2012 zx10r first thoughts

cOoTeR

I've got about 950ish miles on my 2012 zx10 and here's my thoughts on it. The ergonomics are ok but a better seat for my boney ass is needed. All the electronics are pretty cool. I haven't changed the settings on the traction control (tc) or power modes yet. The TC is set at 2 right in the middle and I have it at full power. The gauges are cool and it has the option of a race mode where the gear indicator takes up most of the screen and mph replace the clock. It also has a stopwatch style timer so you can have a pretty close idea for your lap times and overall time. I use it to time segments of my ride to work sometimes. It also has an option to display the amount of gallons you've used so you don't have to wait for the gas light. It will also tell you your current and average mpg's along with engine temp or intake air temp.. The 600mile recommended break-in sucked knowing how much power you were missing out on keeping it under 6000rpms out of the 13,500 it has until the rev limiter. For driving around its great but from a stand still the gearing is too tall for super fast take offs without doing a drag race style launch. (which I can't do). But at 4,000rpms it comes to life and takes off like a liter bike should. Then around 5-6,000rpms the front tire starts to come up and you gotta hold on or it feels like its going to leave you behind floating in the air like the willey coyote. And at 8,000rpms the TC kicks in slightly to smoothly lower the front wheel without slowing you down. It keeps accelerating like a demon fleeing from hell upto to 12,000rpms which is where I let off the throttle because its a little above the legal speedlimit of any place I know of. The steering dampner is a little weak and it'll get a little wobbly when the front tire comes down if your holding on too tight. (which feels necessary to stay on the bike under hard acceleration). When you get the bike in the twisties its a blast and handles awesome. With a curb weight of 437 lbs it feels super light and nimble. I still haven't gotten confident enough in the TC to realy punch the throttle on corner exits but I can say I can give it more throttle coming out of the corners than any other liter bike I've been on. The US models have been restricted significantly down to around 168hp. Since that's not enough I'm planning on getting the ecu reflashed by Don Guhl which should bump the Hp up about 20hp and move the rev limiter to 14,000rpms among other things. But this bike is scary fast and light but very manageable. The TC is very helpful and non-intrusive and can be turned off if you wanna wheelie around or do sweet burnouts.

I'd love to rape your bike.

It's for this reason I keep the exhaust hot when out in public. It's not much of a deterrent but the scars around the crotch region seal the case when it comes to collecting the child support from the bike rapists.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...