Joe Paterno's statue.

Tonik

The next good call should be that Penn State gets to sit this season and hopefully next season out in NCAA football.

The disease there is systemic and it's infected every level of Penn State sports that is connected to or benefits from the football program. The best thing to do to ensure that both the victims have justice and the University learns from and properly corrects this crime is to burn the whole thing down and rebuild.

• Upvote 1

The next good call should be that Penn State gets to sit this season and hopefully next season out in NCAA football.

The disease there is systemic and it's infected every level of Penn State sports that is connected to or benefits from the football program. The best thing to do to ensure that both the victims have justice and the University learns from and properly corrects this crime is to burn the whole thing down and rebuild.

CNN is reporting that the NCAA is going to cream them tomorrow. Not a death penalty but long term harsh sanctions that will cripple them for years.

For those of you upset that they took down Paterno's statue just look the other way and pretend it's not happening.
Perhaps they could take it to a prison and drill a glory hole into it and when the inmates feel the need for some loving they can go give it to Joe.

NCAA sanctions are in.

1) $60 million from PSU to go towards sexual abuse victim advocacy ($60 mil = gross revenues for one season of PSU football);

2) No post-season or bowl games for four years;

3) Reduction in scholarships from 25 to 15;

4) athletes at PSU can transfer and still immediately compete at any other program;

5) 1998-2011 records vacated;

6) Five years probation;

7) Various athletics & academics monitoring systems to be implemented.

Personally, I think it's a good start, but it should have been a 1 year football suspension THEN this. I'm especially peeved people are making such a big deal out of the vacating of wins, all it's doing is just giving a big FU to the Paterno legacy, notwithstanding that he still played and won those games. Nice to see that the NCAA is giving the players (whom are innocent in all this) a way out without penalty to continue playing.

Why punish the players??? Take down the statue punish the coaches not the kids.

while I agree that the administration and not the students should have been the focus of any/all sanctions, I also understand that the students are going to be collateral damage here.

Frankly, they should be outraged. If they're that outraged, they should transfer or withdraw from Penn State. But it's not fair to misplace the outrage against the NCAA.

As unfair as it is to punish the students for the administration's inaction, it would be far far more unfair to minimize the gravity of Sandusky's offenses and the subsequent coverup.

I'd rather 'punish' the innocent PSU students with some football sanctions than have to look the abuse victims in the eye and say, "well we didn't want to punish the students."

I'm interested to hear what the victims would have thought was a fair sanction. I presume many of them grew up as Penn State football fans. This was probably the last thing they wanted to happen.