands after the lights are on, and continues to presents what you interpret as a threat, then she gets shot.

Now if I feel the intruder is really just there by mistake and means no harm, I am willing to try a different response. That different response still keeps a pistol in my hand, a space bubble between me and the intruder, and my wife with a clear LOS and the shotgun on the intruder.

Sadly, the homeowners will likely get sued over this. That light thing is helpful for shot placement too.

So your saying you have the ability to wake up in the dark from a dead sleep and flip on a light and focus just fine? Doesn't work for me.

I woulda shot the broad too, especially with all these bath salt zombies running around!.

^ Exactly what he said. With all the drugs like Meth, and Bath Salts these days I would have shot her no questions asked. At 330 in the morning the last thing I'd think is ohh maybe they are drunk. I'm only thinking I need to keep my family safe.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have shot her, eventually. But shooting at a target in the dark is just a bad idea. I'll take that extra second to ID a target before I shoot. I mean what if I shot a neighbor's kid who was looking for help? Or if I miss since I'm just shooting into the dark, and the bullet punches through the wall and kills a neighbor, or family member? (All very unlikely "what if" scenarios, but still) I just don't like taking a shot with that many unknowns.

Of course if I hear someone breaking into my house and rapidly moving through the place I might give a warning call but their getting shot when they clear the threshold of the door.

And, yes, I can and have woken up with the immediate response of grabbing a weapon and light. But that's from training and life experiences. I'm not sure if I really sleep deeply anymore.

My point was going from lights out to lights on is going to hinder vision. I've also had lots of training and I'd probably go for a verbal identification/ use some command presence and order them to get on the ground. If the person stays standing they are getting a round in em. But I doubt anyone not meaning me harm would enter my house when knocking works.