Speeding ticket

demitrix

So I know these threads pop up all the time on every forum across the internet. Last night I got pulled over in the cage for 66 in a 55. The officer although very nice did write me a ticket. I'm not trying to say I don't deserve the ticket, I broke the law and got what I deserved. My question is would it be worth my time to try to at least get the charges lowered if not dropped. The only charge on my record is a no seat belt ticket almost a year ago. If I do take it to court how should I approach the situation to try to get a better deal worked out.

I would go and try to get the points taken off. Lets face it, if it happens again

in a year or two. The your insurance will go up for sure if it doesn't this time.

I always go. Not saying I do no wrong. If I get a ticket I was in the wrong.

But usually you can get the points removed.

And then I've been out of town, but still in Ohio.

And I went to that one (many many years ago) and that

judge just wasn't letting anyone off. I would have had to go back a few times

and then it wasn't a sure thing to get the points removed. So I just had to

take it then.

inspect the ticket first, make sure all the information written is the correct information. If anything on the ticket is incorrect (and you can prove it) then you can get it thrown out.

if not, you're probably better off just paying the waiver than taking time off work...

up to you

IMO its ALWAYS worth it to fight the ticket. if they want your money, make them work for it.

This

In the past i always just paid.

But the last ticket on the bike i got i went to court and just requested to have the charges lowered. Being the record i had they would only drop 1 charge. 2 charges total (turn signal, speeding).

If you have a clean record changes are you can get it dropped to a non moving violation. In the end depends on the prosecutor

Depending on the county, you may be eligible for a "points aversion program". You pay a third party on line to view a presentation that takes a couple days I believe. Once completed, you present a printed certificate of some sort to the county and pay their fine as well, but the end result is a no points entry on your record. I'll ask a coworker who went through this last year for costs and amount of time it took him to watch the presentation.

inspect the ticket first, make sure all the information written is the correct information. If anything on the ticket is incorrect (and you can prove it) then you can get it thrown out.

If anything is wrong on the ticket, and you can prove it, then they will amend the ticket, or dismiss and re-file. "My car is a Mercury, not a Ford!" doesn't make any difference.

About the only way you're gonna get off with a ticket error is if you can get the officer to testify to the incorrect info and you can prove it false. If the time/date are wrong and you have a rock solid alibi for the stated time/date, maybe. Don't be surprised when the officer/prosecutor responds with; "Oh, you were out of state that day? huh. Well the tickets written immediately before and after that are 10 minutes apart and they are in THIS time-range. Looks like the 7 was actually a badly written '1'. We're going to amend the time/date for that."

The only other way I can think is if they write the wrong charge code on the ticket. You get pulled for speeding and the charge code written down actually refers to "Passing a stopped school bus". It'd be fun watching the officer vapor lock trying to remember you passing a non-existent school bus - right up until he says; "No, I remember you, you were speeding - i just wrote the wrong charge code down. We will dismiss and refile."

Try to take traffic school to get the points off.

I've done it...

maybe it doesn't work in your big city courts, but here, if all you have is the officer's word, and you can prove his information is incorrect, the judge will toss them.

Judge can do whatever he wants and can toss it for any reason he sees fit, even if he just wants to give you a break. But just because info might be incorrect doesn't mean its going to be tossed. I'm not saying not to fight any charge you want to, that's your right.

I got a speeding ticket in Indiana last weekend. They have an Infraction Deferral Program which allows me to pay a fine and sign a contract. If I do not get any more moving violations for 6 months the points never go on my license and the ticket disappears. If I do get another ticket in that time frame I have to pay for the ticket and the points go on my record. I just have to drive back to sign the paper but is completely worth it.

Look at the officers name on the ticket. Call his department and find out his schedule. Try to get a court date on his day off. Cop no show ticket thrown out. It's worked for me a few times in Columbus. In smaller areas like pickerington not so much.

Look at the officers name on the ticket. Call his department and find out his schedule. Try to get a court date on his day off. Cop no show ticket thrown out. It's worked for me a few times in Columbus. In smaller areas like pickerington not so much.

While you are at it, ask the department for his bank account number then you can withdraw all his money and he won't be able to afford gas to get to the hearing.