Battery changing, but diff model, ok to use?

velnarah

I need to replace my battery and walked out of Advance Autoparts with a battery that the girl picked out for me, my bike is old and nearly everything for it needs to be ordered because of that... so the specific model number for my battery is not most places you'd go to buy a battery.

It looks identical, the positive and negative are on the same side as my old one the only difference I see is the drain is on the left in the new one, my old one has it on the right.

Posting some pics, can anyone tell me if it's ok for me to use this new battery? Is there any specific info I need to verify like power output, or cold crank, or anything I can't think of? thanks!

IMG_7142.jpg

IMG_7143.jpg

Yes but, even the AutoZone website says that's not an exact fit. It's just the reversed drain tube. But it should work anyway, if the drain tube location doesn't interfere with install, and if you can get the drain tube routed ok.

Correct battery from Amazon - $48.72

http://www.amazon.com/Yuasa-YUAM221L2-YB10L-B2-Battery/dp/B00317055O

Parts Unlimited also sells one - $48.98

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Unlimited-Heavy-Duty-Battery/dp/B0041Q60VW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_3

If memory serves correctly (it's been 10 years since I sold moto batteries), the 10L is the group number that describes fitment and application. The -A2 and -B2 must differentiate between sub-models. In this case, vent location seems to be the difference. Once again, not going to be an issue for using the battery, just different cosmetically. Some bikes may have a very tight fit for the battery and might require the specific location for the drain?

Yes, basic types. Even googled some that are probably bootleg manufacturing with odd type markings. Have to wonder what is real anymore...

It could even be an improvement in drain location. You never know...

I've had it happen before when buying batteries. I didn't care about the drain location as long as it fit and I could hook up the drain.

Not hooking up the drain results in acid on bike and the paint comes off and it rusts.

Reversed terminals, that's another story. Not a good idea.

wow ok so the girl seems to have given me good advice with this. I haven't tried installing it yet I will in a day or two when I have time again. With my schedule I don't get much done on the days that I have to work.

I have to put the fluids in this battery myself so I'll hold off on that too until I see how it works out with the drain on the left instead of the right. Thanks for the input everyone!

(sorry for double post)

I want to share a few pics of the new battery and see what you guys think.

So the new battery is not the exact same model as the old. Same size, Positive and Negative on same side but the drain is on different side.

This is what it looks like when I route the drain with the new battery in place, do you think it will be ok? And if it will be ok, which way would you route the drain?

In the first version I've routed it towards the front. In the second I've routed it towards the back.

frontroute.jpg

backroute.jpg

Thanks.

What you call over-thinking I call unfamiliarity with what's safe, what's not. What works and what doesn't. I don't mess with this sort of stuff ...like ever. So I dunno if I don't ask. I want to be sure what I'm doing wont be bad because I want to sell my bike.