The Photograpghy Thread

ScubaCinci

^^ A familiar sight ^^ 

Time to change the avatar.

BTW - I may have forgotten to mention - that oil (Rotella T6) and filter had about 200 miles on it.  But I would have done the same thing.

• 4 months later...

Tried to get a few quick pics with the DSLR of the Blood Moon this morning.  this is the best I could get.  I REALLY need to learn how to use this camera.  I read the manual but its mostly Greek to me.  I tried the custom settings but they look way worse than the automajic settings.  Any tips?

IMG_3264.jpg

IMG_3261.jpg

Went to the Strasburg railroad museum with my dad over the summer.  They run 100% steam on the passenger train which is cool.

IMG_5411.jpg

Yes these are full size trains, not models.  They are in that good of condition.

IMG_5407.jpg

The steam engine pulling into the station with the passenger cars.

IMG_5169.jpg

Tried to get a few quick pics with the DSLR of the Blood Moon this morning.  this is the best I could get.  I REALLY need to learn how to use this camera.  I read the manual but its mostly Greek to me.  I tried the custom settings but they look way worse than the automajic settings.  Any tips?

You actually didn't do too bad. Getting a good picture of the moon is harder than you would think. For as big as it looks in the sky, it is actually very small when you want to get a good picture of it. The human eye is a far more superior "camera" than most give it credit for. I took this one tonight for the fun of it so I missed the redish tints you picked up. This time of year is getting better for taking shots of it but the biggest factor that will be outside of your control is atmospheric disturbance. Pic a time and day with the least amount of wind and the smallest amount of temperature changes to reduce blur caused by the sky itself. It will help you get a more crisp image. Your also going to need some fairly large, high quality lenses to get an image like what Locel posted a few pages back. I've never been able to pull it off.

IMG_5440.jpg

I don't have any really good long range lenses so this is a 100% crop on the original. I shoot DSLR with a Cannon Rebel T1I, EF24-105mm f/4L lens.

When you take a night shot that's within the capability of your equipment and it turns out just right, it can be very cool. I took this in the spring on my ride down at the dragon. It's was roughly 10pm and was just the perfect night for it. I should have gone for just a little less flare off the windows but there is no redoing it at this point.

IMG_4764.jpg

Hey all, so we have no idea bout these DSLR camera's but we are looking to get an entry level package.  So far we're looking at the Cannon T3, yeah I know its a tad outdated and not 1080p and not as many megapix3els, but we're going from a pocket digital camera to something and not looking to drop a ton of coin.

Looks like packages are selling anywhere from 400-800 depending on what's included. 

Just looking for a few thoughts on that camera before we purchase, we'd like to have it for the fall/winter so probably getting something ordered this week.  If you have other cameras to look at please let me know.  I know the T5 and T3i are much better but also twice as much, and honestly, kid is only 1yrs old so we'll be upgrading once he starts sports in a few years anyways.

Thanks

Edit: Also looking at Nikon D3100 now.

Edited by madcat6183

Hey all, so we have no idea bout these DSLR camera's but we are looking to get an entry level package.  So far we're looking at the Cannon T3, yeah I know its a tad outdated and not 1080p and not as many megapix3els, but we're going from a pocket digital camera to something and not looking to drop a ton of coin.

Looks like packages are selling anywhere from 400-800 depending on what's included. 

Just looking for a few thoughts on that camera before we purchase, we'd like to have it for the fall/winter so probably getting something ordered this week.  If you have other cameras to look at please let me know.  I know the T5 and T3i are much better but also twice as much, and honestly, kid is only 1yrs old so we'll be upgrading once he starts sports in a few years anyways.

Thanks

Edit: Also looking at Nikon D3100 now.

Another option is one of the super zoom cameras that have come out. I have this one and am still coming to grips with all that it can do. It is an option if you don't want to go full DSLR. 24 x1200 MM opticle lens that can be digitally doubled to 2400MM. I carried around a bag full of lenses in my film days and it was a PITA. 24 to 1200 MM in one package is pretty sweet. 1080 video and macro as well. Watch this guys review and read the comments. He sold me. He is a photographer and I felt he gave an honest review. Also do a google and you tube search. Check out some of the zoom tests on you tube. Quite amazing for a package this size. Just another option to confuse you. Search Canon SX 50.

• 6 months later...

Time to bring this one back, anyone else still taking photo's? 

This is a local bald eagle nest to me, first one here is about 100 yards away shot with my 600mm through a bunch of trees and other foliage. 

11204408_10205742751064678_6148229835267

Sometimes I can get clean shots of them in air. 

11169731_10205730791445695_1871903942276

More often then not it's with power lines or trees in the way. 

11049605_10205730785845555_2463799875739

Mom and 2 of her eaglets at the nest. 

11046514_10205742756744820_7447247911821

Well, I finally bit the bullet and dropped a load of greenbacks on a new DJI Phantom 2 Vision + Quad copter drone.  Will spend a couple of days getting to know the system which is truly a professional setup. Once I get to the point of comfort with it, I will post up some videos.

Edited by myhondas
  • Upvote 1