Do it yourself Tank Grips

DAC

So, I was in Iron Pony a couple weeks back and couldn't bring myself to spring for the StompGrips. $50 for a piece of dimpled plastic. Bought a tank bag instead.

I saw some vinyl shelf liner at Lowe's. Figured $7 was better if I have to cut 'em myself anyway.

Question is, what adhesive do I use? Need spray on stuff that will stick, take the heat but still peel off easily later on.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I've used photo mounting spray and Elmer's craft-bond for similar applications. DO NOT use a high strength spray adhesive like 3M Super 77 or Super 90. Whatever adhesive you decide to use, test it on an inconspicuous area. I can't guarantee that it won't damage/remove your paint.

It'll work for a short period. Then, it's gonna roll, it's gonna get glue shit all over your suit, etc.

Just buy the real deal, man. It's cool you wanna DIY, but in this case, it ain't gonna stand up and work as well which is key. If it doesn't work, might as well put a White Snake decal on it as it will be as effective.

screw these guys. try it! if it doesn't work, you can flick the boogers at em!

Did try it - looks okay. Will post a pic later. Booger flicking to follow.

So here's the result. I don't like the shape so we'll do a different version that conforms more with the tank.

My kid got a little fancy with the exacto knife and wanted to put a VFR logo on it.

P1000312-1.jpg

P1000311-1.jpg

So here's the result. I don't like the shape so we'll do a different version that conforms more with the tank.

My kid got a little fancy with the exacto knife and wanted to put a VFR logo on it.

P1000312-1.jpg

P1000311-1.jpg

Not a bad first try at it, but if you are using my idea with the headliner spray adhesive you will surely have better results if you cover the entire notched area of the tank that your knee can have contact with - that way the protective pad will less likely to move or "smear" from the glued area since it would have a much larger bond to the tank sides.

Nice ride by the way!

I might still try the headliner spray. The auto parts guys sort of steered me away from it because of the distallates in the spray. Later on I thought that, hell, Original Bike Spirits has petroleum distallates in it. So how bad could it be. I'll just try it on a small area next time.

Thanks.