the wife wants a toy hauler

Hoblick

What I have learned from pulling trailers. Is going up the mountain is a small strain but going down the mountain is bad when your close to the weight your truck can handle. No matter how good your trailer brakes are the truck will be doing most of the braking. I have caught brakes on fire going through mounts in Cali.

Grapevine and donner are a bitch! I want no part of pulling a camper over those especially without a Jake.

Don't let your rig get rolling too fast on a big mountain, tge faster you go the harder it is to slow. As a geneal rule try not go faster down the hill than you went up. The mountains out west are streper grades and longer than we encounter out easy. Rolling down the mountain out here isn't a big deal, Utah, Oregon, Washington, and California all have some steep mountains along with a couple other states cabbage would be fun with a camper. :)

Edited by crb

37' damn, that's longer than I would want with a bumper pull. Do you have problems getting into campground?

By "bumper pull" I assume you mean not a fith wheel. The hitch receiver is mounted to the frame and does not effect the bumper. Definitley too heavy for a bumper. I don't have any problems getting around even in gas stations. Just need to allow for a little more room. Most campgrounds are acccomodating larger rigs these days, but I haven't gotten "stuck" yet. And, the longer they are the easier they are to back-up into a spot. The only problem I have had was backing into a spot that was perpendicular to the main road and the road and asphalt parking was only about 10' wide. I tried to keep off the grass (as I normally do) but gave up as I couldn't swing the front end of the truck in the narrow space. Gave up and used the grass and had no issue.

What I have learned from pulling trailers. Is going up the mountain is a small strain but going down the mountain is bad when your close to the weight your truck can handle. No matter how good your trailer brakes are the truck will be doing most of the braking. I have caught brakes on fire going through mounts in Cali.

Can't argue this. Good brakes on the trailer and a really good brake controller (again don't go cheap!) are only as good as they stay cool.

Coming back from Gettysburgh a couple years ago I accidenlty got on the Lincoln Highway over the Aleghanies and the BRP (stupid GPS :rolleyes:), that was pushing it as the grades are VERY steep. There were two passes. The first I went over and was pushing too hard. I'm sure my exhaust headers were red hot after that one! The second pass I got behind a logging truck that had pulled out in front of me at an intersection thankfully. He got on the far right of the road going up the pass doing 20-25 mph. I got behind him, kicked it down to 2nd gear and just putted up the pass behind him. No problems that time and the truck did great, just slower.

A twin turbo charged ecoboost F150 is in my future but not now. That truck I would have not problems going out west in.

BTW, don't look at the 5th wheel toy haulers. Some of those are crazy nice inside and are unbelievable. Your other half may not settle for anything else. Don't take her to an RV show like the one at the IX Center. You'll be buying a 1-ton and a 5th wheel in no time! But on the otherhand, you can write it off as a business expense...

37' damn, that's longer than I would want with a bumper pull. Do you have problems getting into campground?

The car dyno is 35+ feet long and a bumper pull. (Class V Hitch) Dyno weighs in at over 13,000 pounds. Pulls like a dream. However I am using a Diesel to pull this much weight.

I agree with Hoblick that he should just hook on to trailer and go pull it with his truck. (Trailer loaded of course). My guess is if you get a lot of use out the trailer you will eventually go Diesel.

LOW RPM Horsepower (torque) makes all the difference in pulling a heavy trailer. A gas motor truck making 300 wheel at 5000 rpm's is not going to pull near as well as a truck making 200 wheel at 1800 rpm's.

Now it would be interesting to do a small turbo on a gas V8. Keep the boost around 8 pounds to be pump gas friendly and you should be able to tow a decent amount of weight with 500 to 600 ft lbs of torque.

I forgot to mention the best part of my truck. The exhaust brake does wonders in keeping the truck from running away from the brakes while coming down the mountains.

Use the truck you have for now Hoblick. Upgrade to diesel down the road if need be.

I'm on my second travel trailer with my 2007 F150 w/ 5.4L and 3.53 gearing. Last trailer was 6,800 empty - 33' long and the new one is 7,600 empty - 37' long. Your always gonna have people insisting you need a 3/4 or 1-ton truck :nono:.

My "experience" has been, invest in a good weight distribution and sway control system. I have the Equalizer and it is very good. 18 wheelers I barely notice even going in oposite directions on 2-lane roads at 60 mph.

I have no desire to take this rig out west into the mountains, but have towed to the OBX and to Boston/Cape Cod last year w/o any problem maintaining 60-65 mph while getting 9-10 mpg :cry:. Even while passing larger rigs while climbing grades. Yes, the truck will run to 3,500 rpm while climbing some grades in 3rd gear but that's what it's supposed to do.

For the 5% of the miles I tow total for a year, I can't see spending the extra $ in payments and gas the other 95% of the time. Plus the 1/2 tons ride better (IMO).

Good rule of thumbs, take your towing capacity and buy a trailer the is 80% of that weight empty. You should also deduct for your toys since you are buying a Toy Hauler. If you buy new, expect to get 30% off of MSRP. That's a good buy. If you can get more then that's a really good deal.

Now who is this "Dyno Brian" others have referenced:confused:?

60-65 is fine, but I can promise you that if I was pulling with my F350 diesel and the same setup as you have now, you'd never see me. I could maintain the speed limit with ease and run where I normally run at 70-75 again with ease.

Again, you can pull anything WITH anything. It's just how efficient it is while doing it. Yes, the load levelers and such are to be expected when running close to max capacity. You can freakin pull 10k pounds with an F150. Wouldn't advise it, but can be done and if a weekend warrior where you pull as you mentioned, 5% of the miles a year, you probably have no issues.

We ran over 15k miles a year while racing for at least 4-5 years straight. Pulled several sized trailers. We never pulled a 37 footer, but we had some larger trailers at max capacity. If we had tried that with an F150 of today's standards, I would have been over it by the time we got back from Texas.

It isn't about bigger trucks and it certainly isn't about one ton vs half ton. What it is about is the weight of a trailer being pulled from the back of the truck. That weight and strain it causes on a truck over time will show itself sooner on a smaller capacity truck vs a larger capacity one.

Again, do what ever seems to fit your needs. If you pull to a local camp grounds or once a year through the mountains and running below the speed limit and in one gear lower to pull the hills, cool. I personally won't be doing it as I would have a larger capacity truck with a better motor running a comfortable pace up and down the mountains...

I have a V10 right now with a 17' trailer where we have it fairly medium to heavy at times depending what bikes we are hauling and where, etc. The V10 pulls fine. Can run 70-75 with no issues. However, same trailer with the Powerstroke and it is night and day. Again, the V10 doesn't have any issues, but unless you've pulled with a proper vehicle for such tasks, you cannot really ever compare as they are so different and the stress you have while pulling with an inferior truck is also something to consider.

I miss my diesel and anything I get in the future will be diesel. And I've pulled with a Tundra, F150, F250, Chevy 1500, 2500 and F350s and Chevy 3500s. Motors like 302s, 351s, V10s, Powerstrokes, Duramax, etc.,etc... There's no doubt that they all can do the same job and even be put into action with a trailer heavier than they are rated for. But, there are a few that do better than others and when the maintenance comes into play, you will see what I mean even on that part of it.

Not to mention the space and area. You need to consider that also in these fun movers, toy hauler types rigs. It all looks awesome on paper until you have to use it... As they say with building a barn or shop building. Always go bigger than you think you'll need as too often, you end up wishing you had more...

• Upvote 1

I'm on my second travel trailer with my 2007 F150 w/ 5.4L and 3.53 gearing. Last trailer was 6,800 empty - 33' long and the new one is 7,600 empty - 37' long. Your always gonna have people insisting you need a 3/4 or 1-ton truck :nono:.

My "experience" has been, invest in a good weight distribution and sway control system. I have the Equalizer and it is very good. 18 wheelers I barely notice even going in oposite directions on 2-lane roads at 60 mph.

Not going to start a peeing war here, but towing 37 with an F150 is not smart period. I don't care if you have a CDL and are considered the best towing driver in the world. They aren't made for that period. I'm going to guess you have the best weight distribution hitch and sway control money can buy, but in the end, its not all about weight and moving it around.

DtmBrian, your Dodge is also a dually I believe so towing the dyno isn't an issue, F150s aren't made in duallys lol.

I just hate seeing stuff that someday will end poorly, just take a look at the rig that wrecked this year on the way back from Daytona I believe it was, with an AMA racer in it. Airbrakes, full totoer, and trailer, I believe 7 people died, sad stuff, like I said, it's doable, but just not smart.

KTMBrian, was your friend the guy at Beaver with the new FunMover with 30 day tags, looked brand new? That thing was BAD as a mofo, I want one so bad, but definitely can't swing that and my F250 both lol.

24 foot trailer. About 9' date='000 lbs of total weight, including what's in the bed of the truck. Dude says he does alright with his Titan. I doubt I'd call him a liar. They're bad fucking trucks, especially with the locking Dana rear differential.

[img']http://www.titantalk.com/forums/attachments/titan-towing-hauling/128212d1318019854-what-kind-toy-hauler-you-towing-hauler.jpg

Again, I can find a guy pulling a 12' trailer with three bikes with a Cadillac and he says it is fine for what he does with it.

As Dyno Brian said in his post... You can pull with anything, but it is where the power is and how much RPM the motor is turning to do the same job. The guy with a 37' trailer and the F150 is killing that truck. It's working fine, but again, I slap that trailer to a Diesel and his F150 is sitting in the dust and refilling at the pump stations more than ever before. All the while pulling what he's got, but internally, the RPMs and everything he is straining along the way will have him having issues sooner than I will with the Diesel.

My rule is over 24', use a diesel. Usually, over 24' and with the width and hole that trailer punches through the air, a gas motor will have a tougher time from there up in size.

And, anyone that says they have a trailer that is "X" lbs w/o anything in it is reading the frame tag and has no real idea of what they are hauling in terms of weight. You get full water, cramming more bikes and such into the back of a trailer than you are probably supposed to and you'll be at a weight that probably would shock most. Almost 10k on that Tundra? I wouldn't...

It'll do it, like I said. But, do that with a diesel and see how easy it is and how effortlessly it does it.

Not going to start a peeing war here, but towing 37 with an F150 is not smart period. I don't care if you have a CDL and are considered the best towing driver in the world. They aren't made for that period. I'm going to guess you have the best weight distribution hitch and sway control money can buy, but in the end, its not all about weight and moving it around.

DtmBrian, your Dodge is also a dually I believe so towing the dyno isn't an issue, F150s aren't made in duallys lol.

I just hate seeing stuff that someday will end poorly, just take a look at the rig that wrecked this year on the way back from Daytona I believe it was, with an AMA racer in it. Airbrakes, full totoer, and trailer, I believe 7 people died, sad stuff, like I said, it's doable, but just not smart.

KTMBrian, was your friend the guy at Beaver with the new FunMover with 30 day tags, looked brand new? That thing was BAD as a mofo, I want one so bad, but definitely can't swing that and my F250 both lol.

Yeah, Wrobel got that thing for $30k and is a 2005, I believe. Low miles and is awesome. Has more room than a 24' total Toy Hauler would have also. He pays $300 and change a month for 15 years as RVs have the ability to get that long a term. He sold his Tundra and is going to pay double each month to pay off early once it is sold. He pays $680 a month on the Tundra...

Again, it is all what you want to do. He can haul the bikes in the back and never have to unload when he arrives late or while on the road and wants to sleep. Like my example where we just slept in the truck because it was so late at night and we had to unload the bikes to get the beds down... Works fine once in a while or when it is perfect, but in truth, doing that every time was a bust in the nuts. And, I didn't even own it!

Yeah, Wrobel got that thing for $30k and is a 2005, I believe. Low miles and is awesome. Has more room than a 24' total Toy Hauler would have also. He pays $300 and change a month for 15 years as RVs have the ability to get that long a term. He sold his Tundra and is going to pay double each month to pay off early once it is sold. He pays $680 a month on the Tundra...

Again, it is all what you want to do. He can haul the bikes in the back and never have to unload when he arrives late or while on the road and wants to sleep. Like my example where we just slept in the truck because it was so late at night and we had to unload the bikes to get the beds down... Works fine once in a while or when it is perfect, but in truth, doing that every time was a bust in the nuts. And, I didn't even own it!

Bro that thing was so nice!!!! I didn't creep it too hard like inside etc. but man. And for him it's perfect for his long hauls and having stuff with him etc. I'd love a Funmover, LOVE it, and 30K for that? Thats a STEAL. I would actually entertain something like that and sell the 250 and get a 150 again as I wouldn't have to tow much else. If I were to get a TH it would have at least a attic bed that wasn't fold down, or a seperate bed up front, I wouldn't want one with ONLY fold downs, not a chance. The 24s usually have 1 of the options I stated, but I agree, anything over 24ft, you should be using a diesel or at least a V10 or dually.

Yeah, I can tow my enclosed with my accord if I wanted, but I won't.

60-65 is fine, but I can promise you that if I was pulling with my F350 diesel and the same setup as you have now, you'd never see me. I could maintain the speed limit with ease and run where I normally run at 70-75 again with ease.

Again, you can pull anything WITH anything. It's just how efficient it is while doing it. Yes, the load levelers and such are to be expected when running close to max capacity. You can freakin pull 10k pounds with an F150. Wouldn't advise it, but can be done and if a weekend warrior where you pull as you mentioned, 5% of the miles a year, you probably have no issues.

We ran over 15k miles a year while racing for at least 4-5 years straight. Pulled several sized trailers. We never pulled a 37 footer, but we had some larger trailers at max capacity. If we had tried that with an F150 of today's standards, I would have been over it by the time we got back from Texas.

It isn't about bigger trucks and it certainly isn't about one ton vs half ton. What it is about is the weight of a trailer being pulled from the back of the truck. That weight and strain it causes on a truck over time will show itself sooner on a smaller capacity truck vs a larger capacity one.

Again, do what ever seems to fit your needs. If you pull to a local camp grounds or once a year through the mountains and running below the speed limit and in one gear lower to pull the hills, cool. I personally won't be doing it as I would have a larger capacity truck with a better motor running a comfortable pace up and down the mountains...

I have a V10 right now with a 17' trailer where we have it fairly medium to heavy at times depending what bikes we are hauling and where, etc. The V10 pulls fine. Can run 70-75 with no issues. However, same trailer with the Powerstroke and it is night and day. Again, the V10 doesn't have any issues, but unless you've pulled with a proper vehicle for such tasks, you cannot really ever compare as they are so different and the stress you have while pulling with an inferior truck is also something to consider.

I miss my diesel and anything I get in the future will be diesel. And I've pulled with a Tundra, F150, F250, Chevy 1500, 2500 and F350s and Chevy 3500s. Motors like 302s, 351s, V10s, Powerstrokes, Duramax, etc.,etc... There's no doubt that they all can do the same job and even be put into action with a trailer heavier than they are rated for. But, there are a few that do better than others and when the maintenance comes into play, you will see what I mean even on that part of it.

Not to mention the space and area. You need to consider that also in these fun movers, toy hauler types rigs. It all looks awesome on paper until you have to use it... As they say with building a barn or shop building. Always go bigger than you think you'll need as too often, you end up wishing you had more...

How bad does the V10 hurt the pocket book on fuel? I drove my wife's uncle's V10 F250, man did it guzzle the fuel.

Hob, honestly, this is about perfect for what you are looking for. 21ft BUT has a bunk that doesn't have to have anything removed to use, then also has fold downs too.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/rvs/3110376208.html

thats very similar to the one I was trying to get my Dad to buy before he decided to get his RV!

A friend of mine at work has a RV toy hauler for sale. I'm sure you can get a good deal on it, and not have to pull a heavy trailer..

Can you get some more info. I've been looking for a few years now, just need a reason to put the enclosed and TT up for sale.

Not to treadjack from Hobs, Im sure he'd be interested too.

Hit up Kiggy74 on here, he has a half ton rated toyhauler that he pulls with a Dodge half ton with a hemi. From talking to him he really doesn't have any issues and his sleeps around 4. If I were to get one the half ton rated ones would be the way to go.

Now it would be interesting to do a small turbo on a gas V8. Keep the boost around 8 pounds to be pump gas friendly and you should be able to tow a decent amount of weight with 500 to 600 ft lbs of torque.

quote]

Ecoboost? With a good tune can probably get you upwards of the 500ftlb mark. Speaking of such... not to thread jack but have you done a tune on one yet?

A twin turbo charged ecoboost F150 is in my future but not now. That truck I would have not problems going out west in.

I love mine still. It has been a great truck with good all around gas mileage but great power.

Hit up Kiggy74 on here, he has a half ton rated toyhauler that he pulls with a Dodge half ton with a hemi. From talking to him he really doesn't have any issues and his sleeps around 4. If I were to get one the half ton rated ones would be the way to go.

Yeah that's a 30K TH bumper pull, kicka** model. You could def. tow that size(Im pretty confident its a 24), with a rear slide out bed and I believe a couch/jack knife sofa slide out.

Id guess though taking more than 1 bike with that would put it over the weight limits for a titan. Actually I know it would put too much tongue weight, as he had to be close with the 1500 Dodge too.

Can you get some more info. I've been looking for a few years now, just need a reason to put the enclosed and TT up for sale.

Not to treadjack from Hobs, Im sure he'd be interested too.

Yep...I forwarded this to him.....