I want a Diesel jeep

redkow97

If jeep would put a diesel straight 6 in a 4 door wrangler, I would never buy another vehicle ever.

Good in snow. Can tow enough. Top off in summer. 4x4 in winter. Manual transmission. Decent mileage.

Why haven't they done this?

Why haven't they done this?

Emissions, cost, government bullshit, etc. Why aren't there more diesels in general? Same reason.

My personal theory is that Jeep has devoted its energies into luxurizing its line to satisfy Dave Matthews fans who drive in sandals, and such things aren't even on the radar. Well, they are, but they're down the list after items like "how do we get this to the showroom without it rusting apart?"

I would never buy another vehicle ever.

Maybe they want to sell more vehicles.. :p

Supposedly something like this is coming. Apparently the new 'clean diesel' regs and the stigma that 'Mericans won't buy them are holding things back at the moment.

I for one would love a small, fuel-efficient, high-torque car as a daily driver.

now that you mention it, i do recall the diesel liberty, but not the grand cherokee.

That was probably part of the Daimler/Chrysler merger. Not sure why they wouldn't have pushed it further.

I have been riding around in my buddy's wrangler a lot, and although I'm generally against 4-door wranglers, it makes the car infinitely more practical, and only really compromises off-road ability (which I don't get to do often anyway).

It wouldn't be "sporty," but that's why I have the bike... A 6 speed with 33" all-terrains and a small lift would made it "fun," and a hard top/soft top combo would just make it pretty much the best vehicle ever.

looking at the old liberty diesel numbers, it got 25% better fuel economy than the V6 with the same 5,000 lbs. towing capacity.

So I could reasonably tow a 6x10 with a couple bikes, or 1 bike and all the shit in the world.

damn, now I really really want this to be an option :( even the interiors on wranglers have gotten down-right liveable.

They still ride like sh1t....

Find one with a blowed-up motor, put one-a dem Cummins in 'er.

As noted, I've been riding around in my buddy's with 36's and a 10" lift or something stupid.

A stock suspension would be bliss by comparison.

I'd certainly by a 4 door Wrangler diesel. We put a diesel in a 76 CJ in college, that was a fun swap but boy was it ghetto rigged from many a night of drunk modding

I'm also used to a truck suspension so riding in and driving my friends 2011 4dr Wrangler was smooth to me lol

Now that Fiat owns Chrysler, I think we'll be seeing more diesels across the product line...to hopefully include the Wrangler.

I know if it does happen, I will own one.

Can you say 241HP, 406TQ!

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2012/06/diesel-ram-1500-approved

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/V6/VM-RA-diesel.html

This is a buddy's of mine 1983 Scrambler.

Built 4BT, 60 front, 14 bolt rear, detroits front and rear, Atlas II, running 40's on beadlocks.

Complete boxed frame, spring over Old Man Emu leafs, Fox shocks, inside of tub Line X'd.

It will literally go anywhere...

It's for sale...$25k.

2012-05-08_12-22-39_542.jpg

Edited by BadTrainDriver

They also put a diesel in the Commander a few years. I hate that they stopped putting in the I-6. I had a built 4.0L in my TJ. That thing was a monster. 500 lift cam, 3 angle valve job, port/polished head, 11:1 compression ratio, Banks header into a Banks exhaust. But that all made for a 93 octane gas hog, so it had to go when I bought the boat.

Jeep already makes diesel Wranglers, but so far only for fur-in markets.

There are a lot of them overseas. Go figure. They can put them in a Vw Jetta that got 34 mpg 10 years ago but :dunno:. You can import the motors and swap them in for different vehicles.

Edited by Gump

Rattletrap Jeep = MBRP Exhaust Company Show Vehicle.

Also equals well over $100k...

It's nice and pretty, but I guarantee it's never seen anything but a mall parking lot.

Edit: They do use it. You Tube it...pretty sweet, rolling the black smoke!

Edited by BadTrainDriver

This is a buddy's of mine 1983 Scrambler.

Built 4BT, 60 front, 14 bolt rear, detroits front and rear, Atlas II, running 40's on beadlocks.

Complete boxed frame, spring over Old Man Emu leafs, Fox shocks, inside of tub Line X'd.

It will literally go anywhere...

It's for sale...$25k.

2012-05-08_12-22-39_542.jpg

Nice