Hugging a cop causes gun to go off?

idodishez

Duty rig or no, what holster would allow trigger access? Even if by some chance it wasn't holstered at all, I fail to see how the trigger got pulled unless her hands were getting frisky and in his pockets.

Doorfront Parking like a BOSS

NoBama 2012

image_preview-28.jpeg

Duty rig or no, what holster would allow trigger access? Even if by some chance it wasn't holstered at all, I fail to see how the trigger got pulled unless her hands were getting frisky and in his pockets.

Doorfront Parking like a BOSS

NoBama 2012

My pic didn't show up on my previous post.

wallet.jpg

It was an M&P, and it was in a inside the waist neoprene holster. They are still trying to figure out how it got turned to hit her in the chest. Must be lots more to the story.

Striker fired concealment weapons make me nervous, especially knowing I've got kids around all the time. This is a perfect example why.

One of our officers was shot in the calf with his own duty weapon while it was in the holster. It was an M&P 40. According to him (and 6 witnesses), he was unloading his cruiser at the sub after his shift and as he bent down to pick up his bags off of the ground, he bumped his holster with his arm. The witnesses stated that the gun then discharged from inside of the holster EDIT - SHOOTING HIM IN THE CALF.

Our ordinance department then stated that with the M&P, if you begin to pull the trigger but don't fire the weapon, the internals will remain in the position of the farthest position of trigger pull even when the trigger is released. They informed us that if you begin to pull the trigger but disengage, we are to unload the weapon including the one in the chamber, then reload. This will reset the internals.

Our ordinance department still called bullshit on the circumstances and could never duplicate the incident in a controlled environment. However, they said it is possible.

As a side note, when we first got the M&P, we (along with several other departments) had an issue with Blackhawk holsters. They originally had a long trigger guard and as you placed the gun into the holster, the trigger guard could get onto the trigger and depress it causing an accidental discharge.

Edited by FZRMatt

There is definitely more to the story than we are all imagining in ours heads. I am picturing two adults standing up, the female behind the male officer, placing her arms around his waist and the gun firing and the bullet hitting her chest.

Could it have been a ricochet from concrete? Although a bullet bouncing at almost 180deg is going to have very little juice left...

Was it more of a wrestling situation, or did the officer bend over away from the female (causing his IWB to cant towards the rear approaching horizontal?

What is the point of that holster? might as well just drop it in your pocket with out a holster?

Originally this type of holster was made to carry a revolver in a front pants pocket w/o the gun printing. The better ones are made out of leather w/ the rough side out, so it doesn't move around while in the pocket (so it's always is in the same position, more or less, to draw). Although the pics above don't look like it, many don't enclose the muzzle - so you don't draw the gun out of the holster, you just pull the whole thing out of your pocket and start squeezing the trigger.

My dad was an old school LEO and carried his Airweight like this for many, many years when off duty. So long as nothing else is ever put in the same pocket, it's a very safe and effective way to carry concealed.

One of our officers was shot in the calf with his own duty weapon while it was in the holster. It was an M&P 40. According to him (and 6 witnesses), he was unloading his cruiser at the sub after his shift and as he bent down to pick up his bags off of the ground, he bumped his holster with his arm. The witnesses stated that the gun then discharged from inside of the holster EDIT - SHOOTING HIM IN THE CALF.

Our ordinance department then stated that with the M&P, if you begin to pull the trigger but don't fire the weapon, the internals will remain in the position of the farthest position of trigger pull even when the trigger is released. They informed us that if you begin to pull the trigger but disengage, we are to unload the weapon including the one in the chamber, then reload. This will reset the internals.

Our ordinance department still called bullshit on the circumstances and could never duplicate the incident in a controlled environment. However, they said it is possible.

As a side note, when we first got the M&P, we (along with several other departments) had an issue with Blackhawk holsters. They originally had a long trigger guard and as you placed the gun into the holster, the trigger guard could get onto the trigger and depress it causing an accidental discharge.

Interesting insight, indeed.

Bersa 380..... Aimed at the Englishman's junk.

+rep!

The plot thickens, the victim was on her knees in front of the cop when the gun discharged. Sounds like it was a fun party, ashamed there was dumbass cop their who was armed and likely drunk. You'd think a breathalizer would be SOP in the case of an accidental shooting.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/07/daniel-zimmerman/detroit-pd-shooting-story-continues-unravel/

So not a hug from behind but a blow from the front? I think there is a detroit LEO with a short future in law enforcement.

this is why i subscribed... i knew this story would get more interesting...

so what exactly was she doing when your gun "discharged"? Uhm, she was showing me some affection.... so she was giving you a hug? yeah... that's what she was doing...

:D

So not a hug from behind but a blow from the front? I think there is a detroit LEO with a short future in law enforcement.

don't think he will get the standard cop screwup 2 week paid vacation and slap on the wrist?