the wife wants a toy hauler

Hoblick

Ecoboost? With a good tune can probably get you upwards of the 500ftlb mark. Speaking of such... not to thread jack but have you done a tune on one yet?

I love mine still. It has been a great truck with good all around gas mileage but great power.

:sheepkoolaid: Do you tow with it? If so what and how does it do?

60-65 is fine, but I can promise you that if I was pulling with my F350 diesel and the same setup as you have now, you'd never see me. I could maintain the speed limit with ease and run where I normally run at 70-75 again with ease.

Again, you can pull anything WITH anything. It's just how efficient it is while doing it. Yes, the load levelers and such are to be expected when running close to max capacity. You can freakin pull 10k pounds with an F150. Wouldn't advise it, but can be done and if a weekend warrior where you pull as you mentioned, 5% of the miles a year, you probably have no issues.

We ran over 15k miles a year while racing for at least 4-5 years straight. Pulled several sized trailers. We never pulled a 37 footer, but we had some larger trailers at max capacity. If we had tried that with an F150 of today's standards, I would have been over it by the time we got back from Texas.

It isn't about bigger trucks and it certainly isn't about one ton vs half ton. What it is about is the weight of a trailer being pulled from the back of the truck. That weight and strain it causes on a truck over time will show itself sooner on a smaller capacity truck vs a larger capacity one.

Again, do what ever seems to fit your needs. If you pull to a local camp grounds or once a year through the mountains and running below the speed limit and in one gear lower to pull the hills, cool. I personally won't be doing it as I would have a larger capacity truck with a better motor running a comfortable pace up and down the mountains...

I have a V10 right now with a 17' trailer where we have it fairly medium to heavy at times depending what bikes we are hauling and where, etc. The V10 pulls fine. Can run 70-75 with no issues. However, same trailer with the Powerstroke and it is night and day. Again, the V10 doesn't have any issues, but unless you've pulled with a proper vehicle for such tasks, you cannot really ever compare as they are so different and the stress you have while pulling with an inferior truck is also something to consider.

I miss my diesel and anything I get in the future will be diesel. And I've pulled with a Tundra, F150, F250, Chevy 1500, 2500 and F350s and Chevy 3500s. Motors like 302s, 351s, V10s, Powerstrokes, Duramax, etc.,etc... There's no doubt that they all can do the same job and even be put into action with a trailer heavier than they are rated for. But, there are a few that do better than others and when the maintenance comes into play, you will see what I mean even on that part of it.

Not to mention the space and area. You need to consider that also in these fun movers, toy hauler types rigs. It all looks awesome on paper until you have to use it... As they say with building a barn or shop building. Always go bigger than you think you'll need as too often, you end up wishing you had more...

Can't argue with you. I'm sure I would be happy with a bigger truck for the +/-1,000 miles a year I tow but the other 19,000 miles would be a waist for me.

I've been towing with this truck for 4 years now w/o any adverse breakdowns (yet ;)) as a result of towing.

As Dyno Brian said in his post... You can pull with anything, but it is where the power is and how much RPM the motor is turning to do the same job. The guy with a 37' trailer and the F150 is killing that truck. It's working fine, but again, I slap that trailer to a Diesel and his F150 is sitting in the dust and refilling at the pump stations more than ever before. All the while pulling what he's got, but internally, the RPMs and everything he is straining along the way will have him having issues sooner than I will with the Diesel.

My rule is over 24', use a diesel. Usually, over 24' and with the width and hole that trailer punches through the air, a gas motor will have a tougher time from there up in size.

I run down the road doing 60 mph @ 2200 RPM out of OD. Normally my truck runs around 1750 RPM @ 60 mph in OD and not towing. Will climb to 3500 RPM when pulling a long grade if I want maintain 60 mph. I don't agree that I'm killing the truck. I use it as a commuter truck 95% of the time hauling nothing but myself around :rolleyes:. The service I'm using the truck for in not nearly as severe as others use a truck.

BTW, I've passed plenty of diesels pulling grade with 5th wheels that can't do more than 45 mph during my travels. Not picking on them, just my observation.

A diesel is not for me (not that I wouldn't want one!), but a twin turbo-charged 6 cylinder producing 420 lb.-ft of torque at 2500 RPM, absolutely.

One I was looking at was 4000lbs empty

Don't fall for those numbers. Typically the "empty weight" means without propane tanks (even empty ones!), bedding, etc., etc.

Don't get into the "you can beef up your truck" BS. The problem is usually less of how much can it pull, but rather how much can it control safely during an emergency maneuver.

For example, a few years back we bought a horse camper. Salesman said that our 3/4 ton could pull it easily. He was right, it pulled it easily but the truck was overloaded without horses or water. We ended up buying a 1 ton truck too :eek:

Toy haulers are heavy. They have to be built that way to haul the load. You don't really want to haul one from here to Colorado holding your breath and worrying about every passing truck or breeze.

Yes, you will need a weight distributing hitch unless you buy a 5th wheel. That still won't work magic.

Ken

Don't fall for those numbers. Typically the "empty weight" means without propane tanks (even empty ones!), bedding, etc., etc.

Don't get into the "you can beef up your truck" BS. The problem is usually less of how much can it pull, but rather how much can it control safely during an emergency maneuver.

For example, a few years back we bought a horse camper. Salesman said that our 3/4 ton could pull it easily. He was right, it pulled it easily but the truck was overloaded without horses or water. We ended up buying a 1 ton truck too :eek:

Toy haulers are heavy. They have to be built that way to haul the load. You don't really want to haul one from here to Colorado holding your breath and worrying about every passing truck or breeze.

Yes, you will need a weight distributing hitch unless you buy a 5th wheel. That still won't work magic.

Ken

I am going to assume your 3/4 ton was a single rear wheel, and the 1 ton is a dually. I really wouldnt think the 3/4 would handle the load much different than a 1 ton unless one was a dually. I was looking at duallies today online, and the only new one you can get with a manual transmission is the dodge. What happened to manual transmissions?

Can't beef up GVWR or GCWR, the sticker is the sticker. Some states supposedly will or can ticket non commercial vehicles for being over weight. Can't confirm this, but I read many reports of it while researching campers over the last year or so.

I am going to assume your 3/4 ton was a single rear wheel, and the 1 ton is a dually. I really wouldnt think the 3/4 would handle the load much different than a 1 ton unless one was a dually. I was looking at duallies today online, and the only new one you can get with a manual transmission is the dodge. What happened to manual transmissions?

Can't beef up GVWR or GCWR, the sticker is the sticker. Some states supposedly will or can ticket non commercial vehicles for being over weight. Can't confirm this, but I read many reports of it while researching campers over the last year or so.

Yes, the 1 ton is a dually.

Thing was, the 3/4 ton was about 300# overweight on the rear axle (no horses or water). Even on gentle expressway curves, we could feel the rear sway a bit. The 1 ton dually is 100% solid, no sway. But it's got 4 rear tires to take the weight rather than just two.

A good example of why it is important not to overload: Years ago we were going down to WVa to look for places to horse camp. We did not have a trailer with us. We came around a curve on the long I-64 7% downgrade and there was a semi with cab pulled off to the shoulder but the rear of the trailer blocking the right hand lane. We were in the midst of several other semis jockeying to change lanes. Not a situation where you want to have an overloaded trailer wagging the truck!

As I said, it's not "how much can the truck pull?" but rather how much can the truck handle in an emergency?

As for "why no manual trannies" on 1 ton pickups? Probably because the automatics hold up better and that's what most buyers want.

Ken

Yes, the 1 ton is a dually.

Thing was, the 3/4 ton was about 300# overweight on the rear axle (no horses or water). Even on gentle expressway curves, we could feel the rear sway a bit. The 1 ton dually is 100% solid, no sway. But it's got 4 rear tires to take the weight rather than just two.

A good example of why it is important not to overload: Years ago we were going down to WVa to look for places to horse camp. We did not have a trailer with us. We came around a curve on the long I-64 7% downgrade and there was a semi with cab pulled off to the shoulder but the rear of the trailer blocking the right hand lane. We were in the midst of several other semis jockeying to change lanes. Not a situation where you want to have an overloaded trailer wagging the truck!

As I said, it's not "how much can the truck pull?" but rather how much can the truck handle in an emergency?

As for "why no manual trannies" on 1 ton pickups? Probably because the automatics hold up better and that's what most buyers want.

Ken

THAT sounds like it could've been a hairy, scary situation. I would definitely buy for necessity and braking moreso than mpg's and strain on the vehicle.

And you are right on, the automatics are becoming extremely popular in the 1-ton and up diesel world due to their tolerance of heavy torque and ease of use.

Class 8 trucks have been adopting the Allison 3000 series auto's in the last few years with great results, makes it easier on the driver in town as well as better fuel mileage. With the right diff ratio under it, the new Freightliner Cascadia can boast an avg 7-8 mpg at full load - unheard of a decade ago.

Actually most class 8 autos are actually semiautomatic or automated and they are eaton or meritor. You will see allisons in.school busses, firetrucks, trash trucks, concrete mixers, etc.

I like my standard transmission in the semi I guess I'm old school. The automatic transmission seem to have a lot more issues in semis than my standard.

I've been hearing more owner operators talking 8-9 mpg almost 10 even. Several factors contribute to.higher mph slowing down, proper gearing, low rolling resistance tires, progressive shifting. The automatic transmissions in class 8 trucks get better mpg with news, but if you shift properly the mpg difference is negligible.

I've been noticing less manual transmissions across the board cars, trucks, and even semis. I guess people can't hold the phone to their ear and shift. :dunno:

Edited by crb

Actually most class 8 autos are actually semiautomatic or automated and they are eaton or meritor. You will see allisons in.school busses, firetrucks, trash trucks, concrete mixers, etc.

I like my standard transmission in the semi I guess I'm old school. The automatic transmission seem to have a lot more issues in semis than my standard.

I've been noticing less manual transmissions across the board cars, trucks, and even semis. I guess people can't hold the phone to their ear and shift. :dunno:

We see a ton of trucks with the Allisons, mostly business class (city equip), bus, and rv's. And your right, class 8's run the autoshifts (Freedomline and Eatons) as I failed to specify but full auto is in the works for newer age sleepers/daycabs and will surely dominate the market eventually. These new hybrids are freakshows but could prove their worth too, just odd to see a huge generator-style setup on a semi:eek:

Ohio now has the "hands free" law on cel use for truckers, so they shouldnt even have a phone in their hand anymore - but I still see out-of-staters talking to their palms:nono:

Edited by Hellmutt
hands free

We see a ton of trucks with the Allisons, mostly business class (city equip), bus, and rv's. And your right, class 8's run the autoshifts (Freedomline and Eatons) as I failed to specify but full auto is in the works for newer age sleepers/daycabs and will surely dominate the market eventually. These new hybrids are freakshows but could prove their worth too, just odd to see a huge generator-style setup on a semi:eek:

Ohio now has the "hands free" law on cel use for truckers, so they shouldnt even have a phone in their hand anymore - but I still see out-of-staters talking to their palms:nono:

There is s federal law against hand held use of a cell phone in a Interstate regulated truck or s truck hauling hazmat, up to $2,750 five for the first offense. 2nd offense is another five and license suspension. Companies that "allow" their drivers to use electronic devices could be fined over $13K.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/about/other/faq/cellphone-ban-faqs.aspx

Another advantage of an auto tranny for hauling an RV, etc. trailer is for backing up. You can go slowly with an auto. The F250 we had, I had to either slip the clutch backing up :( or put it in 4wd-low range in order to backup at a controllable speed.

Ken

Ken

I know of some Ford 1-ton diesels with 6-speed manuals with 400k on the original tranny. Never seen an auto with those kinds of miles. These trucks regularly pull heavy equipment on heavy fifth wheel trailers.

I know of some Ford 1-ton diesels with 6-speed manuals with 400k on the original tranny. Never seen an auto with those kinds of miles. These trucks regularly pull heavy equipment on heavy fifth wheel trailers.

I can 2nd this as I've got about 3 out back with 300k on each original trans, one being a dump truck :)

I run down the road doing 60 mph @ 2200 RPM out of OD. Normally my truck runs around 1750 RPM @ 60 mph in OD and not towing. Will climb to 3500 RPM when pulling a long grade if I want maintain 60 mph. I don't agree that I'm killing the truck. I use it as a commuter truck 95% of the time hauling nothing but myself around :rolleyes:. The service I'm using the truck for in not nearly as severe as others use a truck.

BTW, I've passed plenty of diesels pulling grade with 5th wheels that can't do more than 45 mph during my travels. Not picking on them, just my observation.

A diesel is not for me (not that I wouldn't want one!), but a twin turbo-charged 6 cylinder producing 420 lb.-ft of torque at 2500 RPM, absolutely.

I'm not gonna argue with you. Obviously, you don't drive much and tow even less. Diesel pulling your 37' is a much better choice. Not a 150. You can get away with anything.

As for your analogy passing diesels, I passed a Porsche 911 in a curve on the freeway posted at 55mph and was doing 80. Does that mean my FJ Cruiser is a sports car? I drove a 83' nose to tail Volvo Showhauler with trailer running 70-80 through the mountains going to GA. Not sure what medal that gets me.

Point is weight and strain. Torque and where it is and when it is most used, etc. your truck ain't the right choice with a 37' trailer.

Oh, good to see someone else commenting on the fact that TH are freakin heavy.