Kawi 636 - Versys - SV650/1000 - CBR1100xx

Beegreenstrings

Been looking around, but have come to the conclusion that I just don't know that much about these bikes.

Looking for daily transpo back and forth to work.

The route will most likely be rte 40 between reynoldsburg/etna area to zanesville for a while. Few years until I make management and get moved to Columbus.

So, what can I expect from each of the above.

I still have the VTX torn down in the garage, I have not counted it out yet, just tearing down and putting it back together seemed to be way more of a chore than I remember.

Any and all ideas and suggestions are welcome!

This is just a beginning idea for the time being!

Nothing will be purchased until I have my house sold and moved back to that area.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The XX is a crazy bike, only a crazy person would buy and ride one...:D

It can handle anything you throw at it, more power/torque than you will ever need for the street, a couple of minor issues with noisy CCts and things, but overall bulletproof reliability. handles 2-up without hesitation, handles corners beautifully (as long as you understand countersteering), stock banana seat is a little uncomfortable for longer rides (or so I've heard), get it over 6000 rpm and prepare to be addicted to the "hyperdrive" the torque and power curves just spike. It's heavy, and combersome to move around by hand. It's hot if you get stuck in traffic jams, or slow stop and go city traffic for long periods of time. Eats tires pretty quickly depending on how often you power wheelie or how hard you accelerate. 7-8000 is about the best i've gotten out of a rear tire before that dreaded steel snake rears it's ugly head.

fuel economy isn't great, my average is about 30 mpg on nice days, if there is a week of rainy wet roads my average jumps up to about 45 mpg.

that's been my experience of the last 3 riding seasons.

636 for commuting.... only if your commute is 20 min on a twisty road. versys would be my choice of the options presented. but would go with a tiger or multi if moneys allow

Off topic, a little, was the 636 built for a mid-skill level bike? I guess what was the use? I saw it personally for the first time yesterday and just don't get it. It's (size) is bigger than I thought it would be. But, it's a two cylinder?

I guess I don't understand?

Off topic, a little, was the 636 built for a mid-skill level bike? I guess what was the use? I saw it personally for the first time yesterday and just don't get it. It's (size) is bigger than I thought it would be. But, it's a two cylinder?

I guess I don't understand?

the 636 is an inline 4. Its a pure sport bike to compete with the 600RR, GSXR600 and R6

Its the odd ball of the group so are you sure what you're talking about is actually a 636? a 636 is just a ZX6R of the 03-06 years

I thought that's what it was? I could be mistaken, it's been known to happen from time to time?

I was wondering since they had the 250, then the 636, zx6r and then the two monsters on the end?

I honestly have no idea. I looked through the front cowling and it only had two pipes coming off the head.

Ok so I was wrong. Maybe it was that oddly placed shock? It is a 650r...

But it's listed as a twin? Not like my superhawk? Twin?

Parallel twin? So what would the power be like on it.

Also ignore my ignorance, this is the bike I was thinking of not the 636.

Edited by Beegreenstrings

I thought that's what it was? I could be mistaken, it's been known to happen from time to time?

I was wondering since they had the 250, then the 636, zx6r and then the two monsters on the end?

I honestly have no idea. I looked through the front cowling and it only had two pipes coming off the head.

650r... almost positive...

another good choice..

yea the 650r sounds more fitting to the category of the other bikes as well.

this is a 636:

2005_Kawasaki_Ninja_Zx_636.jpg

this is a 650r

Ninja_650R_front.jpg

If you're considering the XX, You might look at a VFR of similar years instead, it's like a watered down, tamed version... more more wallet friendly for commuting...

And I have considered the Vfr, the downfall would be I would keep it for nice and ride the superhawk back and forth, most likely

And I have considered the Vfr, the downfall would be I would keep it for nice and ride the superhawk back and forth, most likely

when I first bought the VFR i did the same thing (but it was my 636 that I rode more). Then I sold the 636 and realized how awesome it was and I pretty much have no problem getting that bitch dirty now, granted I just wash it every couple of weeks and it still looks new-ish

650r is going to be tamer than a vtwin or I4

decent torque though, so should be fun to play with in the corners, with ergos that would be easy to handle for longer periods of time.

to sum up, it seems you have narrowed down to a set of bikes that would suit your needs, now it's just a matter of finding a smoking deal or settling on one that suits your fancy best...