Plumber needed

20thGix

So heres a little back story.......

So it all starts with a little pipe clogage in my wash sink in the basment that my washing machine drains into. Well in my attempt to remove the pipe it ended up snapping of the wye on the 4" cast iron pipe leading to my lateral sewer line under the basement floor. So now im like fuck i guess im just going to cut out all the old cast iron pipe in the basement and replace it.

Now that i have all of that removed i notice that i my as well get the sewer pipe cleaned to the street. I finish re-plumbing the basment and get Roto-Rooter out to clean the line. So they clean it and run a camera down it and here in lies the problem. The cast iron pipe under the house needs replaced. It attaches to clay pipe to the street which he said is fine and basically looks like new. So 15' of it is under the basement with another 5' or so that extends into the yard.

He says they can excavate the basement and yard and replace the cast iron pipe for $6000. Or they can reline the pipe for $3800 without digging.

So does anyone here run/work at a plumbing buisness or can recommend another company in the Dayton area. I would like to get a couple other estimates. Or are the prices good or bad? I'm leaning towards the relining of the pipe. He said they gaurantee it for 50yrs.

I have yet to hear Roto-Rooter not give that speech. It's either that or you have a "low spot" which requires digging it up.

Sorry I cannot offer any referrals in Dayton but definitely get other estimates.

Well the house was built in 1947. I was there when they ran the camera down and when they cleaned it. When they came to clean it the 4" pipe it was down to about 1.5" - 2" with all the years of crap that built up in it. How it hadnt backed up before that was suprising.So he tried to clean it then eventually broke a blade in the pipe somewhere before the clean out. He didnt want to go any farther, packed his stuff and left. After he left i called them and told them that he did not clean all the way to the street and that i wanted to know why his blade broke and if it was still in there. So then sent a camera guy out to find out. While i looked on he showed what appeared to be a hole in the 90 deg turn then about half way down the cast iron pipe claimed that most likely the bottom of the pipe was corrodid thru draining into the ground.

He did say that before any work would be done they would bring a vacuum truck out to remove the standing water and clean the pipe again to verify the problem.

Also will another company run a camera down there just to give me an estimate without charging me $100 bucks or so? You know with out telling them that i already had Roto-Rooter do it and what they want to do. My 1 hour clogged sink is getting awful expensive. Even though i was putting off changing out the old cast iron in the basement. I'm fine with what it cost to replace all of that. I just didnt know i was going to have possible undergound pipe problems.

I have done this for a living for 14 years. get it lined. Contact Inland,renalds,or insituform. The sewer people are responsible for the tap all the way to the easement line.

Is $3700 in the realm of a reasonable price?

I had a friend in Dayton, down off Watervillette, have this same problem. Older house and the line out to the sewer was breaking down. Craziest thing the city came out and inspected the whole block and deemed it necessary that they all be replaced at full expense to the owners. They could have the city do it or hire a private company. Gave them all a year to rectify. Cost her 3-4k.