new car audio theft technique?

Gixxus Christ!

I got in my car today to find that the faceplate had been stolen from my stereo. They didn't even try to remove the head unit, didn't take the sub and amp out of my trunk, just lifted the faceplate. A friend of mine who is a cop told me they do this so that you will do the rest of the work for them, take the useless radio out and toss it, then they come back and sift through your trash. Anyone else heard of this?

Nope, But maybe they didn't need the whole unit, as they stole a whole unit from someone else who thought "if I take my face plate, the rest is worthless"

buy a faceplate off ebay, at least with pioneer they claim the face plates aren't interchangeable,(even if they are the same model) but I know for a fact that they are.

Edited by magley64

Magley, that is extremely unlikely, as with the faceplate removed you can't tell what brand the stereo even is. Even if he did know, he'd have to go check every car he saw until he found the matching faceplate. Far more likely that he either got spooked in the middle of the job, is planning on coming back and stealing the rest another night, or is waiting for me to throw the stereo away.

My doofus younger brother got my old car with about $800 worth of audio equipment that I put in it and apparently never bothers to lock his doors cause "there's nothing worth taking in it" and someone ripped the head unit out and stole the amp from the trunk about a month ago. Its not my car anymore, but it still pisses me off. Naturally I took the sub that they apparently couldn't lift since he didn't need it anymore.

Sucks man.

i had an ok head unit ganked. then put in a junk yard unit with a faceplate from the same brand, but not same model apparently. none of the buttons did what they were supposed to. "volume up" went to the "super bass" menu, and all sorts of weird crap. it played music though.

then that one got stolen. i hate dayton.

This sucks Sam. Fuck a damn thief right in the face with the working end of a shotgun:mad: Maybe they were idiots and couldnt figure out how to pluck the unit so they nabbed your faceplate out of spite?:dunno:

Thieves steal old batteries out of cars. Who would want an old battery! No one...but now they absolutely know who's buying a brand new one. They come back a few days later for their new battery.

I don't think the faceplate was stolen in the hopes that you'd throw the old head in the trash. Massive long-shot, to be polite. My first thought was that your face plate matched one that they were missing. They were already in your car - how long would it really take to get the whole thing.:confused:

Could be just somebody fuckin' with you, too.

Sucks to hear. I'm rocking the stock am/FM cassette player in my car. Haha

Same here except my tape player has a Pantera tape suck in it. So all I have is am/fm and a annoying clicking noise when I first start my car. Been there done that with the stereos. Seems like its just a matter of time before someone steals it.

haha, I backed out of the driveway one night, and my passenger said "go back". They had seen somebody back in the dark at the hood of my dead van. They were trying to take the battery. Nope, the battery was inside with a charger. Bad part was I recognized him, walking away. Escaped between the houses and cut over to another block. I figured he wouldn't be back after that.

Did lose a stereo at a bar one night. Saw them take off with it, in a yellow VW bug. Crap.

edit: Theft by thieves should have no rights if you decide to take from them. That should be surrendered de facto to the crime, so that if you catch them you can take everything they have. Sounds fair to me.

Edited by ReconRat

Thieves steal old batteries out of cars. Who would want an old battery! No one...but now they absolutely know who's buying a brand new one. They come back a few days later for their new battery.

I don't think the faceplate was stolen in the hopes that you'd throw the old head in the trash. Massive long-shot, to be polite. My first thought was that your face plate matched one that they were missing. They were already in your car - how long would it really take to get the whole thing.:confused:

Could be just somebody fuckin' with you, too.

I remember the battery being stolen out of our Chevy panel truck once, when I was a child...

My Dad replaced the battery and puttied a couple of razor blades--either side of the hood latch. A couple of weeks later, or so, it 'looked' like someone tried it again, but left without the battery. ;)

• Upvote 1

I remember the battery being stolen out of our Chevy panel truck once, when I was a child...

My Dad replaced the battery and puttied a couple of razor blades--either side of the hood latch. A couple of weeks later, or so, it 'looked' like someone tried it again, but left without the battery. ;)

And today he'd probably get sued for that, like the Krogers thief kid who lost his "job" as a thief.

Nobama 2012

Idk about the thief just happening to have the same radio. A cop friend of mine said that the come back for the trash thing happens quite a bit. It litterally takes 2 minutes and a screw driver to get my stereo out. Maybe he thought it was mounted with a cage and tried with those 2 thin tools and couldn't get it out. Maybe he will be back tonight....the putty and razors are a good idea....maybe ill put some in the door handle and hopefully remember they are there in the morning.

No windows on my garage doors....f that!

Thieves die!!! Sorry to hear about your faceplate. I would definitely trap somehow. What thief is going to report an injury from trying to break into your shit.....never mind.....simple minded bastards typically.

He came back. I was out in my garage till 5am drinking beer and tinkering with my Honda project when I hear someone pull up and park right infront of my driveway. I killed the motion lights on the outside of the garage, grabbed a 3 lb sledge and headed out the side door. He was walking towards my car when he saw me, I brandished the hammer and he turned around and double-timed it to his truck and tore ass down the road.