Tire swap question

bandit12

I have never ran into this in all the years I have been riding and I've been wondering about this issue.

Would it hurt anything to run a front tire off a big bike like a 120/70-17 on the rear of a smaller bike in a like size?

I don't see what it would hurt but some tires are marked front and rear, I have see several 120/70-17 front tires for sale at a good price that would fit my kids rear in a 130/70-17. If it was a high performance bike being pushed to its limit then I'd shoot for the 1/4 inch bigger tire but its an entry level bike and I don't see what difference it would make to run the 120 series front in place of the 130 series rear.

Whats your input on this issue?

In general, reverse mount the front tire for the rear. Many tires are marked that way if the manufacturer allows. Some do not.

The reason, the way the cord is wrapped, is to resist acceleration in the rear, and resist braking in the front. It only gets wrapped one way, so if it's for both front and rear, there will be two arrows marking rotation direction on the sidewall saying which way is which.

The smaller tire in the rear will need higher pressure than what you had before. But the previous tire's max for the bike should be fine. Not the max marked on the tire.

Edited by ReconRat

I should've been a little more specific, it is a Suzuki GS 500F street bike. My kid's bike is needing a new rear tire soon and thats why I asked. He definately isn't stressing any components of this machine except the gas cap, lol.

65-70 dollar range for a 120 size compared to 115-120 range at the shop for a tire 1/4 inch wider tire, roughly 50 bucks is quite a savings.

I used to have a friend with a venders license to save me lots of cash now I'm forced to go to the stealers. Just a poor boy looking to save a buck.

We put a 120/70-17 on my friend's 250 rear, and it was hilariously quick to turn, almost dangerous in the wind.

I would not recommend it for anyone inexperienced. The profile is terrible (WAY too 'V' shaped) to be put on the rear of a bike.