Teach me how to...

Bad324

...ride 2 up! The girlfriend has been bugging me to take her for a ride and I've been putting it off but alas the time has come. The problem is she's never been a passenger and I've never had one. So all tips and suggestions are very much welcome for myself as well to relay to her

• Upvote 1

nothing to it, she leans as you lean, you take it slower, and give yourself more room to brake/maneuver... it's just like packing your bike up with 100 pounds of luggage usually..

The only special thing I have with backpack as far as riding is if I'm about to pass someone or take off quickly, I tap her on the thigh twice... She knows that means "hang on tight"

you can ome up with your own gestures for relaying information, or take the easy way and buy a set of helmet coms.

if you want, I'll be happy to give your lady a ride on the XX if you think she'll be quirmy on you...but I think you'll be fine, you're a competent rider.

Edited by magley64

...ride 2 up! The girlfriend has been bugging me to take her for a ride and I've been putting it off but alas the time has come. The problem is she's never been a passenger and I've never had one. So all tips and suggestions are very much welcome for myself as well to relay to her

For her...make it easy. Her rules are:

1) Stay reasonably centered.

2) Feet on the pegs.

3) Head up and look through the corners...not off to the side or at the ground. They will do this, you will have to remind them constantly.

4) Hang on to something but not your dick.

Your rules:

1) Go slow. Harley speeds minus 20 percent.

2) Straight flat road. If I recall correctly you are Brecksville or around there. Take her down/up 21. Turn around and go back. Keep the first few short.

3) Your braking distance just increased. Considerably.

4) Go slow. No, slower.

As you ramp her and yourself up don't skip from the above to the advanced riding you are used to...work your way up. And watch how you corner. You and I know you can throw the bike over and into a corner and it will respond awesomely. She doesn't...so avoid sudden shifts in the movement of the bike. Gentle rolls in the corners and gentle braking.

If I am right on your location I am in Seven Hills. If you do want her to ride with someone more 2 up experienced I will be happy to do it. I have a big comfy cruiser with a back rest and grab bars. However, I don't think you need to do that.

• Upvote 1

I'm not too worried but I'm always looking for advice from people who have more experience than me. She's got her heart set on tomorrow evening and I already gave her the "lean when I lean don't try to counter balance" speech last night as I know that much. The VFR has the grab bars so I think that will help but I get the feeling at first shes gonna be a bit nervous and wanna hold on to me

We'll see how things progress but I'm slow enough solo, I can't imagine how bad I'd be with her on it. I can't figure out if I'm more worried about her getting hurt or laying the bike down and having to tear it down, get it painted and put it back together again :lol:

For her...make it easy. Her rules are:

1) Stay reasonably centered.

2) Feet on the pegs.

3) Head up and look through the corners...not off to the side or at the ground. They will do this, you will have to remind them constantly.

4) Hang on to something but not your dick.

I agree with 1,2 and 4... I don't think 3 is worth mentioning, as long as she leans with him, she can look wherever her heart desires, and it shouldn't effect his lines.

Bad, Just relax,and take boring roads until you get a feel for how she rides back there. There is nothing to it, make sure you have firm footing at stops, but while you're moving you might not notice her back there other than the loss of performance. If you pick it up near as fast as you picked up riding solo, you'll be dragging pegs on the dragon with her on the back, just like armith and emily in no time.

Edited by magley64

I agree with 1,2 and 4... I don't think 3 is worth mentioning, as long as she leans with him, she can look wherever her heart desires, and it shouldn't effect his lines.

Not a safety issue. It is a comfort issue for her, she may get scared/nervous not looking up. I speak from experience on that one.

Edited by Tonik

thanks Tonik and Magz, thats the sort of extra info I'm looking for. I'm sure she will be fine but I can absolutely see her wanting to look in every damn direction and not paying attention to the leaning lol

The VFR has the grab bars so I think that will help but I get the feeling at first shes gonna be a bit nervous and wanna hold on to me

The grab bars may be too close to the seat for her to feel secure. They can make you fell tippy or top heavy. She may be more secure hanging on to you. That also makes it easier for her to lean. Instead of lean you tell her to move with your body.

But does she really need to lean on her first ride going 35 mph in a straight line down 21?

But does she really need to lean on her first ride going 35 mph in a straight line down 21?

exactly. At this point my only concern for awhile would be turns at stop signs and red lights

Not a safety issue. It is a comfort issue for her, she may get scared/nervous not looking up. I speak from experience on that one.

Understood :cool:

just as a point of reference, the thigh tap is way better than the way I used to signal for "hold on" (with the ex, I just grabbed her arms and wrapped them around my waist tight like a belt, lol)

I thought you Mexicans were expert carpoolers. Riding two up should be a piece of tortilla for you compared to fitting 12 dudes in a Chevy cavalier.

:lol:

I'm glad someone made a Mexican joke. I was going to give him shit for it being his "first time" and to be sure to handle the breasticles as he would his precious tomatoes.

• Upvote 1

I agree with what Magz said and tapping the leg when I get ready to take off (aka hard acceleration). Since its a short ride you shouldnt need to many signals. You will get used to her being on the back and how her movements effect your bike. I would tell her to not move around when your coming to a stop or moving at a slow speed. Small movements can catch you off guard and are multiplied when going slow.

Overall, your not going to notice too much of a difference. Just ride like normal and try to be smooth with acceleration and braking. When you ride a more twisty roads and longer distances then more comes into play.

Take her on a scenic ride. Freeway through the city at dusk with little traffic or along the lake or something. Ride to dinner even.

Edit.. Our first ride was on a 250r and that was manageable but not fun. The 2 600RR's we've ridden are better but still notice her on the back. The Vstrom we test rode...I could barely tell she was there and the VFR should be about the same.

Edited by Mykill

Pretty much everything has already been said. If you think you are going slow enough, go a bit slower.

That year VFR still has the single banana seat right? If so, tell her that when you are braking, she can put one hand on the gas tank to keep from sliding into you. It's a trick that my wife tells anyone going for a first ride two-up. Helps so you both don't end up sharing the same part of the seat.