Don't Thank a Marine for Their Service

imprez55

Unless you have been in the military, you can't understand the lifestyle.

Thanks are fine, but i doubt many civilians understand what they are actually thanking for.

Best way I've heard it said yet!

-VanDy

I've never been in combat. I've never been to a war-stricken nation. I've never witnessed a friend dying. I've never had to make the choice between my values and my own death.

Most folks in my shoes are full of shit. I am guilty of this. I have this luxury because men and women' date=' who are far braver than I, take up arms and make sure I am allowed this luxury.

There aren't enough "thank you's" in the world to make up for that, but please allow me one more feeble luxury.. as I thank you for your service.

I love every one of you.[/quote']

That is the most heart felt thank you I have heard yet. I don't often leave rep, but i am now.

-VanDy

I understand exactly where VanDySS is coming from, and don't disagree with it. I too joined for a lot of things that would benefit myself, as I needed the discipline and structure that came with service. And while it was almost as it was expiring, I used my GI Bill to get my degree for the career I have now. I am lucky that my college education to date has cost me only time. But I also joined for some other reasons that I would never benefit by, and was fine with that. I knew enough to know that I didn't know everything about where I was going and getting into, but was willing to accept that it wasn't all going to go my way. Then again, that's life.

As far as thanks go, I agree too that the understanding of what you are being thanked for is relative. VanDy, Recon, Chevy and I all know more about what we would appreciate being thanked for than those who are thanking us and have never served. But their lack of understanding doesn't dilute the value of their thanks for me. As well, I thank guys and gals that have served for their service, for a few reasons, especially those that have been in combat. I was fortunate enough to not have, and recognize that my service was by comparison uneventful. But I had no control over that, and conversely am proud for what I did do, even if it meant that the only time I fired my weapon was for training or qualifying. (And since I was a mechanic, many of you should be thankful that your freedom was not predicated upon my marksmanship skills at that time.) So it doesn't bother me when folks who don't understand it all thank me, because some of them thank me knowing that while they don't know what it takes to be a Marine, feel that for whatever reason they couldn't and appreciate that I did. And I humbly accept any thanks given to me by anyone that has served.

Most in the miltary appreciate the thanks they get, deep down inside. Unfortunately, many are too humble or even embarassed to fully show the appreciation.

The ones that say they "hate getting thanks" disgust me. If that's how you feel, keep it to yourself. Don't ruin it for others.

Anyone that thinks it is just a job...go to the airport and watch a family farewell before a 12+ month deployment.

I really don't see where getting paid factors in. You can get paid to be an IT guy in the military or as a civilian. Same goes for a plethora of other careers: mechanics, doctors, nurses, lawyers, ministers, etc. Though i cant speak for every career path, some of the professionals, medicine in particular, take a pay cut relative to going the civilian route. Joining for your own benefit doesn't have to be a negative either. We can't all live up to this early 20th century ideal of someone who leaves his cozy job to go fight on the front lines for his country. When I decided to go into medicine in the military, sure I got a lot of benefits from that, but I'll be damned if anyone thinks I don't view it as a great honor to take care of the people in this country who deserve, and many times need, care the most. It gives me a whole new sense of purpose and pride. So don't think less of yourself or others just because there's personal benefits involved. Bettering your own life and serving aren't mutually exclusive.

Edited by smashweights
  • Upvote 1

I always thank service members when I can. I come from a military family and it just shows respect no matter what you did in the service.

Edited by Jst2fst
Damn Auto-correct

im a united states marine that has done 3 combat deployments to iraq and afghan. i dont mind it when people thank me for my service, but i would like them to just leave it at that and change the subject. us military men do what we do not only for the war, but mainly to keep our brothers safe next to us in combat. so in all said, a hand shake and thank you for our service is nice because it shows that people still do care for what we do weather they are for or against the war, they still support the troops that have to go over and fight.

"It's a job...period." Um, no. Is every occupation in the military one that puts one in constant danger? Absolutely not.

Occupational hazards... I coul've very easily joined any of the armed forces with the scores on my asvabs, I had gotten calls from every branch asking me to join up...

I could've joined police academy. and had similar occupational hazards.

I could've become an electrical line worker fixing power lines, and had a completely different set of occupational hazards.

Just because your job is dangerous doesn't make it a "special" job...

I chose a different route, and I'm pretty happy with it. If there comes a time when I need to serve in order to protect my country, I will happily do so, but in the mean time, my skills and abilities are better suited elsewhere.

If you chose the military as your career, more power to you, but don't expect me to praise you for what is essentially a career decision.

I served in peace time, so by most peoples figuring I am not a Vet or a Hero. Those are not the reasons I enlisted. I see the returning "Heros" expecting a huge ceremony and a parade. I see them puffing out there chests and shouting "I'm a war Vet!". I won't thank them for that. Nor will I thank the Ones that gladly excepted the

$ 20,000 reenlistment bonus so they could sit in an airconditioned office and help spend trillions of our tax dollars on rebuilding the Hospitals and Orphanages we bombed last week.

I did not benefit from the wars in the Middle East nor did my neighbors. Those that enlisted profited greatly.

Thank George Bush. He's the one that asked for volunteers to kill and those that did are called Heros.

• Upvote 1

Occupational hazards... I coul've very easily joined any of the armed forces with the scores on my asvabs, I had gotten calls from every branch asking me to join up...

I could've joined police academy. and had similar occupational hazards.

I could've become an electrical line worker fixing power lines, and had a completely different set of occupational hazards.

Just because your job is dangerous doesn't make it a "special" job...

I chose a different route, and I'm pretty happy with it. If there comes a time when I need to serve in order to protect my country, I will happily do so, but in the mean time, my skills and abilities are better suited elsewhere.

If you chose the military as your career, more power to you, but don't expect me to praise you for what is essentially a career decision.

I don't recall asking for one's praise, or on behalf of anyone else for that matter, but perhaps you found some of my commentary to ambiguous. To this point, I haven't seen anyone soliciting praise, only appreciating when thanks is given. Collecting Thank You cards wasn't on my mind the day I signed up for the Marines, or the day I left. However, I would not ever consider being unappreciative and potentially insulting anyone who took the time to thank me, regardless of whether or not I thought they understood why they should or should not be thanking me. Semantics, perhaps.

Taking your comments at face value, you clearly have very little understanding the responsibilities one takes on when they take the oath to defend our nation, and the sacrifices made along with that decision. That, or you simply have callous disregard for them. It goes without saying that a lot of what makes military life so vastly different than any civilian occupation cannot be fully appreciated until one is subject to it. So I don't expect you to be armed with the knowledge necessary to make a comments that can be taken as anything more than one's opinion based merely on observation. However, I might take your opinion in higher regard had your comments been more inquisitive and less pointed, and would be willing to give your commentary better credence. But curtly dispensing your opinion as if it was fact does little to support your argument.

Again, you are absolutely entitled to feel that way. I genuinely wouldn't want your opinion changed because I was any way even remotely involved with defending your right to have it. Nor would I care to have your opinion sway to my side against your better judgement. I simply would appreciate it if someone who so strongly exercises the freedoms that have been provided to them to exercise a modicum of respect for the fact that getting in line to join the Army isn't akin to getting in line to punch your time card at the Ford plant.

Taking your comments at face value, you clearly have very little understanding the responsibilities one takes on when they take the oath to defend our nation, and the sacrifices made along with that decision. That, or you simply have callous disregard for them.

Funny, I thought they went over all that when they tried to recruit me...

http://www.marines.com/

Or did they lie to try to get me to sign? (not surprised if they did)

getting in line to join the Army isn't akin to getting in line to punch your time card at the Ford plant.

sure, the ford plant doesn't give you a free education, free room and board and free meals every day (you have to spend part/most of your paycheck on those things)

I simply take the thank you as others have stated, for volunteering to serve my country in peace and if called upon, in wartime.

Ironically, no one in my immediate family has ever thanked me for serving in the military, just complete strangers that "knew" I am former military and said thank you (it means more, too).

i came into this thread expecting to read, instead i end up staring at your sig for about 5 min straight.... well played sir.

Funny, I thought they went over all that when they tried to recruit me...

http://www.marines.com/

Or did they lie to try to get me to sign? (not surprised if they did)

Recruiters/recruiting is a whole conversation in and of itself. Would some recruiters lie or omit the truth? Yup. They're salesmen. They have quotas to meet. My experience with recruiters from all branches went from deliberate lies to blatant truth, and all points between. But like any decision, I solicited information from all angles, and resources. If one makes a significant life-impacting decision based solely on the information the salesman provides, who is the bigger fool?

sure, the ford plant doesn't give you a free education, free room and board and free meals every day (you have to spend part/most of your paycheck on those things)

You're absolutely right. Ford doesn't offer you free housing. You are free to return home each night to the home of your choosing, paid for by wages agreed upon by both your employer and your union representative. (Or perhaps you are in a private sector job that is non-union and your wages are established by the market and your negotiations during your job interview.) Nor do they give you a free education, just offer a tuition assistance or reimbursement program. Probably not nearly as good as what our service members and veterans are simply given for their service. Perhaps the next time the UAW and Ford square off on a labor dispute, the UAW can use the G.I. Bill and the job a relatively equal to one found as a member of the armed forces that they can use a leverage in negotiations. I'm sure Ford or Chevy would love to discuss the parallels between what a line foreman and platoon sergeant do, since really, they're just jobs.

Oh, and the free food! Yes! Like your fridge open all day long to chose from whatever you want, whenever you want. Oh, wait...mess hall hours are from 0500 to 0830, 1130 to 1330, and 1530 to 1730. Though admittedly some bases have really fine chow halls. Which compliments well the free housing you receive at the base of your choosing. Oh, wait...my bad. I forgot, I am on orders, not choices. Hope I like what I find when I get to my next duty station! But what difference does it make..it's all free! Just like the MREs I will get to chose from when I get to the field/deployment/combat zone. (Omelet with ham was one of my favorites, but most will disagree. Then again, I never had a discerning palate.)

One thing you forgot to mention is the duty sections they have at Ford, where every 4th week, your line is responsible for non-stop manning of security posts and things such as barracks watch or being the staff duty officer, regardless of whether there is a 96 that weekend for Thanksgiving or not.

Shit...how did I forget free medical?! Meh...our fucking president is taking care of that for everyone. Moot conversation. But the next time you feel that you need immediate medical attention, skip the ER at Cleveland Clinic and head over to the sick bay tent. There you will find (and I genuinely mean this) the most dedicated staff of medical personnel absolutely dedicated to their job as much as you are to yours of not more, but are doing so hamstrung by a congressional approved budget that often struggles to keep them supplied with even the most essential provisions. (Side note to anyone else reading this. Navy Corpsmen are the most gallant of all battlefield personnel that exists. Every one that I ever met are the most selfless of all service men and women I have had the pleasure of serving beside.)

Oh, you know what else you forgot...physical readiness. I forgot about Ford's weight, appearance and performance standards! I will have to ask my cousin who works at the Brookpark engine plant what is latest run time for 3 miles is. I hope that he wouldn't run the risk of having to do additional PT outside of his work hours that he didn't plan for.

Is there anything else here I am missing? I mean, I know I have just made the Marines sound like I spent seven years in Alcatraz and not as a Marine. I thoroughly enjoyed my time and miss it very much sometimes. But it wasn't all fun and games, it certainly wasn't a democratic or free society - and I accepted that and understood the ramifications when I signed up. Therein lies part of the sacrifice. You give back plenty of your own personal freedoms so others never have to. And I did it not for the thanks, for Christ's sake. I never boarded a C-130 for God-knows-where looking for a ticker tape parade when I got off the ramp. The most I think I ever asked for was someplace to catch a couple hours sleep and maybe a cold beer if another Marine knew where they were. It was a lot of many different things, but for goddamn sure it wasn't just a job.

But please...continue to explain to me where I am wrong. Because apparently I have somehow missed how the other half lives between my time "on the job" as a Marine, and the 14 years afterward where I have held a job or two that were so incredibly similar to my time in service that it was fucking creepy.

I didn't say it was the same, what I'm saying is there are drawbacks and incentives to both...

you've named most of them, and I think it's a fair generalization of the lives you've mentioned.

FTR I'm not unionized, and I'm still paying on my student loans from nearly a decade ago... I'm not compaining about it, I'm happy with the life I've chosen.

Your career choices are what they are, I'm just saying I don't understand this whole soldier worship culture we seem to have now.

Just don't forget, the real reason our military is all volunteer is because enough people volunteer. If there became a dire need for your profession they'd just draft you.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if the time comes that I need to serve in the military to protect my country, I'll do so without hesitation. Until that time comes, my skills and abilities are better utilized elsewhere.

My dad, uncle and grandfather were in the military. I couldn't care less about a person's motivation for joining the military/where he or she was stationed/etc. He or she made a sacrifice for our country that I haven't and therefore deserves my respect and thanks. As such, whenever I see a service member in public, I tell him or her thanks for serving. I've taught my kids to do the same. IMO, it's simply the right thing to do.

I didn't say it was the same, what I'm saying is there are drawbacks and incentives to both...

you've named most of them, and I think it's a fair generalization of the lives you've mentioned.

FTR I'm not unionized, and I'm still paying on my student loans from nearly a decade ago... I'm not compaining about it, I'm happy with the life I've chosen.

Your career choices are what they are, I'm just saying I don't understand this whole soldier worship culture we seem to have now.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if the time comes that I need to serve in the military to protect my country, I'll do so without hesitation. Until that time comes, my skills and abilities are better utilized elsewhere.

Agreed that there are drawbacks and incentives to both. But the decision to enlist comes with the severing of a person from a great deal of the culture and the liberties that go along with that culture in order to preserve it. No other occupation comes close to requiring that. Civil law enforcement comes close at times, but not as frequent and with as inconsistent in its sources of risk as military life does. Compound that by an American society that has learned from its mistakes with how they treated the folks that came home from Viet Nam, the sights of their next door neighbor reservists and national guardsmen that come home in wheelchairs or not at all, and folks appreciate those sacrifices much more.

I just have a problem with the generalization that being the military is simply an occupation, when very clearly it is not. Having a job in the military doesn't mean that being in the service itself is just a job. You leave behind a great deal of all the other aspects of life that even the most demanding civilian jobs do not impose upon.

And to your point on unions, it simply went with the analogy. I am not nor have I been in a union of any sort since I got out. We are also paying on my wife's student loans from way back, and she doesn't even do for a living what she was educated for. Life just happens that way sometimes to us all.

I will take you at your word that if called upon, be it drafted or "strongly influenced by current events by our government" that you would server without issue. But I will say with a great deal of confidence gained by experience that once your time was done, you would look back at your time spent as more than just career choice.

^ should have joined the air force :D

HAHA! Given that I ended up working on jets for my time in, the Air Force had MUCH better facilities, had much newer equipment, and had better looking women to serve beside. Then again, if I ever wanted to hook up with an Air Force chick, all I needed to do was show up in my dress blues on any Air Force base. :D The flyboys never stood a chance.

• Upvote 1

RVT, you said it better than I could have. You do get perk with it, but you also give up a ton of things most people take for granted everyday.

Military life is rough and stressful. Mine wasn't a 9-5 job by any stretch. In my section, I was always the first in and last to leave. Got called in in the middle of the night for stuff often. Soldiers got in trouble or in an accident, I was there for them. I made sure my troops ate and showered before I did, sometimes that meant I went without. That's just stateside. Deployment was a whole other story.

But to think its just a job is naive and foolish. (Well maybe the AF is, lol)

• Upvote 1