Coolant Boil

bowdog

Just had all fluids serviced...The other day I ran up to watch my nephews last tee ball game, only rode about 20mi but went up 256 so had some stop and go (temp never got passed 205), get to the game and hear a noise i had not heard before, look down and hear my coolant boiling. I have never had this happen and my queston is: Is this normal with new coolant?

as far as I'm aware its not normal. Did you hear the fan on at all? If not the first thing I'd check is the fan relay. 2nd would then be t-stat

I don't know if it works the same in the bike but once in a car we changed out fluids and the thermostat didn't like it and quit working

Fluids filled to proper levels, Fan did not kick on but does not until 215 so honestly i am not sure on thermostat. I will need to let bike idle to see if kicks on but always has before. Wierd thing is i road back home with same conditions and coolant did not boil on way home, could it have been that my thermostat was stuck and then freed up?

Fluids filled to proper levels, Fan did not kick on but does not until 215 so honestly i am not sure on thermostat. I will need to let bike idle to see if kicks on but always has before. Wierd thing is i road back home with same conditions and coolant did not boil on way home, could it have been that my thermostat was stuck and then freed up?

thats absolutely a possibility. If it got up to 256 I'm assuming the fan never kicked on at all. If it didn't overheat on the way home either it was due to the cooler air and more airflow (which I kind of doubt) or it was that the fan started working again so a stuck t-stat would do that.

Same issue I had on my Phoenix in the spring however mine was a burned out relay

thats absolutely a possibility. If it got up to 256 I'm assuming the fan never kicked on at all. Same issue I had on my Phoenix in the spring however mine was a burned out relay issue

I road up st rt 256 :), bike never got above 205. Ok I will have to ride when i get it back and see if it still does it. Didnt think it was normal but thought i should ask.

You are low on coolant.Let the bike set over nite and take the radiator cap off when it is cold add coolant.Coolant boils at 212 degrees and every pound raises the boiling point 3 degrees a 15 pound cap will raise the boiling point 45 degrees.you have air in the system probaly.Hope this helps,

My manual did stress that I remove the air when doing the radiator. I let it warm up and circulate, to both burp air and expand to top itself and slapped the radiator cap on quickly. Be ready to add a little as needed if it burps a lot of air out. Don't hesitate getting the cap on. Be ready for any overflow making a mess. If the fan kicks on while working, you waited too long.

edit: by now, the air is probably all trapped at the top of the radiator, and topping it off cold will probably get almost all of it. The rest will work it's way out to the overflow reservoir in a few heat-cool cycles.

Edited by ReconRat

Air in the system for sure .

I filled mine to the top,moved the bike side to side.

Filled up the reserve resovoir and let it idle till the fan came on.

As it cools it will suck from the reserve.

Let it cool all the way,open the cap and fill it to the top.

Fill the reserve to the cold line and try it.

My manual did stress that I remove the air when doing the radiator. I let it warm up and circulate, to both burp air and expand to top itself and slapped the radiator cap on quickly. Be ready to add a little as needed if it burps a lot of air out. Don't hesitate getting the cap on. Be ready for any overflow making a mess. If the fan kicks on while working, you waited too long.

edit: by now, the air is probably all trapped at the top of the radiator, and topping it off cold will probably get almost all of it. The rest will work it's way out to the overflow reservoir in a few heat-cool cycles.

Good info, thanks!!