Supreme Court upholds entire health care law

Scruit

Different. You're not required to own a car.

yeah, i never said it was the same.. but thanks anyway...

i was only responding to the part that i quoted where he said there is no enforcement for car insurance unless you get caught driving without it.

So, if I stop working and earn less than what is considered the "poverty level" will Obama buy me a car too?

(I demand the public has to pay my vehicle insurance too)

no, a car is a luxury you don't have to buy (as you keep stating)

you don't have to pay income tax if you stop earning an income...

yeah, i never said it was the same.. but thanks anyway...

i was only responding to the part that i quoted where he said there is no enforcement for car insurance unless you get caught driving without it.

Ah, mussed that. My bad

no, a car is a luxury you don't have to buy (as you keep stating)

you don't have to pay income tax if you stop earning an income...

But I would still have to pay car insurance if I own a car. The government is not going to pick up the tab just because I'm poor.

Not similar at all.

But I would still have to pay car insurance if I own a car. The government is not going to pick up the tab just because I'm poor.

Not similar at all.

actually if you make below the poverty line, you CAN get government (cash) assistance and use it to pay for your automobile insurance...

if you want to complain about "how hard it is to be successful" remember there are options... if you admire the poor for all of the free stuff they get, you can do it, too...

• Downvote 1

actually if you make below the poverty line, you CAN get government (cash) assistance and use it to pay for your automobile insurance...

You can get SOME assistance. Not full.

if you admire the poor for all of the free stuff they get, you can do it, too...

Now you're just being a troll so I won't bother

• Upvote 1

Like i said, I like most of what's in the bill, and if I were still a temp working my temp jobs I'd pay the stupid fine... I wouldn't be happy about it, but I'd do it...

unless i could get some sort of "minimum coverage" for less than $50 a month (pay less than i would for the fine) 2.5% of income

Back when a hamburger was a nickel and you could get a root beer float from the soda jerk for a couple pennies.

So it's the gov'ts fault that healthcare is $300/mo (still dunno where you got that number from), not your employers for reducing your benefits coverage? Got it.

That is what I paid at my last job that I could get health care at, way back in 2008. $40 and change/every 2 weeks. Say $100/mo. for a round number.

I got the number from the link I thoughtfully provided and will again.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...eans-for-you/#

Hit the button at the bottom after filling in the form to see what your cost is.

Here is mine:

====

Right now:If you have been unable to obtain health insurance as a result of a pre-existing medical condition, you may be able to buy it through one of the “high risk pools” the law has set up in each state through the end of 2013. But the premiums in the pools vary and can be high.

Starting in 2014:You will have the option of buying a health plan through your state's exchange with federal assistance. Based on your income, your annual premiums for that plan would be no more than $2,576 to $3,040. Your maximum out-of-pocket costs for deductibles and co-payments would be capped at 30 percent of the total cost.

Insurers can’t discriminate against you for having a pre-existing condition, and can only vary rates within a narrow range.

If you do not obtain insurance coverage by 2014 you will be assessed a tax penalty. The penalty becomes progressively greater from 2014 through 2016, when it reaches full strength. At that point, assuming your current income remains the same and your household consists of 1 uninsured adult, you would be subject to a penalty of about $695. You are exempt from the penalty if the least expensive plan option in your area exceeds eight percent of your income.

=======

Basically this means, as it stands, that I will never get another tax return/refund check. I have a new car payment every month with no increase in income, no new car and no way out either.

This is going to suck big time.

Like i said, I like most of what's in the bill, and if I were still a temp working my temp jobs I'd pay the stupid fine... I wouldn't be happy about it, but I'd do it...

unless i could get some sort of "minimum coverage" for less than $50 a month (pay less than i would for the fine) 2.5% of income

minmum coverage for your age and I'm assuming few health problems will run you no less than $100/month as of a year ago before this bill passed. Now, you're looking at $225/month

so yes, its cheaper to pay the fine and have no coverage at all

I believe I'm covered, I dump 5% of my income into a HSA every paycheck... in a couple years there should be enough in there to pay for my lasik...woot!

like a tax free savings account for something I wanted to get done anyway.

equate, no, compare yes... you must admit it is similar...

No, not similar at all. Federal government forcing by punishment a purchase of a private product, merely because you exist? That's not even in the same ballpark as automotive insurance - and for fuck's sure isn't remotely similar when it comes to the scope and limits of power as defined by a very straightforward constitution.

• Upvote 2

No, not similar at all. Federal government forcing by punishment a purchase of a private product, merely because you exist? That's not even in the same ballpark as automotive insurance - and for fuck's sure isn't remotely similar when it comes to the scope and limits of power as defined by a very straightforward constitution.

And the amateur constitutional scholars come out again.... clearly the supreme court of the united states disagrees with your assessment regarding the constitutionality of this law...

That is what I paid at my last job that I could get health care at, way back in 2008. $40 and change/every 2 weeks. Say $100/mo. for a round number.

I got the number from the link I thoughtfully provided and will again.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...eans-for-you/#

Hit the button at the bottom after filling in the form to see what your cost is.

Here is mine:

====

Right now:If you have been unable to obtain health insurance as a result of a pre-existing medical condition, you may be able to buy it through one of the “high risk pools” the law has set up in each state through the end of 2013. But the premiums in the pools vary and can be high.

Starting in 2014:You will have the option of buying a health plan through your state's exchange with federal assistance. Based on your income, your annual premiums for that plan would be no more than $2,576 to $3,040. Your maximum out-of-pocket costs for deductibles and co-payments would be capped at 30 percent of the total cost.

Insurers can’t discriminate against you for having a pre-existing condition, and can only vary rates within a narrow range.

If you do not obtain insurance coverage by 2014 you will be assessed a tax penalty. The penalty becomes progressively greater from 2014 through 2016, when it reaches full strength. At that point, assuming your current income remains the same and your household consists of 1 uninsured adult, you would be subject to a penalty of about $695. You are exempt from the penalty if the least expensive plan option in your area exceeds eight percent of your income.

=======

Basically this means, as it stands, that I will never get another tax return/refund check. I have a new car payment every month with no increase in income, no new car and no way out either.

This is going to suck big time.

I'm still not following (and your link brings up a 404-esque error this time).

If you're uninsured NOW -- then I want you to buy insurance since I'll still be footing YOUR bill for any medical issues you're involved in. Be it stubbing and breaking your toe, or getting into a car accident, or because you're fat and out of shape, or wrecking a bike while you're daydreaming about Obama being out of office in 6 more months -- unless you have some stockpile of funds that you plan on paying the hospital for your medical care.

If you don't want insurance, because you're better at life and health than statistics, then pay your 1% of your income tax -- as a single man making near $70k/yr, you can afford the $695 to keep going w/o insurance.

And the amateur constitutional scholars come out again.... clearly the supreme court of the united states disagrees with your assessment regarding the constitutionality of this law...

You do know that the supreme court has reversed it's decisions before? Just because the liberal agenda of this court decided that under tax laws the bill is constitutional does not mean the next group of old egg heads will agree.;)

I believe I'm covered, I dump 5% of my income into a HSA every paycheck... in a couple years there should be enough in there to pay for my lasik...woot!

Get ready to start dumping more. WOOT!

“This will make it much more difficult for high deductible plans to meet the minimum actuarial value standard of 60 percent,” says Ramthun. “If they can’t, these plans will either not be available, or these plans will have to raise their values by covering additional benefit expenses. This in turns means the premiums will have to be increased to cover the additional expenses, meaning HSA plans will not be as affordable as they are today.”

And they got it grossly, inconceivably wrong about imminent domain too. Political fucktards acting political. Doesn't change that in this case the idea of government superseding the states and individual rights to force you to purchase a product is so overwhelmingly anti-American that a 3rd grader could comprehend it. What's your excuse?

Oh, you want someone to pay for your needs so it's ok. Gotcha. Can you imagine how in the hands of an administration that runs counter to your way of thinking this precedent could be very bad for you? That's the real danger here. The USSC has just affirmed that the federal government can force you to do just about anything, if the perception of greater good triumphs and congress slams it through.

Have you read a single thing the Founding Fathers ever said or thought about these types of issues?

You think they fought for all this so the Federal Government could be this powerful? They BARELY ratified the constitution as it was, because of the magnitude of the Federal power. We wouldn't even have a country if any of the states could envision what happened today.

• Upvote 3

Get ready to start dumping more. WOOT!

“This will make it much more difficult for high deductible plans to meet the minimum actuarial value standard of 60 percent,” says Ramthun. “If they can’t, these plans will either not be available, or these plans will have to raise their values by covering additional benefit expenses. This in turns means the premiums will have to be increased to cover the additional expenses, meaning HSA plans will not be as affordable as they are today.”

beat me to it. HSA's will be the first thing to go from private companies

Yep. Figured that was coming. Thanks' date=' guys. :fuckingassholes:[/quote']
beat me to it. HSA's will be the first thing to go from private companies

Thanks, I'll be here all week. Try the veal, it's delicious :D

And they got it grossly, inconceivably wrong about imminent domain too. Political fucktards acting political. Doesn't change that in this case the idea of government superseding the states and individual rights to force you to purchase a product is so overwhelmingly anti-American that a 3rd grader could comprehend it. What's your excuse?

Oh, you want someone to pay for your needs so it's ok. Gotcha. Can you imagine how in the hands of an administration that runs counter to your way of thinking this precedent could be very bad for you? That's the real danger here. The USSC has just affirmed that the federal government can force you to do just about anything, if the perception of greater good triumphs and congress slams it through.

Have you read a single thing the Founding Fathers ever said or thought about these types of issues?

You think they fought for all this so the Federal Government could be this powerful? They BARELY ratified the constitution as it was, because of the magnitude of the Federal power. We wouldn't even have a country if any of the states could envision what happened today.

Need more rep.

The only queston i have is how do they handle all the illegal immigrants in this country? Really not being a smart ass just trying to figure out who pays for them? And YES i realize we are paying for them now.

Anybody with a job of course will pay for them. We can't ask for ID before treating them that would be racist! Just like we can't purge the illegals off the voter roles in Florida, and we can't all be required to show ID to vote to ensure only citizens vote. American is s racist country, but Mexico requires a voter ID card. Hmmm.