track questions...

oldschoolsdime92

I have had an extreme interest in track days lately, and have a few questions. I see there are multiple organizations that do track days. What's the difference in organizations? I would probably be going to mid ohio, as it seems to be the closest to me. It also appears that different organizations have different gear requirements. Can someone point me in the right direction on getting the ball rolling on this adventure? Thanks

http://www.midohio.com/School/Courses/Motorcycles/Performance-Track-Riding

Click requirements.

Mid-Ohio is the best track around and has a good novice program.

Ive had great experiences with Moto Series and Mid Ohio. Moto Series was a little better instructional wise but that was slightly in part of Jbot helping me out or aka OR members who are instructors willing to help. You could hit the Moto Series Putnam days which isnt too far from Dayton area.

I've only done Mid Ohio course, not moto series. So i'm leaning one way, but sure they are similar.

I've done 3 about to be 4 track days in novice. It's awesome. You learn so much about your bike but not just that. you. you go out with an open mind and get hands on experience and get tips on how to improve your skills as a rider. People say that doing track days don't improve your everyday riding on the street. I think that varies from person to person. Me, doing track days at Mid Ohio has made me more confident as a rider. Although, i'm losing interest in the street and want to do all track riding. But I'm too poor for that at the moment :lol:

When you go to the the track, ask questions! don't be scared too! The instructors are there to help. Someone posted a video on here from a person that did a track day in Marietta, Alabama. The video basically describes a track day than any of us can word.

here's the link: http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=94777

Whatever you do make sure, there is Novice instruction. My first track day they just turned us loose with no instruction. By the 4th track day I was riding by the seat of my pants in A. I had an instructor follow me as part of a race school, and he could tell I wasn't referencing anything for breaking markers or turn in points. I felt much more comfortable and got 2 seconds quicker in the remaining 2 sessions. Instruction and knowledge goes a long way out there.

Whatever you do make sure, there is Novice instruction. Instruction and knowledge goes a long way out there.

Any suggestions on which ones have instruction, and which ones just turn you loose on the track? Definitely want instructions on the first few outings.

^ what blue said.

It will be different every time though. for example, my first track day when we went over body positioning one of the instructors put his bike on a stand and we all sat on it and practiced proper body positioning going through a turn and straights. The last couple times I've gone, That didn't happen. I'm assuming it was because there were like 40 people in the entire novice group. where as the first time there was about 20 people in the entire novice group.

Mid-Ohio is a great novice experience. They have 6-7 levels of novice and basic instruction between heats. Some coaches are better than others but you'll get a quality experience either way. Halfway through the day a coach rides behind you and gives specific pointers for your areas that need improvement. I find this very helpful.

Go out and have fun. You will likely loose interest in street riding though. No gravel, deer, traffic, slick pavement paint, cops, just you and the track which really allows you to focus on markers, become smooth, and quick.

Every class they say you will walk out faster than you ever expected if you pay attention and follow the rules. This statement is true for both my track days and my 3rd one is tomorrow.

Having done novice with STT (north and south groups) and Mid-Ohio - I would have to advise you to go with STT.

The programs are very similar on the track but STT has a better class room experience. Putnam is a good first time track and easier to learn than Mid-Ohio.

Oldschool, I would join you once I can get back into my 1-pc - but its a slower process than expected :D

My boss would love to join too if we can go as a group. If I drop enough weight, and you dont mind some friendly company, let me know when you are planning on going and which track. We're about smack in between Putnam and MidO unless Bluegrass opens back up then that would be the closest option.