OR Group on Waze

sParkSnare

Not sure what you mean. It's a good navigator, spots traffic jams and routes around them, and great on freeways marking speed traps as well as people list debris on the road and stuff like that. The GPS will give road speed. It also marks speed cameras at intersections etc.

It won't find a restaurant or gas station or stuff.

If we used on a group ride, it would let the lost one find us, or let us find the lost one.

It will also text short messages or public broadcasts.

This would be great group rides

Not sure what you mean. It's a good navigator, spots traffic jams and routes around them, and great on freeways marking speed traps as well as people list debris on the road and stuff like that. The GPS will give road speed. It also marks speed cameras at intersections etc.

It won't find a restaurant or gas station or stuff.

If we used on a group ride, it would let the lost one find us, or let us find the lost one.

It will also text short messages or public broadcasts.

actaully it's a terrible nav guide compared to most of the others out there. it's free though. google nav doesn't have all the stuff waze does but it's way better at what it does than waze.

so is mapquest's nav app. I actually quit using the waze one due to it telling me to turn where there isn't any road at all. their maps are either out of date or just very poor. either way, it will probably get you lost at some point like it did me. I had to drive up the road and swith over to google's nav more than once. so waze I could uninstall and not miss it at all.

actaully it's a terrible nav guide compared to most of the others out there. it's free though. google nav doesn't have all the stuff waze does but it's way better at what it does than waze.

so is mapquest's nav app. I actually quit using the waze one due to it telling me to turn where there isn't any road at all. their maps are either out of date or just very poor. either way, it will probably get you lost at some point like it did me. I had to drive up the road and swith over to google's nav more than once. so waze I could uninstall and not miss it at all.

Understood. I've been alright with it, but have only used it in town and on freeways, where I knew where I was going anyway. I did notice it had a terrible time with new construction. I'll add the others and try them out.

• 1 month later...

I'm on.. to be honest though, the GPS function always takes me on a route that I would never ordinarily take if I had the time to actually look at a map and plan the best route.. anybody else have these issues? Its to the point that I would rather use my terrible iPhone Google map app for navigation even though it doesn't direct you, just because the route is usually good

****Edit******* Just saw serpentracer's post, same issues I have

The nav. portion is OK. It does learn your frequent routes but I have found it to take you interesting ways on occasion. Having said that, I really like the traffic notification and police feature. It's been super useful for that and easily makes it worth using for those features alone.

Mary

The traffic routes will vary if there is congestion on the roadways. It doesn't take much to make another route faster. Wish I was using it this week when I got stupid and got off the freeway into traffic at a standstill. Any and all GPS apps are battery hogs. I keep mine on vehicle power supply.

yah, i'm not going to leave my phone gps on. i joined, but we'll see. does it automatically turn gps on when you start moving? that'd be convenient for battery life.

That's not a bad idea. No, I haven't seen anything except manual GPS on/off. But it would have to be selective. Some apps are for walking, and would just be on all almost the time anyway.

• 11 months later...

Anyone else still using this besides me?  I still really like the police feature and traffic alerts.  Have yet to see anyone else in the OR group show up on it.